So, You Want to be an Imagineer - Season 19 Hype Thread

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Asking for real advice here: so I'm biting the bullet and considering taking a second degree here in the Philippines that's related to Themed Entertainment/Entertainment Design (seeing as my actual degree isn't aligning with my creative visualizations done during COVID). What should I go for: Creative Writing (a BA) or Visual Communication (a BFA that I think requires a talent test so that's gonna be harder for me as a non-drawer)?

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Asking for real advice here: so I'm biting the bullet and considering taking a second degree here in the Philippines that's related to Themed Entertainment/Entertainment Design (seeing as my actual degree isn't aligning with my creative visualizations done during COVID). What should I go for: Creative Writing (a BA) or Visual Communication (a BFA that I think requires a talent test so that's gonna be harder for me as a non-drawer)?
If you don’t draw/design/etc then I think that answers your question; go with Creative Writing.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
If you don’t draw/design/etc then I think that answers your question; go with Creative Writing.
My only qualm with that is that I won't be able to practice my (admittedly meager) drawing/design skills in school if ever, which I think is a required skill at Imagineering. I do design from time to time, but I doubt it's enough that it would get a nod during the talent test evaluations.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
My only qualm with that is that I won't be able to practice my (admittedly meager) drawing/design skills in school if ever, which I think is a required skill at Imagineering. I do design from time to time, but I doubt it's enough that it would get a nod during the talent test evaluations.
Would you be able to work on those skills on your own time?? If you don’t think you have the skills to get into that degree program right now then it seems like a moot point; you’d just need to develop those skills more independently. You could still use things you create outside of school in your portfolio when you’re trying to break into the field. Start working on it now, the competitions on this forum are a great place to test yourself!

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Would you be able to work on those skills on your own time?? If you don’t think you have the skills to get into that degree program right now then it seems like a moot point; you’d just need to develop those skills more independently. You could still use things you create outside of school in your portfolio when you’re trying to break into the field. Start working on it now, the competitions on this forum are a great place to test yourself!
Yeah, I agree. Joining competitions on here definitely help squeeze my creative juices, though mostly I've done creative writing pieces on here than art pieces. 1SC is actually helping me write more concisely, for example, while still aiming for blue-sky concepts (the WDSP Imagination Arcade I did comes to mind). I just don't know how will I exhibit that (and my other personal works on here) in a future portfolio though!

JokersWild

Original Poster
Yeah I'd definitely go for creative writing and get your foot in the door with your other aspirations through extracurriculars. I don't know how it is in The Philippines, but at my college you could just sign up for most any class, so you could even just throw some beginner Visual Communication classes into your schedule if you have the space for it.

montydysquith-navarro

In the Parks
No
Yeah I'd definitely go for creative writing and get your foot in the door with your other aspirations through extracurriculars. I don't know how it is in The Philippines, but at my college you could just sign up for most any class, so you could even just throw some beginner Visual Communication classes into your schedule if you have the space for it.
I'll have to call the college first to inquire about the second degree applications and try to work it out since I've done most of the general education classes (and then some) already in my first degree. I do recall old batchmates of mine who cross-registered in other colleges within the university, so taking those beginner Visual Communication classes is possible. I'd have to check with the college offering that class though if it doesn't require any pre-requisite classes or something.

tcool123

Yeah, I agree. Joining competitions on here definitely help squeeze my creative juices, though mostly I've done creative writing pieces on here than art pieces. 1SC is actually helping me write more concisely, for example, while still aiming for blue-sky concepts (the WDSP Imagination Arcade I did comes to mind). I just don't know how will I exhibit that (and my other personal works on here) in a future portfolio though!
@TheDesignPirate while no longer active on these forums for reasons beyond out control 😉 was able to make all her past concept art into a portfolio on her blog that specializes on her Imagineering art. I would def recommend a look over:

Her Mary Blair esque artwork was hiw she started in the forums with the bottom drawings being some of the earliest works, and her mixed realism drawings are some of her newest. Some great stuff!

Suchomimus

One more land for Disneyland Singapore to go:
Blog%2B-%2BSuper%2BKingdom%2B8d.png

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I would say just pick and choose the best elements of everything you do. Especially these days, everything is digital! It’s not like you would necessarily need to have printouts of all your work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom