News Disneyland to give Snow White’s Scary Adventures dark ride a major facelift in 2020

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

More details to help clear a couple worries

The ride definitely now makes more sense and follows the movies ending scenes in chronological order

To help refresh your memory (as I just watched the film), here's the outline of the ending of the film compared to the outline of the new ride

FILM
  • Queen transformation/apple dipping in cauldron
  • Snow eats apple and a thunder storm starts
  • Dwarfs chase the hag out of the cottage up a hill through the rainy forest/she dies
  • Snow gets kissed and woken up in a happy forest
  • Happily every after into the sunset
NEW RIDE
  • Queen transformation
  • Apple dipping in cauldron
  • **Rainy forest w dwarfs climbing up a hill**
  • Happy forest w snow getting kissed and woken up
  • Happily every after into the sunset

So there is in fact an added transition between the hags layer and the happy forest. And the dwarfs on the cliff have been moved to this transition and will be seen on the side of the vehicle.

From what I've been told, they've basically split the spooky forest in half... half of it being dark then transitioning into the happy version just like the movie..

But there is a transition between the spooky layer and the rainy forest... a new scene has been added to where the hag on the boat once was. Apparently there is a new castle wall/magic mirror that I'm guessing will narrate something to help the transition even more...

After the new magic mirror, the rainy cliff w the now moved dwarfs appear, then a transition into the sweet green forest just like the movie..

Ferdinand and Snow on the bed are actually animated.. Snow can tilt her head and move her arm and Ferd can lean in for a kiss.

Some personal notes:
There are die hard fans on here that no matter what Disney does, will absolutely not tolerate any change at all..

A couple things to note for these people... the version of the ride you're so hardcore rooting for is not even close to the original version.. this ride has changed immensely throughout the years to help tell the story in better ways....

In my opinion, this version seems like the absolute best... Why? bc..
  • It tells the story in the way the film that everybody knows does
  • It's inclusive to children (who the ride is intended for in the first place)
  • Adds Snow White to 2 additional scenes (now making 3 appearances) which has always been a problem... "where was Snow White??" a question that would be yelled out 479357350 times by guests boarding off
  • They've added characters to dead scenes such as the mine which literally consisted of flat painted walls
  • They've overall added more figures/characters/animals throughout the attraction along w new projection technology (which everybody loved from the Alice refurb)
  • And for the diehards... they managed to preserve and keep the original wood carved dwarf figures and just move them to an area that made more sense...
Whether the 40 yr old men like it or not, the kids will absolutely adore this transformation and lets not forget that that's all that matters/Disney cares about :)

Good day❤️
so they decided to take the heart and soul and everything cool and atmoshpheric out of the ride for a book report? The ride works because there is no happy ending. you are escaping the witch. it ends when she dies.

swge

so they decided to take the heart and soul and everything cool and atmoshpheric out of the ride for a book report? The ride works because there is no happy ending. you are escaping the witch. it ends when she dies.
Um no.
1. the previous ride was also a book report... they just completely skipped crucial happy scenes from the movie... each scene in the old version of the attraction is directly taken/inspired from the movie.... including the ending of the attraction where she falls off a cliff. The attraction never served as a new adventure or a sequel to the film... All the Fantasyland dark rides are book reports. This new version just does a better job presenting that book report by finally not skipping over memorable scenes from the film. Imagine going on a Pinocchio ride that just ends with Monstro and completely skips the ending of the movie.
2. The ride technically did have a happy ending.. in the form of a fairy tale book and a happy mural approaching the unload station... it just wasn't executed properly.. guests were rushed by the book and completely missed the mural as they were asked to disembark before even getting the chance to notice it.
3. All that was removed was a hag in a boat, a hag w a hologram arm, and probably some 99 cent store bats on strings.

Was that the heart and soul of the whole ride to you?

Animaniac93-98

Forest is virtually identical to 71, though painted with more detail.

I was going over footage of the Tokyo ride last night and comparing it with the WDW 71 layout posted on Widen Your World's article.

The forest has more or less all the same props, but some of the placement is different. The eye mobile is earlier in the Tokyo version and there are two less gators, none of which slide into place (boo).

But it has the same feel/tone so I love it.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Um no.
1. the previous ride was also a book report... they just completely skipped crucial happy scenes from the movie... each scene in the old version of the attraction is directly taken/inspired from the movie.... including the ending of the attraction where she falls off a cliff. The attraction never served as a new adventure or a sequel to the film... All the Fantasyland dark rides are book reports. This new version just does a better job presenting that book report by finally not skipping over memorable scenes from the film. Imagine going on a Pinocchio ride that just ends with Monstro and completely skips the ending of the movie.
2. The ride technically did have a happy ending.. in the form of a fairy tale book and a happy mural approaching the unload station... it just wasn't executed properly.. guests were rushed by the book and completely missed the mural as they were asked to disembark before even getting the chance to notice it.
3. All that was removed was a hag in a boat, a hag w a hologram arm, and probably some 99 cent store bats on strings.

Was that the heart and soul of the whole ride to you?
Everything you just said was wrong.

Animaniac93-98

Random question, I remember seeing on Twitter recently (a couple months ago? last year?) an upclose backstage photo of the "witch shadow" at the top of the stairs in this scene. Anyone have that? Dug around for a while and couldn't find it.

1600998228022.png

"This photo of Snow White's Scary Adventures was first published in the original WDW Pictorial Souvenir (1972). It's one of a handful of official shots that reflected the cool black light look of Snow White, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and Peter Pan's Flight in their prime. Even though I’ve stared at it on and off since 1977, only 35 years later did it finally look to me like a composite shot. The ghostly shadow on the upper cottage wall in this image is positioned at an angle that the construct of the scene would have made unlikely, because the metal silhouette that made the shadow was mounted not on the top staircase landing (where the ghost starts here) but on a shelf across the second-story divide of the room. And while the ghost shown here does in fact appear to have horns, as one Dwarf calls out, the only version I can prove with video or photos had a hooded, hornless head shape (more images to follow below). So this particular ghost was probably drawn on top of, or laid over, a photo of the upper cottage wall that was shot under augmented lighting for purposes of an official photo that approximated the scene … otherwise the shadow would not have shown up at all and the wall would have the same blue glow that we see in unlit video of the scene. Not that it matters too much. If nothing else it's a fun angle on the dwarfs."

Sharon&Susan

Imagine going on a Pinocchio ride that just ends with Monstro and completely skips the ending of the movie.
If that means an underwater sequence or a section going through Monstro's stomach, instead of an ending that's longer than it needs to be without Pinocchio even becoming a real boy, consider me sold!
I'm not going on these spookhouse rides for storytelling.
Exactly, would anyone go on Peter Pan's Flight without the flying over London and Neverland sequence? Or Toad if it followed the movie scene by scene.

swge

If that means an underwater sequence or a section going through Monstro's stomach, instead of an ending that's longer than it needs to be without Pinocchio even becoming a real boy, consider me sold!

Exactly, would anyone go on Peter Pan's Flight without the flying over London and Neverland sequence? Or Toad if it followed the movie scene by scene.
I understand you completely. At the end of the day, Snow is being changed not for storytelling purposes.. the other dark rides also have their own similar issues w telling their stories as you mentioned. The attraction simply needs to be less scary, feature Snow White more, be more inclusive to children, and do it in a way that makes sense w the movie... and that's what they've done. Both my and your opinions on this specific topic don't even really matter bc while we all enjoy this attraction, its not intended for only us to enjoy... hence the changes.

George Lucas on a Bench

The attraction simply needs to be less scary, feature Snow White more, be more inclusive to children, and do it in a way that makes sense w the movie... and that's what they've done. Both my and your opinions on this specific topic don't even really matter bc while we all enjoy this attraction, its not intended for only us to enjoy... hence the changes.

What do you say to the generations of Brave Souls who have experienced this ride as babies and lived to tell the tale without being traumatized? Shpecial Widdle Shnowflakesh can take it if generations of children have endured riding the cart past crude ghoulish effects for decades. Why does it suddenly need to be changed now?

swge

What do you say to the generations of Brave Souls who have experienced this ride as babies and lived to tell the tale without being traumatized? Shpecial Widdle Shnowflakesh can take it if generations of children have endured riding the cart past crude ghoulish effects for decades. Why does it suddenly need to be changed now?
Because Disney is changing to be more inclusive. From adding celebrations year round acknowledging different cultures, to removing Song of the South, and making this children's ride cater to.. you know, children. It's all in an attempt to have everybody enjoy each experience and to remove anything that could celebrate anything that excludes anybody. They've even just announced that they're adding "inclusive" to their existing 4 keys of company values. Being inclusive is the direction Disney is going in and its gonna look like a lot of additions and changes that will upset regressive fanboys/girls.

SplashGhost

Tokyo Disneyland SWA's I think is the best one. Retains all the classic, scary parts while still having the dwarves singing in the cottage- which I think is fine as it is a classic scene from the film and really makes sense for them to be in there vs. MK's 1971's dark nightmare cottage.

I just watched this ride through video and it does look like the best version. Also, it is evident TDL takes much better care of their dark rides than DLR does.

And about this new version being something kids would like. Walt himself said "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Just because kids like something, it doesn't make it good. The adult fans are the ones that stay passionate for years and years, and actually buy the tickets. The adult fans are also the ones that pass on their love of Disney to their kids. If Disney alienates the adult fans, they also alienate kids.

George Lucas on a Bench

I just watched this ride through video and it does look like the best version. Also, it is evident TDL takes much better care of their dark rides than DLR does.

And about this new version being something kids would like. Walt himself said "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Just because kids like something, it doesn't make it good. The adult fans are the ones that stay passionate for years and years, and actually buy the tickets. The adult fans are also the ones that pass on their love of Disney to their kids. If Disney alienates the adult fans, they also alienate kids.

Walt who?

swge

Why is not intended for me to enjoy?
I said it's not intended for **only** you to enjoy. It's intended for kids to enjoy as well. And the kids are not enjoying it. While y'all come from a fan perspective only, there's a perspective that exists that you all don't focus on and will never understand. From ride counts, to in person feedback, the ride has proved to have had a problem for years. It hasn't been received well by an entire community of people that fans on the forums choose to ignore, families with children. Disneyland exists to cater to families with children.. its why Walt built the park in the first place.. Disney would not be pouring the amount of money its spending on something that didn't need attention.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I said it's not intended for **only** you to enjoy. It's intended for kids to enjoy as well. And the kids are not enjoying it. While y'all come from a fan perspective only, there's a perspective that exists that you all don't focus on and will never understand. From ride counts, to in person feedback, the ride has proved to have had a problem for years. It hasn't been received well by an entire community of people that fans on the forums choose to ignore, families with children. Disneyland exists to cater to families with children.. its why Walt built the park in the first place.. Disney would not be pouring the amount of money its spending on something that didn't need attention.
Funny since I always see a queue filled with families with children for decades now and everyone loves it because they get back in line for it. Kids love the scary aspects of the ride. Where does this sudden "protect the kids" from scary things come from lately? It's not healthy to shield developing kids from scary things. You need to stimulate all the emotions so they grow up to handle tough and scary situations with confidence even when you don't have any control. As a kid I loved being scared by Gremlins, Monster Squad, The Lost Boys, roller coasters, and scary dark rides. Its when you treat kids like precious glass do they break. This is why giving every kid a participation trophy is bad. Kids love the way the ride has been, I know because I used to be one and loved the crap out of it for being soo different than the movie.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom