Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

KrzyKtty

I wonder how many people would pay to see a broadway show but if you want to hear the dialogue you have to pay extra. Only at Disney can they charge you admission to ride the rides and then if you don't want to spent most of your time standing in line you can pay extra.
Actually, I'm pretty sure just about all theme parks do that... So saying only at Disney isn't exactly accurate lol

DCLcruiser

CaptainAmerica

I asked the question of whether it was worth it from those who have been on the ride. People have been doing crazy things to get on that ride since it opened, maybe there is some kind of pixie dust you inhale that makes 24 a pop not crazy. I can’t see us paying that, but who knows. It would definitely be a hard pill to swallow.
I doubt it will be $24. Maybe on like... Christmas morning.

Either way. No, don't pay for it.

KrzyKtty

Well considering I was willing to pay for a VIP tour just to ensure that I got to ride the ride, because I didn't feel like leaving it to the chance of the RotR morning lottery, this still puts me way ahead 🤣. I'll save almost $5,000 by just getting to buy a LL rather than the VIP tour. Unless the LL is the second morning lottery 🤦.

EeyoreFan#24

This makes me wonder how this will effect Single Rider lines as Rat has this. Plus groups will Weasle their way just to jump into the ride quicker and not utilizing the LL system..

haven’t seen anything official either, but makes me think single rider lines will quietly go away and will be handled by the standby queue. Just my speculation.

corran horn

I wonder how many people would pay to see a broadway show but if you want to hear the dialogue you have to pay extra. Only at Disney can they charge you admission to ride the rides and then if you don't want to spent most of your time standing in line you can pay extra.
Well, Universal was doing this too, for years. But I take your point

KingdomofDreams

I think you should accept that if you can afford all this, you are wealthy. If you don’t like the word wealthy, then at least better off than most. Nothing wrong with that, as my family is in that category too. The $60/day won’t be a big deal to us and I’ll happily pay it to try to cut down on time my preschoolers spend in line.

But there are a lot of people who work hard to save up so they can pay for gas, a cheap hotel or campground, and probably the biggest expense for them, tickets. For those people it is a big deal to add the extra fee. I’m not saying Disney is evil or doing anything wrong. Honestly it’s cheaper than I expected. But it’s understandable for people to be upset about it.

I hope Genie (the free service) does help people who can’t afford they charge have a more pleasant day, personally.
Actually, no. Not even remotely close to wealthy. I work very hard for a modest wage, live simply, budget carefully and save all I can towards our trips. I am quite aware that there are many less fortunate than myself. No matter what someone's financial status is, there will always be many who are less fortunate financially. I was strictly speaking for myself in what I posted. Others have different opinions and priorities and I respect that and would never try to lecture them because of it, personally.

Missing20K

Let me sum up the five types of people posting in the thread about this horrible "service".

1. The person who CANNOT simply understand this. "Lighting Lanes are only for Tier 1s?" "Is it free for AP?" "Is Genie and Genie+ the same?" "What about MDE?"
2. The person responding to these endless questions. "Lightning Lane is just the line! It's not the service!"
3. The person DEFENDING this decision. "ACHSHULLY, I think this could be a great addition. It's just like MAXPASS! I LOVE MAXPASS! Didn't you guys love MAXPASS????"
4. The person, correctly, complaining. "Magic subject to terms and conditions."
5. The weirdos who have had endless conversations about why the Individual Attraction Purchases haven't been branded. "Can you BELIEVE that they didn't brand this? It could be 3 Wishes! Or The Scrooge McDuck Choice! Or how about Magic Carpet? That would go well with the Genie!"
Sonofa…..

Now I gotta figure out which one I am. Probably a bit of 1, mostly 4, with a dash of 5 😆

pdude81

I expect there to be an asterisk on this since you can reserve before the park opens. I.e. 90/120 minutes, with the earliest time being 90/120 minutes after park open.
IIRC when I used Maxpass we were able to enter early from an on site hotel and reserve the fastpass for park open time at RSR. As soon as that pass was used I was able to make one for another ride. Then we were able to make another one quickly at that point and use it, but afterward a delay kicked in and we had to wait. I only used it a few days so I didn't learn the ins and outs of the algorithm.

For WDW it's anybody's guess how this will work.

DCLcruiser

Let me sum up the five types of people posting in the thread about this horrible "service".

1. The person who CANNOT simply understand this. "Lighting Lanes are only for Tier 1s?" "Is it free for AP?" "Is Genie and Genie+ the same?" "What about MDE?"
2. The person responding to these endless questions. "Lightning Lane is just the line! It's not the service!"
3. The person DEFENDING this decision. "ACHSHULLY, I think this could be a great addition. It's just like MAXPASS! I LOVE MAXPASS! Didn't you guys love MAXPASS????"
4. The person, correctly, complaining. "Magic subject to terms and conditions."
5. The weirdos who have had endless conversations about why the Individual Attraction Purchases haven't been branded. "Can you BELIEVE that they didn't brand this? It could be 3 Wishes! Or The Scrooge McDuck Choice! Or how about Magic Carpet? That would go well with the Genie!"
lol so what's the point of genie+ then? getting a reserve time for its tough to be a bug 2 hours from now?
Genie+ gives you unlimited (one at a time) fast passes for the typical FP rides. So for AK: Na'vi, Dinosaur, EE, TTBAB, Rapids, etc.

IAS would let you buy a ticket to FoP or KS.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
lol so what's the point of genie+ then? getting a reserve time for its tough to be a bug 2 hours from now?
At DAK, after the FoP and EE (or KS) is taken off the menu, then it might not be worth it to get G+$ for your DAK day.

However, if you're going at a busy time and lines for DINOSAUR and NRJ are getting close to 40 minutes, then what G+$ can do is to pretty much 'schedule' your attendance at the rides (and shows with LL, such as FotLK and the new Kites show) such that you don't have to wait in 40 minute lines.

People say they enjoy NRJ, but it's not worth any amount of wait. Well, grab a LL and don't wait.

Raineman

Your Broadway ticket entitles you to see the show.

You have to pay extra if you want good seats in the front.
The analogy that I believe describes the current situation: you buy a ticket to a baseball game for $100. Included in this ticket is a hot dog, nachos and a drink. You have been buying this same seat for multiple seasons. On the next homestand, you get the same seat-except now, team/stadium management has removed the food from the price of your seat, so now you pay $100 for the same seat, and have to pay the extra $20 for the food. You still have the option to pay more for better seats, but you are now paying more to get the same thing you got before with the purchase of the seat you currently have.

CaptainAmerica

The analogy that I believe describes the current situation: you buy a ticket to a baseball game for $100. Included in this ticket is a hot dog, nachos and a drink. You have been buying this same seat for multiple seasons. On the next homestand, you get the same seat-except now, team/stadium management has removed the food from the price of your seat, so now you pay $100 for the same seat, and have to pay the extra $20 for the food. You still have the option to pay more for better seats, but you are now paying more to get the same thing you got before with the purchase of the seat you currently have.
I disagree.

Genie+ is not the same product as FastPass+, it's better. It's better because fewer people are using it.

To keep your analogy going, you have to pay $20 extra for the food, but it's not the same hot dog you used to get. It's a sausage and peppers with a beer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom