Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

celluloid

Am I missing something in the Leonard Maltin quote? I'm not seeing where he's defending the movie, all I see is him saying Disney should do a rerelease of the film in the style of Walt Disney Treasures series which had similar styled introductions for the controversial shorts in the sets.

Yeah, you got it. It seems he is pretty obviously asking for there to be a proper introduction so the movie can not be altered, preserved so we do not dodge history, and understand what mistakes may have been made in the production, but celebrate the strengths and not demonize the positive people and messages involved. James Earl Jones was actually pitched to narrate/host the introduction.

Sharon&Susan

Except by that point SOTS was already considered problematic at least by TWDC. Certainly enough to never release it on home video.
It was rereleased in theaters a year prior to Splash Mountain's opening. The SOTS ultimatum didn't happen until after the ride opened and even then it took years for it to take effect in all territories with there being some home video releases in other territories.

It's also important to note that when Splash Mountain started development and even into construction not all of the classics had even made it to home video yet.

Last edited:

celluloid

I'm sure the source material was considered problematic... but they clearly felt that they had distinguished Splash from SOTS enough so as to not raise a fuss. After all, how silly of them to clone an attraction in 2 other parks if they truly felt it was so controversial.

Not to mention of the various ways the source material's media was represented and proudly displayed as parts of theme park attractions, venues and shows long before Splash Mountain.

I have a hard time finding any major Disney movie that was not boycotted due to stereotypes or concerns of pushing propaganda or agendas.
Again, it is ok to side with that concern, or attempt to understand those concerns and is healthy to, but people continue to be extremists and want to demonize, to the point where that would make it seem like half of the main cast would be called Uncle Toms. I have seen it. That is nasty and moronic.

Times were different in what was careful in film. More specifically in society outside of entertainment. That was wrong. I personally choose to focus on the good that Walt Disney did because it was pretty darn bold to have a dark skinned main character teaching kids morals on film, to show the kids together including a white hand holding a black hand is a pretty important tableau like moment. It seems ironic we target such a film when it was what helped bring the winds of change.

By demonizing in absolutes it comes across like we are just creating the same crap people try when they say how Anti-Semitic Walt was, which there is zero truth to as well but now permeates pop culture thanks to urban legend solidifying.

Floyd Norman still delivers some powerful points. And if you don't take opinions of other fans or average guests/consumers or Leonard Maltin, I would hope you would say his expert opinion and cultural background is pretty valid. https://thedisneyblog.com/2015/03/31/disney-animator-praises-song-of-the-south/#:~:text=Former Disney animator Floyd Norman was just a,film on DVD, he does come “this” close.

Last edited:

celluloid

It's also important to note that when Splash Mountain started development and even into construction not all of the classics had even made it to home video yet.
Exactly. It was a very different method of releases. The main way people saw Disney classics then were in theatrical re-release in general. That started while Walt was still alive to give new audiences bonding with their parents. Disney as a company has poorly tried ever since with the vault. Home video was still relatively in its infancy.

CaptinEO

I couldn't help but click Show Ignored Content with the quoted swill in that post.

"Can you give an example of another piece of media more problematic than Song of the South?"

This is where we're at, folks. I think we're coming in for a landing on George Lucas' time here. Song of the South is now worse than Birth of a Nation!
Likewise, I'm about to join the ranks of Darkbeer and TP2000 and head out.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Part of the reason SoTS was probably used was because of the simplicity of the story surrounding the animated sequences and the commercial popularity of the soundtracks at the time lended itself a perfect canvas storytelling. In retrospect I actually think Robin Hood may have been a better/preferred canvas for the AS AAs at the time and more commercially popular.

I’d argue that a documentary style explanation isn’t a bad idea. Even though I do believe SoTS as a movie is slow and meandering (and perhaps cringeworthy for its historical inaccuracies), I also think some of these “linkages” and negative intentions are borderline online conspiratorial. For example, the fact that there’s a rush to strip the instrumental soundtrack of Zip-a-dee-do-dah seems like an overreaction.

And in terms of media I’d argue it’s worthy of discussion, since for years Disney themselves (for the last 30 years) uniquely promoted aspects of the film in the cultural lexicon while simultaneously hiding the full film from public view and as a result the company itself is responsible for some of the more toxic division in the fandom.

As someone who had a VHS Sing-Along-Song featuring the film, I do understand why folks have a sentimental connection to the animated characters and songs, and why they’re defensive of the legacy of the characters. But given the difficulty separating outdated stereotypes in the film in today’s society, I do get why it’s time to move on. And the company that tried to “have its cake and eat it too” for decades should do a better contextualizing this than a handful of sloppy DPB posts. I just hope they handle the actual retheme with less haste and more thoughtfulness.

Mac Tonight

Y'all keep saying you're going to leave and never do.
Its funny you mention that, because for a few weeks now I've been debating leaving myself. I started small and made the choice to not go on here over weekends and wow, did it make a difference! But leaving entirely always seemed... a bit too drastic, especially since there are still people here I want to keep in touch with. Plus, I never really felt like an official "announcement" was necessary (who am I anyways?). I was just merely going to stop actively posting, keep my DM's open, and lurk whenever big news broke. And now, after giving it some more thought, I think your statement was the push I needed. :)

I've been active on here since 2017 (under a few different identities), and when I retired the first couple, I just drifted away into the night without a word, and no one really even seemed to notice... So maybe this time, I'll actually say "goodbye".

Be good to each other, and remember, as Walt Disney always said, "May we never lose sight of one thing... it's just a theme park!"

-M.T.

I will never be gone... just difficult to find.

celluloid

You said it all better than I ever could. Here since 2003. Remember how different the site was then? Videos and premium accounts. It was pre youtube blowing up and we could get onride povs if we paid for them. I am headed into the Briar Patch. Which is home, and not the internet.

Californian Elitist

Original Poster
Its funny you mention that, because for a few weeks now I've been debating leaving myself. I started small and made the choice to not go on here over weekends and wow, did it make a difference! But leaving entirely always seemed... a bit too drastic, especially since there are still people here I want to keep in touch with. Plus, I never really felt like an official "announcement" was necessary (who am I anyways?). I was just merely going to stop actively posting, keep my DM's open, and lurk whenever big news broke. And now, after giving it some more thought, I think your statement was the push I needed. :)

I've been active on here since 2017 (under a few different identities), and when I retired the first couple, I just drifted away into the night without a word, and no one really even seemed to notice... So maybe this time, I'll actually say "goodbye".

Be good to each other, and remember, as Walt Disney always said, "May we never lose sight of one thing... it's just a theme park!"

-M.T.

I will never be gone... just difficult to find.
It’s actually very healthy and nice to take mental breaks from this place, especially since tensions have risen ever since the pandemic started. I’ve taken a few breaks, one of them lasting what seemed to be months. Like you, I don’t tell everyone here that I’m going to take a break. I just do.

I too don’t think I’ll ever permanently leave. But folks are free to do as they please. Instead of making empty threats about leaving to garner attention, especially since few, if no one, will care, just take a break or just stop lying to yourself. There will be new users replacing those who’ve left.🤷🏾‍♀️

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
It was rereleased in theaters a year prior to Splash Mountain's opening. The SOTS ultimatum didn't happen until after the ride opened and even then it took years for it to take effect in all territories with there being some home video releases in other territories.
2001 was the cutoff for Song being sold in other countries, so it only had roughly 10 years left after Splash WDW opened

EagleScout610

Premium Member
5435290260_707270f3f9_b.jpg

A very Zip a Dee Doo Dah 32nd Birthday to the OG Splash Mountain!

SplashGhost

I was at the park today and this had the longest wait of everything throughout both parks for most of the day. If the ride was so offensive, it wouldn't be this popular. Disney is wasting money by retheming one of their most popular rides. That money could get to something important like fixing Tomorrowland.

I was really upset that I didn't get to ride Splash today. I was in line for it once the wait was shorter, and it broke down for the rest of the night then. I really hate these 10pm closings, under a normal Saturday 12am closing, I would have been able to ride it as much as I wanted to after 10pm and also have the log to myself making it a much better experience.

EagleScout610

Premium Member
https:///2021/07/splash-mountain-re...Vk3aflv5VZI9OTbyahrvhYaTzde1VrNwBd7rPq4ww28U8
Nothing new, still the same

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom