News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

MagicHappens1971

TP2000

Don’t know if someone’s already responded because I’m a little behind on this thread, however “
As a Cast Member at the Disneyland® Resort, the Walt Disney World® Resort, a Disney Vacation Club® property or Disney Store“, is what the book says. I’m pretty sure the international parks follow a slightly different look book.

They do.

Paris has always had very, very lack standards for CM's because of French labor laws.

Tokyo has always had very, very high standards for CM's because the Japanese actually believed Dick Nunis in 1980.

MagicHappens1971

They do.

Paris has always had very, very lack standards for CM's because of French labor laws.

Tokyo has always had very, very high standards for CM's because the Japanese actually believed Dick Nunis in 1980.
I wasn’t disputing you, I was disputing the person who responded to you. Different countries have different norms and standards, and considering that aside from DLP (now) the international parks are operated pretty much independently from the parks division here in the US. It makes sense that their uniform standards would slightly differ

TP2000

Soooo much boomer mindset in this thread. I forget that the average age on this forum is like 50.

Walt was a pre-Boomer. Or a pre-pre-Boomer?

But Walt got a lot of things right. Like making sure the park was the star, and everyone else was in a supporting role.

Also, the kids here who are 50 are Generation X. They were born in 1971. They're into rad stuff like skateboarding and tats and MTV.

xgames_banner2003tm.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

The comments in this thread have me dying.😂

So, as a former CM, would you have gotten tatted up and dyed your hair purple if these standards existed back then?

And how would that help the show as you dispatched pirate boats at Peter Pan's Flight or narrated a tour through the canals of Storybook Land?

How does tats and purple hair and black fingernails improve the Disneyland show exactly?

Full Disclosure: I don't think that stuff does improve the Disneyland show. I liked it when Disneyland had high standards for their employees matching In-N-Out or Nordstrom or Delta Airlines, not low standards matching Wal-Mart or Burger King or the Gas-N-Go.

Lilofan

Are CM's supposed to only show tats that theme to their ride or work location?

You keep using examples of CM's wearing tats that somehow theme to their environment. Does a creepy face tat of someones abuelita theme to the experience at Casey's Corner or Spaceship Earth?

The number of CM's who have tats themed to a Disney attraction or theme must be very, very small. Most tats are of stylish 21st century pop culture references, or rather personal issues related only to the person with that tat.

Meanwhile, in Tokyo... 🤣
Perhaps a Henna Tattoo parlour will open up in Epcot/Morocco.

TP2000

Perhaps a Henna Tattoo parlour will open up in Epcot/Morocco.

Perhaps.

Perhaps HR will create at giant tattoo spreadsheet where CM's with space themed tats are allowed to only work in Tomorrowland, and CM's with skull tats are allowed to only work at Pirates of the Caribbean, and CM's with agriculture themed tats are allowed to only work at Living With The Land.

Or, perhaps Disney's HR department isn't anywhere near that organized and the CM with the skull tat will work at It's A Small World and the CM with the tat of their dead grandma's face on their forearm will work at the Tiki Room. 🤣

Californian Elitist

So, as a former CM, would you have gotten tatted up and dyed your hair purple if these standards existed back then?

And how would that help the show as you dispatched pirate boats at Peter Pan's Flight or narrated a tour through the canals of Storybook Land?

How does tats and purple hair and black fingernails improve the Disneyland show exactly?

Full Disclosure: I don't think that stuff does improve the Disneyland show. I liked it when Disneyland had high standards for their employees matching In-N-Out or Nordstrom or Delta Airlines, not low standards matching Wal-Mart or Burger King or the Gas-N-Go.
I’m not interested in getting tattoos, nor dying my hair purple at all, though I don’t believe having either somehow means bad service.

That wouldn’t have mattered. A tattoo wouldn’t have somehow made me a bad CM with terrible guest service skills. Tattoo/purple hair or not, I still would have been getting called out of my name, specifically getting called a “b*tch” by someone trying to get on Peter Pan and would have still been treated horribly by my Fantasyland management. And on top of that, I still would have smiled at guests, treated them with the utmost respect, and tried my best to make their visits as pleasant as possible.

Speaking based on memory, that guy with the black finger polish in the Mansion uniform in the example photo looked the part to me. I’d rather look at that than nasty fingernails with dirt under them. Oh, and I felt pressured to wear my hair in individual braids because I just knew that if I had shown up with a natural, kinky fro, they would have been on me and asked me to cover it up, despite it being the way my hair naturally grows from my scalp. But that’s not “Disney show.” Okay.

The most prim and proper employees are usually the rudest, based on my personal experiences with guest service anywhere. The coolest and most positively memorable ones tend to have the tattoos and colored hair many folks in this thread seem to dislike. Again, one’s outer appearance doesn’t automatically determine the level of quality guest service. I don’t care if you have a tattoo if your guest service skills are impeccable.

TP2000

I’m not interested in getting tattoos, nor dying my hair purple at all, though I don’t believe having either somehow means bad service.

That wouldn’t have mattered. A tattoo wouldn’t have somehow made me a bad CM with terrible guest service skills. Tattoo/purple hair or not, I still would have been getting called out of my name, specifically getting called a “b*tch” by someone trying to get on Peter Pan and would have still been treated horribly by my Fantasyland management. And on top of that, I still would have smiled at guests, treated them with the utmost respect, and tried my best to make their visits as pleasant as possible.

Speaking based on memory, that guy with the black finger polish in the Mansion uniform in the example photo looked the part to me. I’d rather look at that than nasty fingernails with dirt under them. Oh, and I felt pressured to wear my hair in individual braids because I just knew that if I had shown up with a natural, kinky fro, they would have been on me and asked me to cover it up, despite it being the way my hair naturally grows from my scalp. But that’s not “Disney show.” Okay.

The most prim and proper employees are usually the rudest, based on my personal experiences with guest service anywhere. The coolest and most positively memorable ones tend to have the tattoos and colored hair many folks in this thread seem to dislike. Again, one’s outer appearance doesn’t automatically determine the level of quality guest service. I don’t care if you have a tattoo if your guest service skills are impeccable.

Well, some of that stuff has nothing to do with appearance. Or even Disneyland. It's just working with the public at any job; Target, Delta, Nordstrom, In-N-Out, even the Gas-N-Go.

But I take it from your non-answer to my question, you don't feel that tats and purple hair supports the Disneyland show at Peter Pan's Flight or Storybook Land or the Mad Tea Party?

We aren't talking about customer service skills, we're talking about showmanship.

Disneyland is a show. It's why the employees are called Cast Members, because they have a role to play in that show. A perfectly coiffed CM can provide bad customer service, and a CM with skull tats on his arms can provide good customer service. But at what point do the skull tats clash with the show of Main Street USA or Fantasyland or Frontierland?

As for wearing your hair in a natural, I've seen Black CM's wearing their hair that way for decades. I don't think styling your hair in a natural was forbidden in the old rules, was it? If it was, they did a horrible job of enforcing that.

Last edited:

TP2000

So people aren’t allowed an opinion once they reach 50?

Or, what if the person who doesn't want their airline pilot or Space Mountain operator to have tats and purple hair is only 32 years old?

Are people under age 50 not allowed to have a different opinion than others under age 50?

It seems like a very stifling and controlling way of living, not allowing for any diversity of thought or opinion. How odd. 🧐

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom