Pre-Trip So...I guess I booked a Spring Break trip? UPDATING LIVE-ish

Hello my Disney friends!

I'm Ali (rhymes with Sally)
Here I am with my husband Jim, our daughter Gwen, and our son Ethan at Disneyland back in June 2019

MVIMG_20190617_150418.jpg

Nobody needs me to tell them what 2020 was like.
We all lived it.

My family and I have been among the lucky ones. We've endured disappointments, cabin fever and cancelled plans, but nothing more serious than that.
Lucky. Seriously.

Among the many things that were cancelled was our Disney vacation. We were planning to spend nine days at WDW and the beach with our two kids and my mother. Obviously, we had to "float" those plans.

When the parks reopened, we were still thinking optimistically, hoping COVID numbers would improve, and tentatively booked Park Pass reservations for the first week of December.
As the months passed, we felt it was more important to enjoy the holiday season with family (we have kept our parents and siblings "in the bubble") than to go on vacation, so once again, we "floated" our plans.
I rebooked our Park Passes for early May, fully prepared to keep floating

Once the holidays were behind us, we decided to get serious about our Disney plans and started looking at flights. Jim quickly nixed my May dates, as he is not in favor of pulling the kids out of school. We are lucky enough to have full-time in person learning available in our school district, so I had to agree with him. One last float.

We decided on March 17 - 25 off-site at Blue Heron Beach Resort

So...I guess I booked a Spring Break trip!

Last edited:

MerMom1981

Original Poster
After some pool time and delicious take-out dinner from Cheesecake Factory (try the sweet potato enchiladas you guys) we headed back to AK for one more ride on FOP. Wait times were still high, so we couldn't squeeze Navi River in, but we did get to enjoy Pandora at night, and see the Tree of Life all lit up
MVIMG_20210319_203645.jpg

MerMom1981

Original Poster
Yesterday was a rest day. We planned to spend the afternoon at Vero Beach, and although the high temp in the Orlando area was only 70°, VB showed 78°. Unfortunately, we did not anticipate the high winds. The waves we're really rough, and we were getting totally sand-blasted sitting on the beach. We didn't last too long.
IMG_20210320_145350.jpg

We headed to Disney Springs for shopping and dinner.
All garages were at capacity, so out only option was the Strawberry parking lot, and even that filled up! Needles to say, DS was jammed with people, and distancing was not really happening outside of the stores. There were quietus for most stores, but we only had 2 in mind: World of Disney and Basin. WoD said 30 minutes, but we waited less than 10. Basin was less than 5.

We split up for dinner. My mom and I headed for The Polite Pig while the others went to Blaze Pizza and D-Luxe Burger. We're doing a table between two patio heaters, but we were still VERY chilly. My salmon and brussels sprouts were fantastic, but I had to basically swallow everything whole to keep it from getting cold. The walk back to the 🍓 lot felt way longer on the way out. REALLY wished we were in the Lime garage!

Today is the big day! My Gwen's birthday!!! I let her sleep in, because she's a teenager now. 😱
It's chilly and overcast this morning. Hoping the sun comes out for our day at MK 🤞

MissViv

Those long wait times for rides has me rethinking October! The 50th celebration may make it more crowded even than spring break - who knows??

I was also looking at September, even though it is hotter, it will be less crowded and maybe better with the Covid.

MerMom1981

Original Poster
Those long wait times for rides has me rethinking October! The 50th celebration may make it more crowded even than spring break - who knows??

I was also looking at September, even though it is hotter, it will be less crowded and maybe better with the Covid.
Park Passes are fully booked this week, so I'd imagine this is as busy as it gets.
Honestly, the waiting hasn't been too bad.

MerMom1981

Original Poster
IMG_20210321_102103.jpg

The Birthday Girl on her way to MK yesterday!

Despite our late start, we were able to ride almost everything we wanted in the park.
Started with a 50 minute wait for 7DMT, then 20 minutes for Little Mermaid.
Stopped at Tangle--which was absolutely packed with strollers--for our picnic, them walked on BTMRR.
I also hid a few rocks along the way
IMG_20210321_122811.jpg

MVIMG_20210321_131248.jpg

IMG_20210321_171946.jpg

It was too chilly for Splash, so we joined the 50 minute Pirates queue. There group behind us was totally ignoring the distancing policy. This isn't happening in every queue, but it's pretty annoying when it does.
Next was Space and Buzz. Both were under an hour. We caught CoP and the kids took a drive on the Speedway before we checked in for CRT.
IMG_20210321_183732.jpg

IMG_20210321_150041.jpg

Alex & Ani Castle bracelet with the rose gold Castle ✨
This birthday is going to be hard to top!

Last edited:

MerMom1981

Original Poster
Monday was another chilly, overcast day. ☹️ We joked that the drizzle was a land cloud, rather than actual rain.

I was not able to get a boarding group for Rise, but we still had plenty of fun.
Started off with RnRc, but skipped ToT, as the wait time was above 70 minutes all day.
IMG_20210322_092441_1.jpg

Next was TSMM and Slinky.
After that, we grabbed a table near Echo Lake for our picnic, then caught the Mickey short film. Not a fan of the animation or the story. 👎
We failed to get a boarding group again at 1 o'clock, so Smuggler's Run was the best we could do for our Star Wars fan.

MMRR was down to 40 minutes, so we rode that next. Also hid a rock
IMG_20210322_153445.jpg

Next, Jim & the kids rode Star Tours while my mom & I enjoyed a brief moment of sun and a churro.
And hid another rock
IMG_20210322_162245.jpg

The Pixar Cavalcade came by just before we went over to Muppet Vision. I got to see Edna ❤️
After that we ran back to Troy Story Land for one last game of TSMM, then headed out for the night.

I had made an ADR for Terralina in Disney Springs, but we found DS to be so chaotic that it wasn't worth the stress. I cancelled and we got some lame take-out

Next up: a day at Epcot that was everything I needed it to be ❤️

MerMom1981

Original Poster
I'm really enjoying following along on your trip report so far!

And I'll be down there on my own trip in a little over one week so I'll definitely be on the lookout for your hidden rocks! What a great idea!!
We've enjoyed finding and hiding rocks in our local forest preserves and parks, so it was really fun to bring that activity to Disney with us.
Thanks for following, and have a great time on your trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom