News Hurricane Isaias possible impacts to the theme parks

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I was taught that cyclones were in the eastern hemisphere and hurricanes were in the western. Did I have a faulty education? Can I sue?

Yes, you should.

Cyclones are spinning masses of air turning around a low pressure system (counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, clockwise in the Southern).

If spinning around a high pressure, it's called an anticyclone (clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, widdershins in the Southern).

Cyclones include hurricanes, typhoons, tornadoes, and water spouts.

Cyclones that are based on warm tropical air over the ocean are called hurricanes in the Western Hemisphere, typhoons in the Pacific North-Eastern Semi-Hemisphere, and cyclones in the Pacific/Indian South-Eastern Semi-Hemisphere.

Last edited:

PurpleMan

In the Parks
No
Good grief what's next? Nedry turning off the fences
1595975966329.png

DVCakaCarlF

Yes, you should.

Cyclones are spinning masses of air turning around a low pressure system (counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, clockwise in the Southern).

If spinning around a high pressure, it's called an anticyclone (clockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, widdershins in the Southern).

Cyclones include hurricanes, typhoons, tornadoes, and water spouts.

Cyclones that are based on warm tropical air over the ocean are called hurricanes in the Western Hemisphere, typhoons in the Pacific North-Eastern Semi-Hemisphere, and cyclones in the Pacific/Indian South-Eastern Semi-Hemisphere.
My understanding is that cyclones are pacific and hurricanes are Atlantic.

techgeek

My understanding is that cyclones are pacific and hurricanes are Atlantic.

The Pacific is divided into two basins for tropical systems in the northern hemisphere.

If a cyclone forms west of 180 degrees (generally following the International Date Line), it's a typhoon and forecast by interests in Asia or for US Territories the Joint Typhoon Warning Center. If it's east of that, it's a Hurricane and forecast from the NHC or Central Pacific Hurricane Center. If it's in the Pacific in the southern hemisphere it's always a "Tropical Cyclone".

Lilofan

When did Floridians start worrying about tropical storms? I thought it had to be at least a cat 3 before they raised an eyebrow.
Just watch the news when gas stations start closing because they ran out of gas, long lines to buy food, generators, plywood to prepare. Cat 1/2 can do damage. That's if anyone has any money to buy these things with record unemployment.

John park hopper

In typical fashion people will start panic buying because the media hypes the slightest thing into it's the end of the world. The current track shows it as a tropical storm shifting to the west side of FL which will bring rain and some wind to WDW ---Better stock pile toilet paper if you can find it sorry that was the last crisis

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom