News Disney updates its legendary Four Keys model to include a fifth key

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was just doing some reading on "Cultural Transformation" and it seems to be a very nebulous term that doesn't have one clear definition. Some people in the thread seem to think it has to do with "inclusion", which is what I was thinking, but a lot of the site I read say nothing about that.

_caleb

Honest question, what has Disney done to be exclusionary, other than price most people out? The overwhelming majority of CM are caring and respectful to all guests and already conduct themselves at the highest level or courtesy and respect. The only time I have observed where things go wrong is when guests create a toxic environment. I'm not exactly sure how Disney can filter guests though.

I agree. Lots of people are speaking up and saying (in effect), "Courtesy hasn't brought inclusion for us!" Disney is listening and responding.

How have Cast Members acted in a systemically exclusionary manner towards guests?
Replying to both since you both asked similar questions. I don't think there has been a groundswell of feedback that Disney has been exclusive (other than by being so expensive!). I'm talking about the broad social conversation happening around the world right now in regard to exclusion of minorities in our societies.

Disney has long promoted inclusion and diversity, but it makes sense that they would listen to what people are saying and then ask themselves how they might do better. This is one of the steps they're taking in response. I would imagine it's also an attempt to break from the reputation of things in the past.

And before anyone jumps in with "Disney doesn't care about anything but making money, they're a business!" Yes, that's true, but there are some things they choose to do that are based on some values beyond just making money (casting minority and female actors in big films, intentionally adding diversity to film/tv, etc.).

That's all I'll say unless this thread gets pushed to the Social Issues and Politics boards, but I don't think the addition of a 5th key is a bad thing.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I know what it means. Hence I said "I get where they're going with it."

What I meant must've went over your head and that's ok, because it's not really important. It's just funny timing, that is all.
Sorry, that did go over my head :joyfull:

All companies feel they need to do this now, particularly when HR is formulating strategic plans for the coming fiscal year. Its not a bad thing at all but as some have said, it seems more optics than anything else.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Replying to both since you both asked similar questions. I don't think there has been a groundswell of feedback that Disney has been exclusive (other than by being so expensive!). I'm talking about the broad social conversation happening around the world right now in regard to exclusion of minorities in our societies.
That's fine if TWDC (corporate) wants to make it part of their mission statement or corporate values. The Keys are not that, they are integral to Disney's parks and how the guests are viewed/treated by CM. It really has nothing to do with a social conversation or exclusion of anyone. Actions like this (marketing inspired wokeness) diminish the overall effort of hard working CM to do the job they do, because it implies they haven't done this before, or been successful at being inclusive, when we know that is total BS.

Rteetz

Lol. It’s part of courtesy. Just another attempt by Disney to be woke.

Doesn't this come under "Courtesy " ?
One would think but this also works both ways. There certainly have been discrimination or racial issues within the structures of Disney. Guests yell racial slurs at CMs regularly as well. Disney is starting to realize (hopefully) that things can and should improve.

lazyboy97o

Disney has long promoted inclusion and diversity, but it makes sense that they would listen to what people are saying and then ask themselves how they might do better. This is one of the steps they're taking in response. I would imagine it's also an attempt to break from the reputation of things in the past.

And before anyone jumps in with "Disney doesn't care about anything but making money, they're a business!" Yes, that's true, but there are some things they choose to do that are based on some values beyond just making money (casting minority and female actors in big films, intentionally adding diversity to film/tv, etc.).

That's all I'll say unless this thread gets pushed to the Social Issues and Politics boards, but I don't think the addition of a 5th key is a bad thing.
I’m sorry but this is a contradictory non-answer. You literally said people are saying Courtesy has not been sufficient for them to be inconcluded. Now you’re saying it’s not. Which is it? We’re not talking about social issues. The Four Keys are specifically about operating the parks.

One would think but this also works both ways. There certainly have been discrimination or racial issues within the structures of Disney. Guests yell racial slurs at CMs regularly as well. Disney is starting to realize (hopefully) that things can and should improve.
Neither internal corporate issues nor guest behavior are related to forward facing operations. Blaming Cast Members for treating guests poorly will not fix internal structural issues but they might undermine actually addressing such issues.

Rteetz

Neither internal corporate issues nor guest behavior are related to forward facing operations. Blaming Cast Members for treating guests poorly will not fix internal structural issues but they might undermine actually addressing such issues.
Again I see this change as something for the entire company not just front line operations. Disney is and should be working on this issue on multiple levels.

Rteetz

Examples? If Disney is somehow engaging in, encouraging or tolerating discrimination against guests it’s something that should be outed, not kept a secret.
My examples are not against guests but internal between CMs and guests towards CMs. Like I mentioned above I see this addition as working on all aspects of inclusion not just CMs interacting with guests. CM to CM should not tolerate any of that, that is for sure.

monothingie

Premium Member
Does Disney just tolerate that from guests and leave them be? I would think such conduct would be grounds for removal.

What specifically does Disney do to effect inclusion? How does it get quantified into daily operations? You can take steps to quantify it with the 4 existing keys?

Rteetz

Does Disney just tolerate that from guests and leave them be? I would think such conduct would be grounds for removal.

What specifically does Disney do to effect inclusion? How does it get quantified into daily operations? You can take steps to quantify it with the 4 existing keys?
In the past it was very much tolerated unfortunately. Now there are actions to be taken. CMs are allowed to walk off stage if they are in a situation. Things are ever evolving though too.

monothingie

Premium Member
In the past it was very much tolerated unfortunately. Now there are actions to be taken. CMs are allowed to walk off stage if they are in a situation. Things are ever evolving though too.

Which is fantastic yet surprising tbh that it took so long for Disney to address abhorrent guest behavior.

But how does one prevent those interactions from occurring? Disney can't prescreen guests.

They also can't prescreen CM who would potentially engage in exclusionary behavior. The fact that it does happen is surprising but not unexpected in an organization that employs tens of thousands of people at a single location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom