Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I feel this price might be the problem. Everyone hates it and for different reasons. 15$ +4-25$ "it's to much for my family " or "to many people will buy it at this low price so it's really no benefit".

No one batted an eye over vip tours because most just didn't even think of buying it. But with it being 15$ pp aka 1 extra meal.. lots will just buy it thinking I already spent so much might as well make the best of this trip".

Disney really missed the mark.. they could have offered onsite guests free 3 fp. Capped out than upcharged for more. Dvc/deluxe/ap get it free. And off-site pay full price. Than made the single ride upcharge stay but at a set price.

I don't think this many folks would be this angry if that happened.
I am going to guarantee that freebies to hotels was never gonna happen…perhaps they use it as a promotional tool if necessary…but just for that reason.
I also have nothing resembling hard evidence to back this up…but I know it to be true.
Nope, not a millennial. Are you an octogenarian?

Don’t worry, nobody here actually expected you to admit that you acted foolish last night, but we all saw it with our own eyes.

Now, please resume your crazy ranting and raving and yelling at everyone in this thread who doesn’t discuss capacity and capacity alone.
Some days I’m 11…some days I’m 81…some days I feel pretty…some days not so much.

the rant lecture is cute…you know they put the time and dates on the posts, right?

you have an out…take it. There’s no “victory” here to be had. Evacuate the embassy (poor timed joke…I know)

Last edited:

dreday3

Ignoring pricing talk, I feel insane seeing so many people say they prefer the 60 day window for FP+ and that this is more complicated. saying “it was so easy to get whatever FP you wanted” when the caveat was you just had to constantly refresh the app all the time.

At its core, it’s MaxPass, which I used exactly one time and immediately loved. Being upset about the price, whatever, but the main system itself is good!

I was surprised the biggest gripe was needing to be awake at 7 am. :D

I'm on my way to work by 5:30 am and up by 7 on the weekends, so that's probably why it's (the time, not the cost) is not a problem for me. We won't leave the room that early (unless we are rope-dropping somewhere), but I can wake up, make a reservation and have coffee/breakfast at resort.

I get others are different, I was just surprised, that's all.

Waters Back Side

As I said before, I don't hate it as much as I thought I would - it's mostly doing the refresh strategy all day with a $15 charge. Plus a daily morning Lightening Lane "should I shouldn't I" conundrum. I think it's mostly the principle that I find a mood and magic killer at the moment. It's kinda like if your date suggests hey, maybe they could actually pay you for a goodnight kiss and a few 'extras'... once you cross that threshold, no going back to the same place you were before emotionally. With Disney, maybe I'll get over it in a few years, maybe not, I'll wait and see.
This is the only questionable part of the system.

For a day at MK, most of the genie + rides will be available at any time you check. The issue is some might be available at a much later time of the day. I've never been to DL. Is Genie + similar to Max Pass or identical to it?

If I can wake up at 7am and book my most prioritized Lightning Pass with Genie + for as early as possible in the day, like 10am for instance with a window of 10-11 am...based in an earlier poster right at 10:01 an after ride check in you can can book another LP. If that LP is for a ride you really want but the earliest availability is 5pm...DO I HAVE to wait until 5:01 pm to book another or can I book one at 11:30 (90 minutes after the 2nd LP selection). And then again at 1pm and 2:30 etc.

That's the part that is blurry.

mab7689

Don't you just love tradition? Tradition says you must vacay in August. Your options:
1) buck tradition -- negotiate with your boss and travel some other time of year
2) go somewhere else -- pick a less popular destination that will have lower prices because nobody's going there
3) become a travel professional -- now, traveling off-times and to off-peak locations IS your business, so you have no "August dilemma."
1. Did you miss my previous comment where I said I'm a teacher in the UK so bound by our term times? I can't just 'negotiate with my boss". Easter and Christmas would be even worse so I don't want to do those.
2. I also have been to other places but Florida is my favourite so I want to keep going back.
3. Leaving and retraining in another career with a decent salary and pension is easier said than done.

Last edited:

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I think you're confusing self esteem culture with capitalism. Self esteem culture = give me a sticker, a cookie, a plastic trophy, and tons of praise for showing up. Capitalism = I give you dollars and you give me stuff. Once we introduce my dollars into that equation, then yes, I have a right to set my own standards about what is 'worth it' to me, and the seller has to meet them or I am free to walk away.
You can but it doesn't matter to Disney. Your ticket grants you admission. Nothing else. They don't have to meet your personal expectations. You came to their business not the other way around.

Muffinpants

This is the only questionable part of the system.

For a day at MK, most of the genie + rides will be available at any time you check. The issue is some might be available at a much later time of the day. I've never been to DL. Is Genie + similar to Max Pass or identical to it?

If I can wake up at 7am and book my most prioritized Lightning Pass with Genie + for as early as possible in the day, like 10am for instance with a window of 10-11 am...based in an earlier poster right at 10:01 an after ride check in you can can book another LP. If that LP is for a ride you really want but the earliest availability is 5pm...DO I HAVE to wait until 5:01 pm to book another or can I book one at 11:30 (90 minutes after the 2nd LP selection). And then again at 1pm and 2:30 etc.

That's the part that is blurry.
Same concern here. I honestly don't mind the charge if I can do lp and lp within an hour of each other and be done with everything by 2-3.

GimpYancIent

The appeal of Disney Genie, Genie + will vary with what the guest / guests wants to do. If the guest / guests want to see how many rides and experiences can be packed into each day I see a benefit. If the guest /guests take a casual approach, take time and savor, the rides and experiences with no rush then there is not much benefit. During my and my families visits we have certain things we want to do and experience which we spread out over our visit. Certain times of the day are better than others for different rides and experiences but there is no push, no goal, for speed. Besides its about relaxing and enjoying, have enough scheduling, programming and structure in daily life don't need it at Disney.

JusticeDisney

Some days I’m 11…some days I’m 81…some days I feel pretty…some days not so much.

the rant lecture is cute…you know they put the time and dates on the posts, right?

you have an out…take it. There’s no “victory” here to be had. Evacuate the embassy (poor timed joke…I know)
Hold on. Your post didn’t have anything to do with capacity! Commence raving lunacy immediately! And round up your followers!

Sandurz

So if I understand this correctly, an average day at Disney with Genie+ might now look like this:

- Wake up at 7am and scramble to find a good FastPass at around 10:00-ish

- Rope drop

- Do your Rope Drop ride, maybe 1-2 more, eat, do your first FastPass ride

- For the rest of the day, try to line up your next FP in the manner you would have when you had used up your 3 free FPs in the free days
You’re describing the day most DL guests are used to with MaxPass which was hugely popular. The only wrinkle is the 7AM slot opening time that doesn’t require you to be in the park, which is interesting.

I promise you “having to decide what ride to ride next” is not as stressful as you think lol.

dreday3

Our October travel group was talking last night. Everyone reluctantly agreed to pay for the $15 standard Genie. Unless of course we see beforehand that's it's really not needed for most of the tier 2 rides.
Everyone is on their own on if they decide to purchase the upcharge rides or not.

Our plan at this point is to only purchase once for Rise, once for Slinky and one for Rat at 7 am. The other headliners we will just chance making rope-drop. We don't care if we don't get on FOP and we are doing Boo Bash (yes, yes, I know...) so not worried about MK headliners.
If Safari is one, I don't foresee a problem waiting in line first thing in the morning.

We are very lucky because we don't go often, but we do go for long trips. 9 days allows us to not have to worry as much about getting on rides.

And honestly, I don't know even know if it will be happening by our trip!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Also, I assume this is true but I have not seen anyone confirm it..Genie + is a day by day purchase correct? In other words if you have 5 days of park tickets but only want to buy genie + for 15 dollars for 2 of those 5 days you can. Is this accurate? It's not line a dining plan or park hopper where you purchase it for the entire length of trip?
If you buy in advance, it will be for the entire length of the ticket. If you buy it on the day of, it will be day by day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom