Trip Report Shrouded In A Daft Disguise *COMPLETED*

Two weeks ago today, I returned home from the most surreal Disney vacation I have ever experienced.

During my last visit in February, I couldn’t have imagined having to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken before being allowed into a park. “Social distancing” wasn’t part of my vocabulary. Hand sanitizer was something I carried in a little bottle in my purse, not something in giant containers at the entrance/exit of every attraction.

No park hopping? No Fastpasses? No FIREWORKS :jawdrop: ?!! Not even on my radar screen.

Like a bolt out of the blue, the pandemic struck and life was dramatically altered. For everyone. And there is no Magic Mirror to tell us when it will be over. For me the pandemic has been a reminder to take nothing for granted ~ and that there can still be joy in the darkest days.

My name is Tuvalu and I have been a WDW annual passholder for nearly 25 years. I was raised on Disney and so were my children. The parks have always been my “escape” from real life. Could they still be an “escape” in the midst of a pandemic? After months of quarantine, I was ready to find out.

My daughter Em was my travel buddy. My husband Woody had reservations, but not for our safety. He was concerned we’d struggle with the restrictions and disappointment with all the changes. He wanted us to come back happy and wasn’t sure we would. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure we would either. After much research and due diligence, Em and I felt prepared to embark on a vacation with few expectations.

6603EDC0-8856-4CF0-9F82-3A98E965AA50.jpeg

Full disclosure ~ I‘ve wrestled with writing a report of our trip. The pandemic and subsequent events have caused much division on this Disney fan forum. I’ve always considered the trip reports section to be a “safe space” and hope it stays that way. My goal is to provide entertainment to the reader, nothing more.

With that in mind.....

DE01E0D7-DEFD-4267-AEA4-9339E1E1B4A7.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, con’t

Without Turtle Talk w/Crush and aquatic demonstrations, the Seas pavilion felt lifeless. Woody and I didn’t linger after exiting Nemo. We moved on to the Land.

I was so disappointed to see that vinyl dividers had been added to the LWTL boats since last month.

AC2DF9F0-3ECE-4972-83F2-142C4ACCDED1.jpeg

Woody and I were assigned the last row. I enjoyed looking behind us rather than ahead through the plastic.

1080607E-165D-4B63-A7F3-0F1889C5D2BC.jpeg

Nailed the selfie!

194A3AB7-4ECE-4F08-9F20-BF72A118BF89.jpeg

The greenhouses were uncomfortably HOT. No airflow. Kinda ruined one of our favorite rides.

39471845-7A34-4619-9CB5-56987F55E12C.jpeg

Even the sunflowers were wilting!

F2C1AB55-8B43-4A96-BE57-8AE5BCD05B02.jpeg

Ordinarily I’d find this table setup enticing. Not today.

8C55F51E-EBE2-41B8-87E3-D8369109BA89.jpeg

During our cruise there was a frequent voice announcement to PLEASE KEEP YOUR MASKS ON. (Once again proof that they CAN see you!)

As we entered the queue for Soarin’, a woman walked past us and angrily proclaimed, “I’m NOT waiting 30 minutes for Soarin’!” (Clearly she has never been during a busy period. 🙄)

The physically-distanced line made the wait look longer than it actually was.

00F82FAF-D819-4D89-B5C9-E8C6AB62DFD8.jpeg

The seating chart was marked with today’s date. Numbers colored in red are the seats that hold the dividers.

BD2D6B36-BE60-4B8E-951B-CBDACB9DA02D.jpeg

We had a nice flight.

93boomer

Premium Member
By the time both of us showered, clouds had rolled in. Woody and I made sure to take our umbrellas with us when we left the room.

Staying at a monorail resort provides monorail access to MK and Epcot....except during a pandemic.

View attachment 504837

Thankfully we knew this in advance and headed for the bus stop instead. It was drizzling so I popped open my beloved Minnie umbrella. Em and I had purchased our “matching Minnies” several years ago at the Marketplace Co Op in Disney Springs. The adorable umbrella wasn’t cheap but it was high quality (easy to open/close and wind resistant). It became my trusted go-to whenever it rained.

View attachment 504841

When we reached the covered bus stop I closed the umbrella and placed it beside me on the bench. There was another family waiting for the Epcot bus, which pulled up shortly.

View attachment 504838

Before the driver disembarked, three other families arrived and cut in front of us and the other family. The driver didn’t assign seats (odd) and Woody & I ended up in the back of the bus. In the chaos you can guess what happened.

I had left my umbrella on the bench!

We were halfway to Epcot when I realized what I had done. I began to pout.

“Can we go back to the Poly and retrieve it?” I asked Woody.

“Of course,” was my loving husband’s reply.

I assumed our bus would be returning to the resort after the Epcot drop off. I was wrong. (Good thing I checked with the driver!) Woody and I got off the bus....in the rain....and made a beeline for the Polynesian gate since our drop off was in another section.

Twenty minutes later we were taking Private Ride #3 back to Poly. I discussed the “umbrella incident”with the friendly driver who was just starting her shift. “I’m sure your umbrella is where you left it,” she reassured me. “I’ll hold the bus for you before coming back to Epcot.”

The rain was short-lived and the sun was out when we reached the Poly. Woody stayed in his seat as I disembarked in search of Minnie.

It had to be on that bench, right? We’d been gone less than an hour. Not many people were staying at the Poly. Besides, who would take (let alone touch) someone’s umbrella during a pandemic??!!

It. Was. GONE.

At the insistence of the bus driver I looked all around the stop before climbing aboard. She told me to fill out a Lost and Found form online. (Which I did later to no avail.)

After our fruitless 75 minute ordeal, we finally entered Epcot. (Proof that Woody is the most patient man on the planet....his indulging my need to recover such a paltry item.)

View attachment 504839
(@ajrwdwgirl ~ I was still flustered at this moment and it didn’t occur to me to TURN AROUND AND SEE THE RETRO COLUMNS!! 🤦🏻‍♀️)

The first attraction we happened upon (thanks to the detoured walkway) was Nemo. We went inside to look for him.

View attachment 504840
Oh nice hubby!!😉. I love your dress! You look so cute.
ps don’t worry. We never went to the front of Epcot to see them! Totally forgot since we rode the Skyliner in each time.🤦🏻‍♀️😩

93boomer

Premium Member
Sunday, con’t

Without Turtle Talk w/Crush and aquatic demonstrations, the Seas pavilion felt lifeless. Woody and I didn’t linger after exiting Nemo. We moved on to the Land.

I was so disappointed to see that vinyl dividers had been added to the LWTL boats since last month.

View attachment 504869

Woody and I were assigned the last row. I enjoyed looking behind us rather than ahead through the plastic.

View attachment 504870

Nailed the selfie!

View attachment 504871

The greenhouses were uncomfortably HOT. No airflow. Kinda ruined one of our favorite rides.

View attachment 504872

Even the sunflowers were wilting!

View attachment 504873

Ordinarily I’d find this table setup enticing. Not today.

View attachment 504874

During our cruise there was a frequent voice announcement to PLEASE KEEP YOUR MASKS ON. (Once again proof that they CAN see you!)

As we entered the queue for Soarin’, a woman walked past us and angrily proclaimed, “I’m NOT waiting 30 minutes for Soarin’!” (Clearly she has never been during a busy period. 🙄)

The physically-distanced line made the wait look longer than it actually was.

View attachment 504876

The seating chart was marked with today’s date. Numbers colored in red are the seats that hold the dividers.

View attachment 504875

We had a nice flight.
I do not like those vinyl dividers at all. Our first ride on LWTL was great. We were in front and next party was three rows behind. That was the only time. Every ride after that was a full boat.😟

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We were a few doors down from there in June. Room 3911. It was our first DVC at our home resort. This we the week that the DVC resorts opened up before the parks. It sure was a different experience being at the resort with no parks.

Our view wasn't as good as yours. We were looking down the hall of the (closed) Hawaii Longhouse.
I can only imagine how odd it must have been to not have the parks open during your trip.
Your view was the one I feared we were gonna have. Sorry you didn’t have a nicer view for your first “home” stay. 🏝

So sorry about your umbrella!! 😢 Woody is a gem.
Stinks to loose something quality, but more important with a memory associated with it. :(
The new memory will be of the patience your husband showed while you tried to find it (and didn't give you a hard time to compound everything).
Sorry about your umbrella ☹️
I felt silly being so upset. It was just an umbrella! Some psychiatrist could probably figure out the “real” cause for my feelings. I’m blaming 2020!

You are right @RememberWhen, Woody is a gem. (Who gave me a better memory, @MickeyCB. 😉)

slipperalwaysfits

Twenty minutes later we were taking Private Ride #3 back to Poly. I discussed the “umbrella incident”with the friendly driver who was just starting her shift. “I’m sure your umbrella is where you left it,” she reassured me. “I’ll hold the bus for you before coming back to Epcot.”
At least the bus driver was really nice. :inlove: :geek: Did someone turn it in at Poly's front desk? That's crazy how people just "take things" that someone may be looking for. :facepalm::mad: Woody is so sweet.😍😍😍
Yes, never been during a busy period. I don't know about during Pandemic times, but the Soarin' line tends to move faster than Space Mountain so it's never been the worst wait in the land for me.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
ps don’t worry. We never went to the front of Epcot to see them! Totally forgot since we rode the Skyliner in each time.🤦🏻‍♀️😩
Stinks that you lost your umbrella and you didn't get to enjoy the retro fountain (although I'm sure you will another time).
Retro fountain.....AND Spaceship Earth....are my #1 Epcot priorities next visit.

I do not like those vinyl dividers at all. Our first ride on LWTL was great. We were in front and next party was three rows behind. That was the only time. Every ride after that was a full boat.😟
Spacing parties every-third-row is a much better idea than those awful dividers, which provide a negative ride experience.
Did someone turn it in at Poly's front desk? That's crazy how people just "take things" that someone may be looking for. :facepalm::mad:
Oh I checked the Front Desk that night, before filing the Lost and Found report. We’ve accidentally left a few items behind over the years (Em’s journal a couple years ago) and have never had satisfaction with Disney’s Lost & Found. :bored:

Retro fountain.....AND Spaceship Earth....are my #1 Epcot priorities next visit.

Spacing parties every-third-row is a much better idea than those awful dividers, which provide a negative ride experience.

Oh I checked the Front Desk that night, before filing the Lost and Found report. We’ve accidentally left a few items behind over the years (Em’s journal a couple years ago) and have never had satisfaction with Disney’s Lost & Found. :bored:
When we sailed on Disney Wonder years ago I left a jacket in a public area while waiting to disembark. I filed a lost and found report and was very pleasantly surprised when the UPS man delivered it to me about a week later! I hope the same happens for you with your umbrella. Some Disney magic is needed and appreciated!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, con’t

Woody and I did not venture over to see Figment. After last month’s debacle I wanted to pass.

Instead we ventured through the Maze o’ Walls to MouseGear.

8147461B-3764-4DB2-B3B0-493E48787A1E.jpeg

I am not pleased with the reduced merchandise in this store but it is what it is. MouseGear was my shopping haven and typically carried merchandise that could not be found anywhere else. Though I knew it was a long shot, I hoped the store might have a Minnie umbrella, or a variation of the one I had lost.

After searching every nook and cranny (@amjt660 😉), I was unsuccessful in my quest. I couldn’t believe MouseGear didn’t sell umbrellas. I waited in line to speak to a CM at the register

“Do you have umbrellas or know of a place that does?” I inquired.

“We keep them in the back.”

Hmmm, I didn’t realize umbrellas were contraband. “What do they look like? Are they character umbrellas?” (I imagined Woody thinking, “This poor CM doesn’t know what he’s in for.” :hilarious: )

“They’re black and have Mickey on them.”

More rain was in the forecast and I did not want to get wet in a downpour. “I’ll take one.”

I received an umbrella that was far inferior to the one I had lost. The nylon canopy was flimsy, the handle was hard plastic (not soft rubber), and it was too long in size to fit inside my bag.

Worst of all? It was a generic DISNEY PARKS umbrella! (Certainly not worth $14.99.)

229A91CE-A4AA-4DEC-86B3-0BA648F7CB18.jpeg

(TBH the worst part was I didn’t end up needing the umbrella that night. Once we got back to the resort I retrieved my compact mini (not Minnie) umbrella from the car and carried that for the rest of the week.)

Next we headed for World Showcase.

24ABACB1-2DE2-4A78-A4D3-08E104FBFE9B.jpeg

We didn’t partake of any F&W offerings. Dinner was in an hour and we were saving our appetites.

7B01479A-3FBB-47D0-B5CC-27A70F7FA66A.jpeg

The Tuva-tinys are really into Frozen (the whole sisters thing). I wanted to get them the Anna and Elsa dolls I’d seen last month in the Norway gift shop. I did not buy them at the time because I did not want to carry them around all day (darn you no more ship-to-resort!)

The line for Frozen Ever After was quite long and there wasn’t a way to get into the gift store without going through the attraction. I pleaded my case with the CM at the end of the line and she pointed to a CM who could help me. This CM opened a roped-off area for us and opened an exterior door leading to the shop.

Once inside I had another dilemma. Original Anna & Elsa, or Frozen 2 Anna & Elsa?

I texted pics of both to Em and we reached the same conclusion.

Yes.
A5DDFA77-49B7-4079-9C1A-8BA70188F3BF.jpeg

No.
4B589FCD-40B6-470A-B3DB-E243612B9522.jpeg

Cute story ~ Once home I set both dolls on a bookcase shelf. Tuvalette spotted them first and grabbed both dolls. Tuvaleen looked at me longingly and said, “But where are my Anna and Elsa?”

"Oh honey, the dolls are for sharing."

Without missing a beat, Tuvalette handed one to her younger sister and said, "Here, you can have Anna."

Tuvaleen beamed with joy. And from that moment forward, older sis plays with Elsa and younger plays with Anna.

93boomer

Premium Member
Sunday, con’t

Woody and I did not venture over to see Figment. After last month’s debacle I wanted to pass.

Instead we ventured through the Maze o’ Walls to MouseGear.

View attachment 505016

I am not pleased with the reduced merchandise in this store but it is what it is. MouseGear was my shopping haven and typically carried merchandise that could not be found anywhere else. Though I knew it was a long shot, I hoped the store might have a Minnie umbrella, or a variation of the one I had lost.

After searching every nook and cranny (@amjt660 😉), I was unsuccessful in my quest. I couldn’t believe MouseGear didn’t sell umbrellas. I waited in line to speak to a CM at the register

“Do you have umbrellas or know of a place that does?” I inquired.

“We keep them in the back.”

Hmmm, I didn’t realize umbrellas were contraband. “What do they look like? Are they character umbrellas?” (I imagined Woody thinking, “This poor CM doesn’t know what he’s in for.” :hilarious: )

“They’re black and have Mickey on them.”

More rain was in the forecast and I did not want to get wet in a downpour. “I’ll take one.”

I received an umbrella that was far inferior to the one I had lost. The nylon canopy was flimsy, the handle was hard plastic (not soft rubber), and it was too long in size to fit inside my bag.

Worst of all? It was a generic DISNEY PARKS umbrella! (Certainly not worth $14.99.)

View attachment 505022
(TBH the worst part was I didn’t end up needing the umbrella that night. Once we got back to the resort I retrieved my compact mini (not Minnie) umbrella from the car and carried that for the rest of the week.)

Next we headed for World Showcase.

View attachment 505015

We didn’t partake of any F&W offerings. Dinner was in an hour and we were saving our appetites.

View attachment 505017

The Tuva-tinys are really into Frozen (the whole sisters thing). I wanted to get them the Anna and Elsa dolls I’d seen last month in the Norway gift shop. I did not buy them at the time because I did not want to carry them around all day (darn you no more ship-to-resort!)

The line for Frozen Ever After was quite long and there wasn’t a way to get into the gift store without going through the attraction. I pleaded my case with the CM at the end of the line and she pointed to a CM who could help me. This CM opened a roped-off area for us and opened an exterior door leading to the shop.

Once inside I had another dilemma. Original Anna & Elsa, or Frozen 2 Anna & Elsa?

I texted pics of both to Em and we reached the same conclusion.

Yes.
View attachment 505019

No.
View attachment 505018

Cute story ~ Once home I set both dolls on a bookcase shelf. Tuvalette spotted them first and grabbed both dolls. Tuvaleen looked at me longingly and said, “But where are my Anna and Elsa?”

Without missing a beat, Tuvalette handed one to her younger sister and said, "Here, you can have Anna."

Tuvaleen beamed with joy. And from that moment forward, older sis plays with Elsa and younger plays with Anna.
Awww sweet girls they are!!

slipperalwaysfits

Oh I checked the Front Desk that night, before filing the Lost and Found report. We’ve accidentally left a few items behind over the years (Em’s journal a couple years ago) and have never had satisfaction with Disney’s Lost & Found
So frustrating! We had good luck with it the one time we used it for a rain jacket. Sorry it's never worked for you.
Aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww, some Disney magic. Is there a way into the Seas pavilion without going on the Nemo ride?

Tuvaleen beamed with joy. And from that moment forward, older sis plays with Elsa and younger plays with Anna

Aawwwwwwwwwwwwww, sweet of Tuvalette to share without really being told to. :geek: And I'm so happy Tuvaleen likes Anna!!!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I am not pleased with the reduced merchandise in this store but it is what it is. MouseGear was my shopping haven and typically carried merchandise that could not be found anywhere else.

MouseGear was one of my favorite stores. What's up with the reduced merchandise offerings? I always thought the gift shops were one of their most lucrative concessions in WDW. (Side note: didn't care for the update to WOD in Disney Springs either; but now, also cutting back in MouseGear is a disappointing trend. )

And that's really bizarre how you and Woody had to slink out the back to the Speakeasy door, just to be shown the umbrellas! :jawdrop:
1602621573429.png

Minnesota disney fan

MouseGear was one of my favorite stores. What's up with the reduced merchandise offerings? I always thought the gift shops were one of their most lucrative concessions in WDW. (Side note: didn't care for the update to WOD in Disney Springs either; but now, also cutting back in MouseGear is a disappointing trend. )

And that's really bizarre how you and Woody had to slink out the back to the Speakeasy door, just to be shown the umbrellas! :jawdrop:
View attachment 505161

Minnie, I don't know why disney doesn't display the umbrellas in plain sight? We had to buy one when a drenching rain surprised us in Epcot. We looked and looked around Mousegear, and finally asked the CM at checkout where they were. She said, Oh, they are behind the counter. I can't believe that so many people must steal umbrellas (?) for them to have to hide them behind the counter.????
It's a mystery, an enigma wrapped in a bubble gum wrapper, LOL! 😅

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
When we sailed on Disney Wonder years ago I left a jacket in a public area while waiting to disembark. I filed a lost and found report and was very pleasantly surprised when the UPS man delivered it to me about a week later! I hope the same happens for you with your umbrella. Some Disney magic is needed and appreciated!

So frustrating! We had good luck with it the one time we used it for a rain jacket. Sorry it's never worked for you.
I've read stories of other guests (like both of you) being surprised when their lost item show up at their front door.
Sadly it has never happened for us. It was very traumatic for 7-year-old Em when a Contemporary Resort housekeeper stripped our linens and Em's personal pillowcase was gone forever.

@InLovew/disney my L&F request was only acknowledged by an automated response that promised a follow-up. It's been almost two months. Not holding me breath!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I totally get your umbrella disappointment.

I lost my Wilderness Explorers baseball cap at our local zoo this summer. 😭

I was really bummed when I realized that I lost it and even more bummed when I couldn’t find it on shopdisney when I tried to replace it.
We can do this together, BES.
Monsters Inc Reaction GIF by filmeditor

What you really need is a mini Minnie umbrella. That would be perfect!
excited love it GIF by PBS KIDS

Is there a way into the Seas pavilion without going on the Nemo ride?
Yes. You can enter via the gift shop exit on the far left of the pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom