News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

disneygeek90

I'm very interested to see how they handle this once people are paying an additional fee to ride.
That was exactly what I was thinking about while going through the experience tonight.

Final report of night: Joined group at 6:20pm, called at 8:46. No pre shows but my first order officer definitely knew and tried to fill in where possible. Kylo AA was back, and the canon room is still pretending as if the canons are operating.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
We made it!!! So excited will be our first time!

Attachments

• 30991F39-49C6-47CD-AF36-89273432D836.png
    30991F39-49C6-47CD-AF36-89273432D836.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 54

RoadiJeff

Got boarding group 43! Tried to time so I didn’t get an early one since the rest of my party won’t be at the park till around 11.
I did that once, trying to get an afternoon BG when my group was park hopping and they wouldn't be at HS until the afternoon. I got BG 11 and I went up to a cast member at a blue umbrella and asked if she could bump my number to something higher. She reached into her bag of pixie dust on her laptop and changed it to an unrestricted BG, meaning I could walk up to ROTR any time of the day and get on it. It worked out perfectly and I waited until that afternoon to use it.

Joel

Hey all, your friendly neighborhood API investigator here.

The latest change to the BG process is a slight step in the right direction and hopefully the start of a larger reworking. It's still a mostly cosmetic change, though, and not as far as I'd like to see them go toward making the system simpler and less error-prone.

Yes, your party is now "pre-selected and confirmed"... but it essentially was before, too. The only meaningful differences are:
  1. It won't let you select someone who isn't eligible, like you could previously.
  2. Because of (1), you aren't automatically pre-selected all the time, which was just a bug that conveniently made it possible for people to practice the entire process before their trip.
Now here's my biggest problem: there are still two join buttons you have to tap through. The first one takes you to this screen:

IMG_4091.jpg

This is better than before, where you were presented with your entire friends/family list, each with a checkbox that understandably confused many into thinking you needed to scroll through your list to make sure everyone was properly selected.

Still, what's even the point of this screen? If not for the historically anomalous absurdity we're all currently experiencing, you wouldn't have time to read any of that text -- and certainly not to change your party -- before all the boarding groups were snatched up. Besides, you already told the app you wanted to join the queue -- why do you have to do it again?

As others have pointed out, Disney has recently added an "isAcceptingPartyCreation" key to the getQueues API response, which could mean they eventually intend to allow you to select your party before the queue opens. This would enable them to eliminate this second screen and the additional point of failure caused by its associated network request during the extremely time-sensitive portion of the process. This is the way (as I think I've proven).

Anyway, it's better than it was, but it could, should, and hopefully will be even better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom