News Disney mask policy at Walt Disney World theme parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otterhead

Science, also shows that all those who have recovered from Covid19 have immunity and don't really need to take the vaccine
My Doctor told me I didn't need to take it
Unfortunately, that's not true. Many people who've recovered from Covid have contracted it again and can transmit the virus to others. They do not have immunity. I'm sorry that your doctor gave you incorrect advice.

CTC

If the CDC recommends masking again indoors, I expect Disney to follow. Either that or a major outbreak amongst their employees will force their hand. You can't have a positivity rate north of 20% in the local area and not expect outbreaks amongst the employees or hotel guests. Delta takes about 2-3 days to show symptoms and that will translate eventually to folks falling ill while on vacation. The honor system clearly does not work as every child under 12 and older than 2 should be wearing a mask indoors and that is clearly not happening.

We know masking works because at the height of the pandemic, our schools here in the suburbs of NY and NJ stayed open. When masks were worn, there was literally no viral transmission when students were in close proximity. When students or staff were not masking (outside of school), people got sick.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Masks of the correct type and worn properly reduce transmission but there is absolutely no proof that mask mandates do anything to reduce community spread. The data is quite abundantly clear on that.

People who don’t want to wear masks but are forced to tend to wear the wrong kind of mask and do so haphazardly to the point they are completely ineffective; particularly because most of these people temporarily remove them in public settings to cough or sneeze.

Data to the contrary...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Science clearly shows I am super vaccinated since I not only took the vaccine but also recovered from Covid19 last November. As for those around me, all my friends and family have taken the vaccine too and a couple of them also recovered from Covid19 in the Spring of 2020. Science, also shows that all those who have recovered from Covid19 have immunity and don't really need to take the vaccine. It is only the stupid government that is demanding we all take the vaccine. My Doctor told me I didn't need to take it and that my desire to delay taking it so others could was the right thing to do. It was only because I wanted to travel and was afraid I would be required to show my card that I got my shots in February and March. Doesn't that sound great, the government wants us to show papers to travel. WHERE HAVE I HEARD THAT BEFORE. Science says get an antibody test to see if you are protected but the government isn't doing that. Take the vaccine, then get an antibody test and if you have them you are in the 95% that are protected if you don't then you are still at risk and should protect yourself because the government won't.

Then your doctor is not following the CDC guidelines.

Tom P.

I am not going to wade back into the general mask debate again, but as regards mask policies specifically for Disney, my opinion is that if (a) there is a government mandate requiring masks and/or (b) the CDC updates its general guidance to say that vaccinated people should wear masks, then Disney will re-institute a mask requirement. Absent that, I don't think they will.

Disney Glimpses

Can you provide that data, please? I believe there's an abundance of proof that, as you say, virus transmission is hugely reduced if everyone wears masks during a pandemic. You actually contradicted yourself, by the way.
Tell that to NY and NJ. Please post the "abundance" of proof that mask mandates work. Not masks. Mask mandates.

Data to the contrary...

"Mask mandates were associated with a 0.5 percentage point decrease"

Is 0.5% aligned with the narrative surrounding masks?

By the way, there are also studies that demonstrate the opposite of this.

pdude81

Tell that to NY and NJ. Please post the "abundance" of proof that mask mandates work. Not masks. Mask mandates.

"data"
I'm in NJ, and NY and NJ did pretty well with rT relative to states without mask mandates once they started being enacted. Also NJ is the most densely populated state in the country, with the counties surrounding NYC being of similar density. Upstate NY is completely different so that makes direct comparisons tricky.

Let us not forget that proximity to other human beings is a pretty big factor too in regards to spread, and that is part of the early rapid spread before we started implementing any sort of mask policy outside of a medical setting.

LaughingGravy

Lambda variant is now being reported as 82% of new cases in Peru.
As predicted and certainly mentioned here, the longer this goes on, the more variants there will be. Delta is reportedly much more contagious than the original.
Research is being done on the Lambda, but like Delta, it's not waiting for results to be reported before spreading.

We are fortunate in the US that we have access to effective vaccines.
Others are not, making this problem worse by variants developing in a petri dish of unvaccinated people.

I guess we just wait until more people are directly affected here. It's really sad.

All this talk about "'muh freedom", yet laws regarding wearing clothes, drivers licenses, etc., and especially for required vaccinations for mumps, rubella, measles, and polio are OK. And they are!

We live in a society governed by laws.
Yet, some want the benefits without the relative little bit of sacrifice that comes with compliance of laws, instantly jumping to references of WW II fascists as an excuse if there's something they don't agree with 100%.
Slippery slope arguments are sad. This is life or death stuff, with it pretty much proven what's best for life. 100% in every case, of course not. But, what is?

Disney Glimpses

Then your doctor is not following the CDC guidelines.

The CDC guidelines don't follow the science and still refuses to offer the scientific evidence used to create their policies like how they arrived at age 2 for the mask recommendation.

And doctors care about their patients. I know several people who's PCPs are telling them the same exact thing (which is supported by study after study after study): if you had a previous infection and are otherwise healthy, you are as protected as someone who is vaccinated.

Otterhead

I just want to say -- when I commented on masks over at another Diz site that offers News Today, I got a steady stream of mockery and Muh Freedoms.

It's very refreshing and heartening to be on a Disney board and see that most people understand how science and health work, and that sometimes keeping other people safe is more important than whether you feel silly wearing a piece of cloth for a few hours. So thank you.

Gomer

NJ had more cases and mortality over the winter per 100,000 residents than FL did.
This is misleading. You can't compare seasonality across regions and expect to draw conclusive results. Even taking out the factors of prevalence of different variants or demographics in different regions, just the simple fact that winter in the North East (a time forcing people indoors resulting in increased spread and viral loads in new cases) is vastly different than winter in Florida (A time when people migrate towards outdoor activities due to the pleasant weather) makes the two incomparable.

There will never be a definitive answer on which everyone agrees in the perpetual ing contest of which states did the right thing, because the differing variables are too numerous to ever objectively determine how similar measures would bring results in a vastly different environment.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Lambda variant is now being reported as 82% of new cases in Peru.
As predicted and certainly mentioned here, the longer this goes on, the more variants there will be. Delta is reportedly much more contagious than the original.
Research is being done on the Lambda, but like Delta, it's not waiting for results to be reported before spreading.

We are fortunate in the US that we have access to effective vaccines.
Others are not, making this problem worse by variants developing in a petri dish of unvaccinated people.
This is the worrying part of poor vaccination roll outs in some countries. The virus has more chance to mutate and potentially evade the vaccines that we already have.

Parker in NYC

I predict that WDW will bring back indoor mask requirements. At least folks still have them for transportation.

God save the poor cast members but hey, no one forced them to work at the world’s most popular theme park enterprise during a pandemic.

Otterhead

God save the poor cast members
I really do feel for them; they've gotten a tremendous level of abuse from guests during all of this.

When I visited with family last October (it seemed like a good idea at the time), on the first day my father-in-law was leaving a restaurant and had forgotten his mask. A CM asked him to put it on and he immediately did and apologized. We walked on, and a few moments later the CM caught up with us and thanked us for not yelling at her, and said "you don't know what it's been like". That was the first time I realized how awful a lot of guests had been about masks.

Disney Glimpses

This is misleading. You can't compare seasonality across regions and expect to draw conclusive results. Even taking out the factors of prevalence of different variants or demographics in different regions, just the simple fact that winter in the North East (a time forcing people indoors resulting in increased spread and viral loads in new cases) is vastly different than winter in Florida (A time when people migrate towards outdoor activities due to the pleasant weather) makes the two incomparable.

There will never be a definitive answer on which everyone agrees in the perpetual ****ing contest of which states did the right thing, because the differing variables are too numerous to ever objectively determine how similar measures would bring results in a vastly different environment.
Overall, through the entire course of the pandemic, Florida faired better than almost every northeastern state despite having no mask mandates. People wore masks in Florida. Some stores required them. They just weren't required to by law.

Disney Glimpses

I predict that WDW will bring back indoor mask requirements. At least folks still have them for transportation.
What benefit is there to WDW to voluntarily bring back mask requirements when they can point to the CDC right now for the reason they do not require them? The answer is none.

God save the poor cast members but hey, no one forced them to work at the world’s most popular theme park enterprise during a pandemic.
This is a weird take.

Parker in NYC

I really do feel for them; they've gotten a tremendous level of abuse from guests during all of this.

When I visited with family last October (it seemed like a good idea at the time), on the first day my father-in-law was leaving a restaurant and had forgotten his mask. A CM asked him to put it on and he immediately did and apologized. We walked on, and a few moments later the CM caught up with us and thanked us for not yelling at her, and said "you don't know what it's been like". That was the first time I realized how awful a lot of guests had been about masks.
It’s devastating to hear about. But unfortunately, if we’ve learned anything in the last year and a half - it’s that there are people who were just waiting to break the rules. It’s part of their psyches. It’s reprehensible and they should be tossed from the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom