News Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon to remain closed until March 2021

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
"The wait is finally over! Cast members will begin returning soon to prepare Disney’s Blizzard Beach for its scheduled reopening on March 7, 2021. First opened to the public on April 1, 1995, this spring will kick off Blizzard Beach’s 25th season. In honor of this exciting news – here are seven fun facts you may not have known about Disney’s wintry-themed water park."

All that's left is to add some plywood cut outs of Ice Age characters!

Walt d

Is there some significance to March 7th? Why that specific date for re-opening a water park?

I really do not understand the logic of keeping the water parks closed, and haven't from the beginning, unless it is strictly a cost cutting measure. I would think the water parks would be the safest of all of Disney's parks. They are virtually entirely outdoors. Social distancing is easily maintained. They do not have the mega-attendance that the theme parks get. And literally every ride and attraction takes place in highly chlorinated, disinfected water that could not transmit a virus.
They will
Place the water with just straight sanitizer so the slides won’t be quite as fast, i was Reading that thinking how are you going to wear a mask in water. Then i got further in the story and you won’t have to but I envision someone’s nasty mask floating at the bottom of the slide. What a mess’ that would be.

Browncoat

I do not envy any cast member with trying to enforce a mask policy here. I mean at what point when you get out of the water are you supposed to put your mask back on? its not like I have a pocket to pull a mask out of when I exit the water...

MikeyK72

I do not envy any cast member with trying to enforce a mask policy here. I mean at what point when you get out of the water are you supposed to put your mask back on? its not like I have a pocket to pull a mask out of when I exit the water...
Exactly. And what about standing in lines for slides? Is standing in line considered "experiencing water slides"?

Browncoat

Exactly. And what about standing in lines for slides? Is standing in line considered "experiencing water slides"?
I would imagine that they aren’t going to require/enforce masks while in line which is why they used the word “experiencing“. If I’m really thinking about it though I doubt they are gonna push this as a hard as in the other parks. They just released this statement to cover themselves.

djkidkaz

So it appears there aren't any options for a local to buy a waterpark AP? Kind of a shame because a local isn't going to shell out $70 per family member every time they want to visit the water park.

Its a shame I was really looking forward to going when they opened, but not at that price when in past years I was able to buy a Florida Resident AP for almost the same cost and visit all year.

Also, I would think that Blizzard was chosen to open because it doesn't have the massive "throw everyone into each other every 2 minutes" wave pool like Typhoon does.

Is the mini golf open next to Blizzard Beach or not until March?

twilight mitsuk

So it appears there aren't any options for a local to buy a waterpark AP? Kind of a shame because a local isn't going to shell out $70 per family member every time they want to visit the water park.

Its a shame I was really looking forward to going when they opened, but not at that price when in past years I was able to buy a Florida Resident AP for almost the same cost and visit all year.

Also, I would think that Blizzard was chosen to open because it doesn't have the massive "throw everyone into each other every 2 minutes" wave pool like Typhoon does.

Is the mini golf open next to Blizzard Beach or not until March?
That will start with the resumption of general ap sales

disneygeek90

I would imagine that they aren’t going to require/enforce masks while in line which is why they used the word “experiencing“. If I’m really thinking about it though I doubt they are gonna push this as a hard as in the other parks. They just released this statement to cover themselves.
So you stick your mask in your pocket, or hold it, while on the slide? Then put it back on while wet? The only option I can think of (if they're pushing masks in line) is if they have disposable ones to be given out when you are entering the line, and you discard before getting on slide. Seems like a mess to manage either way.

rangerbob

Waterboarding is the term that I can think of. Self torture yourself. Go to the water park, stand in line for the body slide and wear your mask to protect yourself. Get to the top of the tower and take your mask off or make it more fun and leave it on. Go down the slide with your soaking wet mask and then have to put it back on, that is going to be fun breathing through. It is bad enough when it is dry.

Tom P.

In reality, I expect that this will play out as "wear your mask when going through the turnstiles and when in a retail location shopping" and that's about it. People aren't going to be taking masks on and off every time they get in a line, go down a slide, or get in and out of the water.

MikeyK72

In reality, I expect that this will play out as "wear your mask when going through the turnstiles and when in a retail location shopping" and that's about it. People aren't going to be taking masks on and off every time they get in a line, go down a slide, or get in and out of the water.
Totally agree.

And then my next logical question will be, "if it's okay to not wear a mask outside at Bizzard Beach, why do I have to wear one outside when walking through Epcot or any other park?"

note2001

Glad the waterpark has a re-opening date.
I have nothing to add other than concern for the employees from that point on. Hope they're all to be vaccinated before starting their shifts.

Last edited:

Tom P.

Totally agree.

And then my next logical question will be, "if it's okay to not wear a mask outside at Bizzard Beach, why do I have to wear one outside when walking through Epcot or any other park?"
In reality, the risk of going maskless when being outdoors moving around a theme park is probably pretty darn low. Unless you are waiting in a line, the odds of you having any sort of prolonged close contact with someone are very slim. People are constantly on the move. However, I suspect the answer will be simply that it is logistically possible for people to be masked when walking around Epcot where it's not really practical in a water park situation, and therefore Disney will err on the side of caution in the theme parks but be more forgiving in the water parks. That's just my guess.

TTLUTS

Disney announced that tickets to Blizzard Beach went on sale this morning. When I called to buy tickets, Disney said that tickets were not date based and as of right now, you do not need a Park pass reservation..........Will there not be pent up demand for the water parks? I'm assuming that Disney will need to limit their attendance to 40% just like the parks?..............Will this be treated like a first come, first serve situation like Universals park entrance system? Why not make it date based so you can control the amount of people in the parks without needing a park pass reservation system? We can only go one specific day on our upcoming trip so I don't want to buy tickets and then not be able to get in.....Any thoughts?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed. There are a few true indoor locations at Blizzard beach for dining, shopping and locker rooms outside of that it will likely be at the front entrance, through to the area where you cross the lazy River. Anything inside that area I would consider part of the ”pool area”.

Magic Feather

Agreed. There are a few true indoor locations at Blizzard beach for dining, shopping and locker rooms outside of that it will likely be at the front entrance, through to the area where you cross the lazy River. Anything inside that area I would consider part of the ”pool area”.
I'd expect much more clear designations than Volcano Bay. Along the lines of the main entrance area being a "mask required" section, then the park becoming maskless (with a lot of distancing being enforced) beyond the two bridges that go over the lazy river.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom