News New Changes Coming to the Disney Look 2021

KrazyKat

I mean, I guess this guy could always work at Animal Kingdom...
A5CC8537-197C-4000-A4AA-3A2022D92CBA.jpeg

Brer Oswald

The only thing of note with this is that they are still propping up their advertisement for the most recent Pixar film as the pinnacle of cultural representation. Like seriously. An AD? Come on now.

The Disney Look thing is the bare minimum. It had no particular reason to take this long. There are so many “generic” areas across the Parks and Resorts that don’t require “themed” looks, let alone the Disney Store. Better late than never.

Animaniac93-98

Let’s be real. They struggle to attract enough good CMs. There are people who can now work for the company who are HUGE parks fans. We will see more awesome CMs. Is a CM with a butterfly tattoo who loves their job better or worse than one without visible tattoos who couldn’t care less about the job?

You are not going to see your kids exposed to some deviant. Take your hands off the pearls.

But does allowing tattoos make it easier to pay rent? Will you get more hours? Will the Union give you better benefits? Will your manager be more likely to stand up for you if you get harassed by a customer? Will there be more advancement opportunities? Will it be any easier to work long hours in the heat [maybe if you don't have to wear long sleeves to cover the tat]?

A part-time, minimum wage parks job is not glamourous. It's a job that's likely to see high turnover* without any serious incentives for employees. Changing appearance guidelines is nice, but does not address the core issues of working for the Mouse.

*hiring so many college kids doesn't help. They can realistically only work for so many months at a time

Brer Oswald

The community is a laughing stock because it will cheer any superficial platitude marketed by the company and not hold them accountable for a declining product, the hypocrisy of corporate's decisions and failing to give their employees adequate pay or autonomy.

But the front line employees can dye their hair other colours now. Yay.
You don’t say.

I’ve been pointing it out for awhile now. I’ll say it again. We don’t live in a black and white world. One good thing does not absolve a separate bad thing. You can like stuff and you can dislike others. Multiple things can be true.

I don’t think any of us hate Disney. We want them to be the best that they can be, so hold them to it. There’s no need to shill. It’s a constant goal to improvement.

Gringrinngghost

Who cares honestly. I welcome these changes. These companies have been declining higher quality talent then what they've been getting because of tattoos among other reasons and they are finally opening up to it. But I do love the anti-tattoo comments. I bet you won't care when your nurse at the hospital comes in with a full sleeve tattoo as my friend has. As long as its not a safety distraction, there is nothing wrong and the fact that Disney will still have standards for it, shows that they are willing to progress further but still have a line that one can't cross.

Times change, cultural aspects change, and its time to move away from the ideals of the 1950s..

And rest assured, Disney would not hire someone like Chris Motionless in the below photo to work on stage, about 10 years ago with the new standards yes, but not today.
1618352017108.png

I for one, will be interested to see cast members having the ability to embrace themselves in a manner that can show you a bit more about them.

denyuntilcaught

The community is a laughing stock because it will cheer any superficial platitude marketed by the company and not hold them accountable for a declining product, the hypocrisy of corporate's decisions and failing to give their employees adequate pay or autonomy.

But the front line employees can dye their hair other colours now. Yay.

I always thought this argument was funny because I think it's made up. Are there people that provide Disney with platitudes every time they release a statement or make a decision? Sure. But let's be real, that type of behavior is largely reserved for the bloggers, vloggers, and that niche subsect of the community.

Most of the time, Disney gets ripped to shreds for any choice they make whether it's deserved or not (see: this thread). I'm not trying to turn it into a conversation about apologists vs. detractors. My point is that the argument that the majority of the engaged Disney community consists of mindless shills is wrong when in fact most of the conversation is both critical and opinionated - otherwise there wouldn't be much conversation. It creates this false sense of superiority in that having a contrarian or critical opinion of Disney somehow makes the opinion more valid.

Sir_Cliff

I don't know what the formal guidelines were, but I noticed that in practice DLP was already very liberal on issues like tattoos and piercings in part because I don't think the French took very kindly to being told they had to look like they stepped out of 1950s America to work at the resort. Honestly never bothered me and seemed appropriate. The people working there are also human beings and they're not exactly being rewarded with plush salaries.

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

I don't know what the formal guidelines are, but I have noticed that in practice DLP has been very liberal on issues like tattoos and piercings in part because I don't think the French took very kindly to being told they had to look like they stepped out of 1950s America to work at the resort. Honestly never bothered me and seemed appropriate. The people working there are also human beings and they're not exactly being rewarded with plush salaries.
Arm yourself with knowledge https://disneycasting.net/downloads/wdpr/Disney_Look_Book.pdf

Stupido

The problem is when your message becomes a distraction. I do not want to explain to my 8 year old on a vacation why a man is wearing a skirt. I accept expression, but this push for inclusion doesn't mean we should remove all boundaries.
Take a look around, men are already wearing skirts all around the world. From fashion shows, to urban streetware, to Male musicians from pop, to rock, to rap and R&B. These musicians are ridiculously mainstream, and ridiculously popular with teens. Hell, I recently saw a one thousand percent heterosexual male wearing a pair of fishnets to go about his life. Times are changing, and Disney is choosing to get on board. If it bothers you that much, you could always stay home. 🤷🏼‍♂️

NelsonRD

Take a look around, men are already wearing skirts all around the world. From fashion shows, to urban streetware, to Male musicians from pop, to rock, to rap and R&B. These musicians are ridiculously mainstream, and ridiculously popular with teens. Hell, I recently saw a one thousand percent heterosexual male wearing a pair of fishnets to go about his life. Times are changing, and Disney is choosing to get on board. If it bothers you that much, you could always stay home. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I don't have to stay home to disagree with self expression that becomes a distraction to others. You can do what you want, but if you seek attention that bad, maybe working around children at Disney isn't the best career option for some people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom