News Disney's Magical Express to end after 2021

homerdance

If it’s not tied to DME, it may come back, possibly as a paid service. I truly can’t explain why I have such an issue taking luggage back to the airport, but I do. 😂

not having to deal with your luggage either way really was nice, I preferred it on the way from the airport and my wife preferred it on the way to the airport.
That was honestly one of the biggest reasons we didn’t fly the ULCC carriers

wendysue

The luggage perk and Magical Express were the reason we chose Disney exclusively. If we have to rent a car or pay for a shuttle and do our own luggage, we can just go ANYWHERE else. It felt special to just hand off our bags to the skycaps at Chicago and not see them again until we got in our room. I've told them this in surveys they have sent and let them know that when our AP's expire at the end of the year, it's over. Not whining, that's just the way it goes.

Miss Bella

The return service wasn’t run by DME or Mears, it was airline employees I believe. Although offered alongside DME it was open to anyone flying domestically on certain airlines. It could come back.
How could it have been run by airline employees? If so which airline? There were multiple airlines that used the service and only one or two people working.

Skibum1970

No one individual cut ever is.

Reminds me of the phrase, "Death by a million paper cuts".

I didn’t say it will. Or even that I think it’s likely. But I know it’s popular. We’ve never used it as even if flying via a hub airport you can’t use it if your final destination is international (maybe Canada qualifies).

We used bell hops to hold our luggage but it was convenient flying domestic with one of the supported airlines. Good thing is that we can still use bell hops to hold our bag although that could become a huge hassle for Disney resorts if too many people begin doing that. Typically, though, our flight home is in the early afternoon and thus we left for the airport close to the checkout time, anyway.

gumboguy82

Djsfantasi

I agree. The end of Magical Express will definitely affect my decision to travel to WDW. I’ve traveled twice a year for 7-10 days/trip. I’m sure that my canceling a trip or two won’t affect Disney’s bottom line enough to pay for the service. But it has yet to be seen how many other guests cut back their visits.

In my case, ME wasn’t so much a perk as a needed service. In my late sixties, traveling alone, trucking around with my luggage is difficult if not yet impossible. Plus, in addition to finding alternate transportation, there is the hassle of waiting for Bell Services to store/retrieve my bags for me to truck them again to my room.

A Magical Trip thus becomes another time of travel hassle. If I have to deal with transportation and Bell Services, I can go elsewhere.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 1.04.02 PM.png

note2001

View attachment 546448

"The Same Reliable, Safe, Express Service."

It doesn't matter what they do, it still won't be the same.
  • There will be a per person charge.
  • Mears (without Disney) is known for over-packing people onto vans with broken AC.
  • The Bags service will be nonexistent.
Without that Disney oversight they'll push what they can get away with to the limits.

I'll be very interested in hearing people's experiences. I'm sure at first the reviews will glow as Mears attempts to prove they've got this, and then they'll drop to "it's a cattle car" by summer.

Until that train comes around to try I'll just rent a vehicle or schedule a car to take us to/from. It's best to have a car for heading over to Universal anyway.

denyuntilcaught

Well thank goodness! Honestly, not have Magical Express was the first "declining by degrees" element that made me seriously consider stop visiting WDW. Happy a solid substitute is on its way.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom