Disney's FY20 Q3 Earnings (8/4/20)

rk03221

I don't know. I feel like Disney is overestimating how many people actually want to see Mulan to begin with. I mean, does it look like it appeals to kids, the Marvel crowd, etc.? I just feel like it has bomb written all over it. I actually want to see it (not for $30 on Disney +) and it may be pretty good, but I just don't see it as something that's going to be making a ton of cash, even IN theaters before this whole COVID thing happened.

I think you are underestimating how many people in China will want to see it.It doesn’t have to do that great here as long as it makes money in China

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Completely different.

Movie screen.............................................................................................................................TV screen
View attachment 489007View attachment 489008
I can’t wait for 31 pages of defenses for Disney thinking a couch is a trip to the theater in the psyche...
...for a live action remake that was likely NOT going to do too well in the theaters in NA.

Black widow is the next big decision.

AEfx

Is Mulan a rental or a purchase? Because new films on VOD have been around $20 just to rent for a day or two. If $30 means you get to “own” it, then yes, in terms of the digital market - that is quite in line and some would say a bargain.

Very interesting it’s Mulan and not Black Widow. Just like Hamilton, I think they are dumping the bigger risks first before they get that desperate as to release a Marvel movie this way.

Slpy3270

I think you are underestimating how many people in China will want to see it.It doesn’t have to do that great here as long as it makes money in China

Exactly. Live-action Mulan is much like The Meg in that despite being mostly an American production, it was produced with Chinese audiences in mind (The Meg takes place in China and has lots of Chinese celebs, much like Mulan).

Sir_Cliff

They'll get more out of charging $30 for Mulan than just putting it up on Disney+ for free and probably more than they can expect from a theatre release anytime in the near future.

I wouldn't as I live alone :cry: , but I can see families paying for it considering it's cheaper than going to the movies and makes it a bit of an event at home when so many are unwilling or unable to spend much time outside the home. I also think it's worth using it as a test case of whether this is a viable strategy for major movies if cinemas take a while to come back or never quite come back in the same way.

Brer Oswald

Is Mulan a rental or a purchase? Because new films on VOD have been around $20 just to rent for a day or two. If $30 means you get to “own” it, then yes, in terms of the digital market - that is quite in line and some would say a bargain.

Very interesting it’s Mulan and not Black Widow. Just like Hamilton, I think they are dumping the bigger risks first before they get that desperate as to release a Marvel movie this way.
Well...it’s on Disney + which is subscription based. You can’t exactly own D+.

brianstl

So Disney actually made a meager earnings this quarter despite park closures and missing revenue, even after all the analysts predicted they'd lose money.

That's...not terrible? I was expecting them to miss everything.

And this is interesting: despite raising a lot of debt, current liabilities *decreased*, albeit slightly from last year.
They didn't have meager earnings. They lost $4.8 billion from continuing operations. They show a profit because they were able to book credits associated with past charges involved in their purchase of Fox.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

I would guess that Mulan is a test for the VoD market. If it goes well, then I wouldn't be surprised for Black Widow to follow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom