Trip Report Shrouded In A Daft Disguise *COMPLETED*

Two weeks ago today, I returned home from the most surreal Disney vacation I have ever experienced.

During my last visit in February, I couldn’t have imagined having to wear a face mask and have my temperature taken before being allowed into a park. “Social distancing” wasn’t part of my vocabulary. Hand sanitizer was something I carried in a little bottle in my purse, not something in giant containers at the entrance/exit of every attraction.

No park hopping? No Fastpasses? No FIREWORKS :jawdrop: ?!! Not even on my radar screen.

Like a bolt out of the blue, the pandemic struck and life was dramatically altered. For everyone. And there is no Magic Mirror to tell us when it will be over. For me the pandemic has been a reminder to take nothing for granted ~ and that there can still be joy in the darkest days.

My name is Tuvalu and I have been a WDW annual passholder for nearly 25 years. I was raised on Disney and so were my children. The parks have always been my “escape” from real life. Could they still be an “escape” in the midst of a pandemic? After months of quarantine, I was ready to find out.

My daughter Em was my travel buddy. My husband Woody had reservations, but not for our safety. He was concerned we’d struggle with the restrictions and disappointment with all the changes. He wanted us to come back happy and wasn’t sure we would. Truthfully, I wasn’t sure we would either. After much research and due diligence, Em and I felt prepared to embark on a vacation with few expectations.

6603EDC0-8856-4CF0-9F82-3A98E965AA50.jpeg

Full disclosure ~ I‘ve wrestled with writing a report of our trip. The pandemic and subsequent events have caused much division on this Disney fan forum. I’ve always considered the trip reports section to be a “safe space” and hope it stays that way. My goal is to provide entertainment to the reader, nothing more.

With that in mind.....

DE01E0D7-DEFD-4267-AEA4-9339E1E1B4A7.jpeg

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Sunday, July 19, 2020

The day we'd been anticipating for months was finally here. After the disappointment of canceled trips in April, May and June, Em and I fully expected that this vacation was unlikely to happen as well. Even after the parks' reopening date was finally announced and our dates were in the green zone, we remained guarded. We didn't even pack until the last minute.

While we felt driving would be safer than flying, a road trip presented its own
challenges during a pandemic ~ mainly restroom accessibility. I checked in advance which rest areas were open. Stopping for breakfast or lunch would also look different, since most restaurant dining rooms (and thus their bathrooms) remained closed. Limited liquid intake was going to be key!

Once the parks reopened we saw photos and watched videos of all the modifications Disney had made to accommodate physical distancing, as well as their increased cleanliness and sanitation measures. (And we continued to be impressed with extra safety measures that we didn't see until after we arrived.) The ability to tolerate mask wearing in summer heat and humidity was naturally a concern for us (but something we ultimately found much easier than we thought.) We felt as prepared as we could be going into the unknown.

Em spent the night at our house to make early-morning departure easier. As pilot, she made the executive decision to drive thru Dunkin' for coffee and donuts before entering I-75 southbound. No need to stop for breakfast!

We did stop at the Florida Welcome Center to use the facilities several hours later. Note the Disney window decals (and palm trees, @Darstarr!)

View attachment 489905

For lunch we had a "car picnic" in Gainesville. When Woody and I grow weary of being sheltered at home, we'll drive thru a fast food restaurant (most often your Friday favorite, @Rista1313 ;) ) and park in a shady spot to eat and enjoy the outdoors. Car picnics have become a nice, unexpected result of the pandemic for us. Today Em and I picked McDonald's, primarily for good Coke.....only to discover an abominable concoction of cola and cherry syrup in our cups. :hungover:

But soon we were on the home stretch and shortly before 2 pm this lovely sight came into view.

View attachment 489906

And then this not-so-lovely sight....

View attachment 489907

....a new addition to the Swolphin complex.

We followed a Frozen bus into our home for the next week.

View attachment 489908
❤️🌴😘

dizfan917

whew! I'm so glad to see you've decided to write about your experience! I was afraid that you might not. Kevin and I are headed back on 9/5, so we're looking for all the advice and prep we can get. I'm ready to see those pulled pork nachos!!

p.s. I think the Tamboo is opening this week, Toovaloo!! :geek:

maybe I'm the first Cheese Head to join in your adventure?! prolly not...

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
whew! I'm so glad to see you've decided to write about your experience! I was afraid that you might not. Kevin and I are headed back on 9/5, so we're looking for all the advice and prep we can get. I'm ready to see those pulled pork nachos!!
You know me so well.

39A24AB9-D9E4-48F0-A77D-BD9B79735645.jpeg

p.s. I think the Tamboo is opening this week, Toovaloo!! :geek:
Woot! Woot!

maybe I'm the first Cheese Head to join in your adventure?! prolly not...
@ajrwdwgirl hasn’t checked in yet, so you might be!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, con’t

The temperature screening booth was at the end of our bus terminal section. I imagine each terminal has its own temperature screening, but since ours was closest to the MK entrance I cannot say for sure. The CM and temperature screener welcomed us with a wave. We may have been the first guests they had seen in awhile.

60A92FFF-044D-4D74-8A52-C4AC7B91AD52.jpeg

The process took just a couple of seconds and we were on our way to fight the crowds at the entrance.

D7C1F26F-50B6-434E-A89D-FB4320859FFB.jpeg

untitled shoot-002.jpg

I was hard to find in the afternoon surge of people.

untitled shoot-003.jpg

Was it really 2:40 pm?

untitled shoot-005.jpg

The Newsstand was shuttered.

untitled shoot-006.jpg

Perhaps everybody was inside the park?

untitled shoot-007.jpg

untitled shoot-008.jpg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
For those curious, the finger scanners at the tapstiles are covered by a metal plate so you just scan your band (or ticket) and you are good to go!

Em and I had stopped for a Photopass shoot in front of the train station but those pictures never showed up. :cautious: Can’t even blame Callan, since the photographer was female!

Good thing we stopped for another shoot with Roy and Minnie.

A46EB26C-0104-41E9-B194-5BE0C5DCFB81.jpeg

1F2C437B-D2A3-4CE7-88F1-51C04B377D9D.jpeg

When was the last time you saw a near-desolate Main Street around 3 pm? Umm, never?!!

untitled shoot-011.jpg

And there was even a three o’clock parade!

untitled shoot-013.jpg

untitled shoot-014.jpg

untitled shoot-016.jpg

untitled shoot-020.jpg

untitled shoot-019.jpg

Granted it was just a one float pop-up of Goofy’s cavalcade, but it was festive and added life to Main Street!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry I haven’t checked in yet. Too busy practicing my mask skill at WDW! 😷😉
Your tardiness is forgiven due to the BEST EXCUSE EVER!

Looking forward to reading your report. Thanks for taking the time to do it.
Thanks for joining in, @dddisney!

Love the masks, ladies! ;)

Is Em back at school? I've been thinking of all of the teachers here, it's a rough time to be one.
We know a gal. :cat:
Em is back in her classroom. Virtual school begins on Monday.

WOW, I'm loving the no crowds!!!
What’s not to love?!!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Sunday, con’t

The temperature screening booth was at the end of our bus terminal section. I imagine each terminal has its own temperature screening, but since ours was closest to the MK entrance I cannot say for sure. The CM and temperature screener welcomed us with a wave. We may have been the first guests they had seen in awhile.

View attachment 490019

The process took just a couple of seconds and we were on our way to fight the crowds at the entrance.

View attachment 490020

View attachment 490021

I was hard to find in the afternoon surge of people.

View attachment 490022

Was it really 2:40 pm?

View attachment 490023

The Newsstand was shuttered.

View attachment 490024

Perhaps everybody was inside the park?

View attachment 490025

View attachment 490026
Did you photoshop yourself into a week after Labor Day 1980something pic?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom