NFL 2020-21 Discussion Thread

Angel Ariel

Yeah honestly I was surprised. For some reason we kept LETTING them make plays and then only played more physical far too late in the 4th.
I don't want to think this but I wonder if they were afraid to succeed because they didn't feel quite ready for a Super Bowl?
If we can dominate the season out of the gate next year maybe it will boost the confidence enough to go all the way.
I think, too, Josh may still have some adrenaline to learn to control when playing in front of a crowd. Some of his previous habits (holding on to the ball too long, trying to make big plays and getting sacked for large yardage losses) started appearing more frequently when there were people In the stands in the playoffs. Last night you could see the difference in his passing. until that last touchdown drive in the 4th quarter, his passes were all running a bit higher than usual, making receivers have to jump for them where usually he’d hit them in stride. He was more hesitant overall - I think that impacted the playcalling too. When he settled down in that last drive they were more on target and precise.

I don’t think they tanked it on purpose...it’s still a young team. They learned a lot from the playoff loss last year - hopefully they will this year as well.

PUSH

Original Poster
The Bills have a lot of young talent, but a lot of inexperience in the biggest stage in the AFC. I find that the AFC/NFC title games can be more nerve wracking than Super Bowls. If you lose the Super Bowl, you still got there and celebrated doing so. If you lose the AFC/NFC title game, it's like nothing ever happened. There's no celebration for your season. You also are playing an opponent you're likely much more familiar with.

It will be interesting if Watson goes to the Jets or the Dolphins next year. With the Dolphins, they'd immediately be a contender for the AFC East title. With the Jets, he'd boost them a long way. I also love the Robert Saleh hire, and I think they could do something with Watson next season.

Also, I am still super sad that the Packers season has ended. I don't think I've truly processed it. I've been through this so many times that I actually have a routine of what to do after a NFC Championship loss. But this one feels so different. The last 4 have felt like we were playing with house money, and we were underdogs going into the game. This one felt like we should have won. I felt like we were truly the best team in the NFC. I said all season long that the only team that could beat the 2020 Green Bay Packers was the 2020 Green Bay Packers. And boy, did they beat the snot out of themselves yesterday.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the bills made the most common and devastating mistake in sports: they looked at their age and had “we’ll be back next year...” in the back of their minds

PUSH

Original Poster
I'm also tired of the narrative that the Packers didn't go "all in" to win a Super Bowl. The Packers didn't lose last year because of no WRs. They didn't lose this year because of no WR. Drafting someone other than Love in the first round doesn't make us win yesterday. A WR would not have made Davante catch the dropped TD. It wouldn't have made Mike Pettine not call that ridiculous coverage before the half. It wouldn't have made Kevin King play poorly. It wouldn't have made Aaron Jones not fumble. We had all the tools we needed to win. We just didn't.

I'm so tired of the national media writing for clicks, rather than writing for accuracy. We led the #1 scoring offense in the league this year, being top 10 in both passing and rushing offense. But they can't let go of their narratives they came up with back in April, because that would be admitting they're wrong. The Packers have a plan, and guess what... it's worked for the past three decades. It's not flashy, because the front office knows what they're doing. The players we needed this year were on our roster 3 years ago. Many of the players we will need over the next few years are young, developing players right now. Development is not sexy, but that's what the good teams do. How do you think Seattle became a consistent contender? Or how the Chiefs are going to back to back Super Bowls?

End rant.

Dad 2 M & M

I'm also tired of the narrative that the Packers didn't go "all in" to win a Super Bowl. The Packers didn't lose last year because of no WRs. They didn't lose this year because of no WR. Drafting someone other than Love in the first round doesn't make us win yesterday. A WR would not have made Davante catch the dropped TD. It wouldn't have made Mike Pettine not call that ridiculous coverage before the half. It wouldn't have made Kevin King play poorly. It wouldn't have made Aaron Jones not fumble. We had all the tools we needed to win. We just didn't.

I'm so tired of the national media writing for clicks, rather than writing for accuracy. We led the #1 scoring offense in the league this year, being top 10 in both passing and rushing offense. But they can't let go of their narratives they came up with back in April, because that would be admitting they're wrong. The Packers have a plan, and guess what... it's worked for the past three decades. It's not flashy, because the front office knows what they're doing. The players we needed this year were on our roster 3 years ago. Many of the players we will need over the next few years are young, developing players right now. Development is not sexy, but that's what the good teams do. How do you think Seattle became a consistent contender? Or how the Chiefs are going to back to back Super Bowls?

End rant.
Been a minute ..... hope you are well.

One thing I've noticed about the Packers is they seem to be "off" at times. During those times one can always tell something is just amiss.

Last Sunday was different from the most recent Post Season exits as they were in the game, appeared superior, but just didn't execute.....

Down here in Atl, we have many things to consider and we hear that same national media narrative, especially with Matt Ryan....as if there is actually any way to trade him with his contract. He is very good, but just not elite enough to carry us into the Playoffs

Upcoming Draft
- I'd love to see the Left Tackle from Oregon (if he makes it past Miami)

We could move Jake Matthews to right Tackle, and Caleb McGarrity to Right Guard....at this point McGarrity has been close to a bust, and in fairness to him, he was drafted as Tackle, to be moved to Guard when Alex Mack retires. He clearly can't play Tackle...

I'd be okay with Drafting a QB, as there is the hope this will be the last time we draft this low for a while.......

PUSH

Original Poster
Been a minute ..... hope you are well.

One thing I've noticed about the Packers is they seem to be "off" at times. During those times one can always tell something is just amiss.

Last Sunday was different from the most recent Post Season exits as they were in the game, appeared superior, but just didn't execute.....

Down here in Atl, we have many things to consider and we hear that same national media narrative, especially with Matt Ryan....as if there is actually any way to trade him with his contract. He is very good, but just not elite enough to carry us into the Playoffs

Upcoming Draft
- I'd love to see the Left Tackle from Oregon (if he makes it past Miami)

We could move Jake Matthews to right Tackle, and Caleb McGarrity to Right Guard....at this point McGarrity has been close to a bust, and in fairness to him, he was drafted as Tackle, to be moved to Guard when Alex Mack retires. He clearly can't play Tackle...

I'd be okay with Drafting a QB, as there is the hope this will be the last time we draft this low for a while.......
In many of our losses, I feel like we've beaten ourselves. In 2011 we lost to the Giants in the Divisional round because we had countless drops and 3 fumbles. In 2014 we lost to Seattle because of a plethora of mistakes at the end of the game. This year we thoroughly beat ourselves, too. As much as the media will tell you otherwise, Brady played pretty poorly. His three TDs were the result of two inexcusable mistakes by Kevin King (along with the play calling), and a fumble by Aaron Jones. In the second half he had three INTs, and they were all really bad throws. Two bad overthrows, and one underthrow that he should have taken a sack on. He really looked like a rookie QB at times.

It's almost indescribable what happens to us in the NFCC.

Dad 2 M & M

In many of our losses, I feel like we've beaten ourselves. In 2011 we lost to the Giants in the Divisional round because we had countless drops and 3 fumbles. In 2014 we lost to Seattle because of a plethora of mistakes at the end of the game. This year we thoroughly beat ourselves, too. As much as the media will tell you otherwise, Brady played pretty poorly. His three TDs were the result of two inexcusable mistakes by Kevin King (along with the play calling), and a fumble by Aaron Jones. In the second half he had three INTs, and they were all really bad throws. Two bad overthrows, and one underthrow that he should have taken a sack on. He really looked like a rookie QB at times.

It's almost indescribable what happens to us in the NFCC.
I noticed his poor play and would expect a spanking is coming in his home stadium.....he is the greatest ever, but he'll have to play better to have any shot against KC......

PUSH

Original Poster
The Lions have traded QB Matthew Stafford to the Rams for two future 1st round picks, a 3rd round pick, and QB Jared Goff.

PUSH

Original Poster
Lions fleeced someone. I don't even know what to say to something like that.
I thought if he went to the Rams is might be a 1st and another pick, or a 1st and Goff. I definitely didn't expect this. But Stafford is a criminally underrated QB. I know most people don't get to see it, and he doesn't get talked about by the national media because his teams have been terrible. But going against him twice a year as a Packers fan, I see quite often that he can make any throw. He was throwing no-look passes before Mahomes "invented" them. He's a big upgrade over Goff.

Two first round picks, and a third, is a large investment. But they also find someone willing to take Goff's contract. I'm sure that was a huge benefit on their end, since they couldn't really cut him, and they weren't going to get much for him in a trade.

As always, it depends on what Detroit will do with the picks. And we won't know how the players pan out for a handful of years yet.

LSLS

I thought if he went to the Rams is might be a 1st and another pick, or a 1st and Goff. I definitely didn't expect this. But Stafford is a criminally underrated QB. I know most people don't get to see it, and he doesn't get talked about by the national media because his teams have been terrible. But going against him twice a year as a Packers fan, I see quite often that he can make any throw. He was throwing no-look passes before Mahomes "invented" them. He's a big upgrade over Goff.

Two first round picks, and a third, is a large investment. But they also find someone willing to take Goff's contract. I'm sure that was a huge benefit on their end, since they couldn't really cut him, and they weren't going to get much for him in a trade.

As always, it depends on what Detroit will do with the picks. And we won't know how the players pan out for a handful of years yet.

Unless Stafford has really changed in the past 5ish years (can't remember when it was Brady got caught cheating so I swore off really following the sport), id say he's criminally overrated. When I watched football a lot, lions were one of my teams. People always loved his stats, but never watched how he got them. He'd go into the 4th quarter of games down 24 points with 200 yards, 1 td, and 2 picks. Then end the game with 320 yards and 3 tds because the other teams were so far ahead, they played prevent. I know among my friends, Stafford was always called the king of prevent. And he was incapable of touch. The ball went 200 mph whether the receiver was 20 yards downfield in triple coverage or 2 feet away waiting on a screen pass.

PUSH

Original Poster
Unless Stafford has really changed in the past 5ish years (can't remember when it was Brady got caught cheating so I swore off really following the sport), id say he's criminally overrated. When I watched football a lot, lions were one of my teams. People always loved his stats, but never watched how he got them. He'd go into the 4th quarter of games down 24 points with 200 yards, 1 td, and 2 picks. Then end the game with 320 yards and 3 tds because the other teams were so far ahead, they played prevent. I know among my friends, Stafford was always called the king of prevent. And he was incapable of touch. The ball went 200 mph whether the receiver was 20 yards downfield in triple coverage or 2 feet away waiting on a screen pass.
I just know I'd take Stafford over most other QBs in the league, including Goff.

Dad 2 M & M

Lions fleeced someone. I don't even know what to say to something like that.

I just know I'd take Stafford over most other QBs in the league, including Goff.

He may be better than Goff, but he's a slightly above average qb.
Yet to be seen is is Detroit now going to pursue Deshawn Watson with all of those #1s.....seems to be at least a decent possibility

Dead cap hit would be a concern?

PUSH

Original Poster
Yet to be seen is is Detroit now going to pursue Deshawn Watson with all of those #1s.....seems to be at least a decent possibility

Dead cap hit would be a concern?
The question is does Watson want to go to Detroit? He has a no trade clause in his contract, so if he gets traded, he can pretty much decide where he wants to go. Honestly, Detroit is not a place I'd want to go as a superstar QB. I think Miami would be his best choice. They would be a contender right away, there's no state income tax, and Miami has draft capital and Tua to trade to Houston. But who knows?

Dad 2 M & M

The question is does Watson want to go to Detroit? He has a no trade clause in his contract, so if he gets traded, he can pretty much decide where he wants to go. Honestly, Detroit is not a place I'd want to go as a superstar QB. I think Miami would be his best choice. They would be a contender right away, there's no state income tax, and Miami has draft capital and Tua to trade to Houston. But who knows?
No telling what will happen with Watson, but I don’t get the comparison of Stafford and Watson.
If it would have been just Stafford in the trade, how many picks would it have been? Certainly not 2 First Rounders + Third Rounder; much of the weight was to get Detroit to take on Goff’s contract

my guess is at least the second 1st round pick was to take the contract

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom