News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

jaklgreen

Let’s be real. They struggle to attract enough good CMs. There are people who can now work for the company who are HUGE parks fans. We will see more awesome CMs. Is a CM with a butterfly tattoo who loves their job better or worse than one without visible tattoos who couldn’t care less about the job?

You are not going to see your kids exposed to some deviant. Take your hands off the pearls.

I love this because my daughter has a butterfly tattoo on her arm and said that she can now apply for the College program if it opens back up when I showed her this. She is a totally normal, decent human being that happens to have a tattoo.

jayb2190

If people really wanting to complain about the Disney experience, there is a number of other things they can scream about. Increase of prices from tickets and hotels to food/drinks, the amount of actual "perks" with your Disney stay, transportation, speed of construction, etc....

el_super

Just because something is available for sale to guests doesn't mean that it fits the official Disney Look guidelines for CMs.

I think you may have missed the forrest for the trees here... If a tattooing practice is so ubiquitous within a culture that it warrants representation in an EPCOT pavilion, how does it seem right to ban the practice of that culture within the cast?

DavidNoble

This is simply the lowering of standards. People may squawk and yell at that as if it's not the case, but it's the truth.

Some companies and inustries still have standards. Large succesful airlines, for example, don't allow their airport or in-flight staff to have visible tattoos and purple hair and weird piercings. It makes the flying public nervous.

In-N-Out Burger here in SoCal, as another example of a company that still has high standards. Their employees obey strict grooming and appearance standards, and they look great! Their sharp appearance matches their extremely courteous and efficient work habits.

Disneyland used to have standards like that. It was all part of making sure Disneyland was the star, and everything else (including employees) were merely in the supporting role.

"Disneyland is the star. Everything else is in the supporting role." -Walt Disney, 1961

But that old Walt idea is unfashionable now. Now, it's... Every Role A Starring Role! Every CM flipping burgers or waving a flashlight at parade crowds or cleaning out the oil from the bottom of the popcorn machine is a STAR! (SPOILER: They actually aren't, and their company doesn't treat them like a star, but let's pretend and maybe they won't notice?):rolleyes:

All Disney has done here is lower the standards of Disney theme park CM's to that of Wal-Mart or McDonald's employees. Disney CM's no longer have to live up to higher standards like In-N-Out Burger. It's not really a surprise, as it's been happening in the US parks for over 20 years now. Lower maintenance standards, lower customer service standards, lower showmanship standards. This is simply the latest step down to lower standards; now including employee grooming and appearance.

Not surprisingly, none of these new appearance rules apply at Tokyo Disneyland. They still have higher standards there.

How so? How does having tattoos, purple hair, and weird piercings make the flying public nervous? Does having those things make you less capable of performing the job you've been hired for?

disneygeek90

So, as a former CM, would you have gotten tatted up and dyed your hair purple if these standards existed back then?

And how would that help the show as you dispatched pirate boats at Peter Pan's Flight or narrated a tour through the canals of Storybook Land?

How does tats and purple hair and black fingernails improve the Disneyland show exactly?

Full Disclosure: I don't think that stuff does improve the Disneyland show. I liked it when Disneyland had high standards for their employees matching In-N-Out or Nordstrom or Delta Airlines, not low standards matching Wal-Mart or Burger King or the Gas-N-Go.
You still can’t have purple hair. And the tattoo needs to be smaller than your hand. Did you even read the guide?

Club Cooloholic

This is simply the lowering of standards. People may squawk and yell at that as if it's not the case, but it's the truth.

Some companies and inustries still have standards. Large succesful airlines, for example, don't allow their airport or in-flight staff to have visible tattoos and purple hair and weird piercings. It makes the flying public nervous.

In-N-Out Burger here in SoCal, as another example of a company that still has high standards. Their employees obey strict grooming and appearance standards, and they look great! Their sharp appearance matches their extremely courteous and efficient work habits.

Disneyland used to have standards like that. It was all part of making sure Disneyland was the star, and everything else (including employees) were merely in the supporting role.

"Disneyland is the star. Everything else is in the supporting role." -Walt Disney, 1961

But that old Walt idea is unfashionable now. Now, it's... Every Role A Starring Role! Every CM flipping burgers or waving a flashlight at parade crowds or cleaning out the oil from the bottom of the popcorn machine is a STAR! (SPOILER: They actually aren't, and their company doesn't treat them like a star, but let's pretend and maybe they won't notice?):rolleyes:

All Disney has done here is lower the standards of Disney theme park CM's to that of Wal-Mart or McDonald's employees. Disney CM's no longer have to live up to higher standards like In-N-Out Burger. It's not really a surprise, as it's been happening in the US parks for over 20 years now. Lower maintenance standards, lower customer service standards, lower showmanship standards. This is simply the latest step down to lower standards; now including employee grooming and appearance.

Not surprisingly, none of these new appearance rules apply at Tokyo Disneyland. They still have higher standards there.

One persons standard is another's exclusion. You mentioned Tokyo Disneyland, you do know there are establishments in Japan that would never allow a non japanese person in there. How is that for hospitality?

91JLovesDisney

How so? How does having tattoos, purple hair, and weird piercings make the flying public nervous? Does having those things make you less capable of performing the job you've been hired for?
Those things don't make me nervous, however I always felt it was more along the lines of that the cast members aren't supposed to be noticed, or at least aren't supposed to stand out, they're just there to make your day easier, they're getting paid to work for you while you're there, if that makes any sense. Now I don't mean that in a disrespectful-servant kind of way, I just mean that we're paying to have a good time, and they're being paid to make us have an even better time. I think the former restrictions were really just aiming to make cast members look as normal and run-of-the-mill as possible, in a friendly way. This might just be me, but a cast member standing in front of the entrance to a ride with tattoos on their arms and neon-green hair doesn't exactly say 'friendly' to me.

kong1802

Those things don't make me nervous, however I always felt it was more along the lines of that the cast members aren't supposed to be noticed, or at least aren't supposed to stand out, they're just there to make your day easier, they're getting paid to work for you while you're there, if that makes any sense. Now I don't mean that in a disrespectful-servant kind of way, I just mean that we're paying to have a good time, and they're being paid to make us have an even better time. I think the former restrictions were really just aiming to make cast members look as normal and run-of-the-mill as possible, in a friendly way. This might just be me, but a cast member standing in front of the entrance to a ride with tattoos on their arms and neon-green hair doesn't exactly say 'friendly' to me.

I guess they should send their cast to the Milford School for training?

kong1802

Fortunately, looking normal isn't difficult! Phew!

What is looking normal?

ETA: Which one of these people looks normal to you?

1618407864044.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom