The Red Button Option

lazyboy97o

Did Lasseter demonstrably just have no interest in taking over a role like Iger's?

We all know what ultimately ended up happening there, but given the way Lassie WAS sort of seen as a second-coming when he got more involved with the parks in addition to driving Animation, it surprises me that Iger let out as long a leash as he did.

I would have thought of him as a bigger threat to Iger than Matt Ouimet.
John was never the business man, that was more Ed’s role. Also notice that John’s role in the parks fell off a cliff after Cars Land.

tirian

Did Lasseter demonstrably just have no interest in taking over a role like Iger's?

We all know what ultimately ended up happening there, but given the way Lassie WAS sort of seen as a second-coming when he got more involved with the parks in addition to driving Animation, it surprises me that Iger let out as long a leash as he did.

I would have thought of him as a bigger threat to Iger than Matt Ouimet.
Quick tangent: Lasseter was always a wild card, and his narcissism led to strange decisions. He oversaw WDI, but only led vanity projects such as Cars Land and upgrades to DL’s Jungle Cruise. He also hyped Mermaid a bit. The rest of P&R didn’t interest him much.

In animation, he spearheaded the return to hand-drawn with PATF, yet dropped it without qualms when the movie was mis-marketed and underperformed. He was devoted to Studio Ghibli and oversaw excellent American dubs, yet didn’t attempt to address the company’s concerns and let the contract pass to GKids.

I suspect Iger and the board knew Lasseter was driven too much by personal passion projects to be considered for the CEO position over divisions that Lasseter couldn’t care less about.

yensidtlaw1969

Quick tangent: Lasseter was always a wild card, and his narcissism led to strange decisions. He oversaw WDI, but only led vanity projects such as Cars Land and upgrades to DL’s Jungle Cruise. He also hyped Mermaid a bit. The rest of P&R didn’t interest him much.

In animation, he spearheaded the return to hand-drawn with PATF, yet dropped it without qualms when the movie was mis-marketed and underperformed. He was devoted to Studio Ghibli and oversaw excellent American dubs, yet didn’t attempt to address the company’s concerns and let the contract pass to GKids.

I suspect Iger and the board knew Lasseter was driven too much by personal passion projects to be considered for the CEO position over divisions that Lasseter couldn’t care less about.
That seems to pass the sniff test - I never really got the impression that he was angling for CEO, but I couldn't figure out what was painting that picture.

It's just interesting that a heavy-hitter like him could be given so much reign and garner such widespread acclaim, but Matt Ouimet needed to be nipped in the bud. Wouldn't have thought if it hadn't been said.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Considering that The Magic Kingdom is the most popular park by a nautical mile and hasn't had a "latest and greatest" attraction open since 1992, that doesn't seem to hold up.

The vast majority of the most popular attractions at MK are in the "tried and true" category and the park continues to outperform the other gates, even when they get genuine "latest and greatest" expansions and additions . . .

7DMT doesn't count?

Jrb1979

My only comment on the attraction part of things is that new attractions don't really bump attendance like they do at other parks across the US. Any time a Cedar Fair park adds a big new coaster in usually ends in a big boost in attendance. I also am on other theme park boards and I constantly see people posting and being talked excited for the new rides. On Disney fan boards that excitement isn't there.

So I do see the point about diminishing returns. IMO the issue is that every new attraction is pretty much a dark ride with new technology. I look at Rise and I see an upgraded version of the penguin ride at SeaWorld. For a company that supposedly have some of the best Imagineers, they don't innovate much.

MerlinTheGoat

7DMT doesn't count?
As a reputable insider named Lee said years back (who no longer posts here), it's a "nice little D ticket". That's what Disney classifies it as internally. But it's definitely not on the level of a POTC, Splash Mtn or Big Thunder.
But it was "billed" as a "latest and greatest". Execution, Delivery, and Reception are a different story.
Disney says that about pretty much everything they build. Little Mermaid as well. When Toy Story Land was announced for DHS, they laughably compared it to Cars Land in terms of quality. It's all marketing nonsense.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
As a reputable insider named Lee said years back (who no longer posts here), it's a "nice little D ticket". That's what Disney classifies it as internally. But it's definitely not on the level of a POTC, Splash Mtn or Big Thunder.

Disney says that about pretty much everything they build. Little Mermaid as well. When Toy Story Land was announced for DHS, they laughably compared it to Cars Land in terms of quality. It's all marketing nonsense.

Not disagreeing. But it - along with the Fantasyland addition was billed as "The Latest and Greatest" - was it not? My response was to a post claiming Disney did not have a "Latest and Greatest" since 1992. And they have. The result of which is open to a great deal of discussion.

Jrb1979

Like I said for a company that claims has some of the best Imagineers in the world they don't innovate much.

MerlinTheGoat

That seems to pass the sniff test - I never really got the impression that he was angling for CEO, but I couldn't figure out what was painting that picture.

It's just interesting that a heavy-hitter like him could be given so much reign and garner such widespread acclaim, but Matt Ouimet needed to be nipped in the bud. Wouldn't have thought if it hadn't been said.
Ouimet was an easier target to get rid of, it seems that Iger considered him expendable. Lasseter not so much. Lasseter was integral to the Pixar merger as well as rebuilding Disney's own devastated animation department among other important tasks within TWDC. It has been said that he commanded an insane degree of political power at TWDC, which I absolutely believe was true at the time.

I don't know if Iger liked or disliked Lasseter. But either way, Lasseter seemed to be too valuable to get rid of at the time, and Iger didn't have a reasonable way to get rid of him. That is, until the harassment stories came out. Then it no longer mattered if he was liked, valuable or powerful.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

Like I said for a company that claims has some of the best Imagineers in the world they don't innovate much.
That's a reputation that was once well deserved but has GREATLY diminished in recent years. Most of their best imagineers are either dead, retired, resigned or fired. This was being discussed by myself, tirian and a handful of others in another thread recently-

Jrb1979

No other company has “imagineers”
I know but other companies have people like that. Universal does and the companies that design roller coasters and other attractions do. IMO the major roller coaster companies have been a lot more innovative then the Disney Imagineers. Many of Disney's main attractions are dark rides using new technology as it comes along. When was the last true innovative attraction at Disney? Rise is not innovative as it's basically upgraded form of Ratatouille. Innovative is what Universal did with Forbidden Journey as it was a new type of attraction.

peter11435

I know but other companies have people like that. Universal does and the companies that design roller coasters and other attractions do. IMO the major roller coaster companies have been a lot more innovative then the Disney Imagineers. Many of Disney's main attractions are dark rides using new technology as it comes along. When was the last true innovative attraction at Disney? Rise is not innovative as it's basically upgraded form of Ratatouille. Innovative is what Universal did with Forbidden Journey as it was a new type of attraction.
Universal didn’t Invent the tech used in Forbidden in Journey.

Jrb1979

Universal didn’t Invent the tech used in Forbidden in Journey.
Either way somebody did and that sort of innovation is lacking at Disney. You obviously don't agree.

Name something other then Flight of Passage that Disney has come up with that is truly a new ride design? I look at what RMC has done for coasters with their single rail coasters and their hybrid design like Iron Gwazi. That to me is innovation. Rise and Ratatouille are they same ride design.

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Either way somebody did and that sort of innovation is lacking at Disney. You obviously don't agree.

Name something other then Flight of Passage that Disney has come up with that is truly a new ride design? I look at what RMC has done for coasters with their single rail coasters and their hybrid design like Iron Gwazi. That to me is innovation. Rise and Ratatouille are they same ride design.
Sometimes it’s not about new ride systems. It’s how you utilize a combination of systems. Rise is a perfect example of this. This type of thoughtfulness is needed across the board, not necessarily new ride systems.

Jrb1979

Sometimes it’s not about new ride systems. It’s how you utilize a combination of systems. Rise is a perfect example of this. This type of thoughtfulness is needed across the board, not necessarily new ride systems.
I agree. Lately that thoughtfulness seems to be lacking. I look at coaster companies and how they keep trying to push the boundaries on what can be done. When I look at Disney they just stick to what they know and really never go farther.

It doesn't help that a lot Disney fans don't have the excitement for new attractions like other parks do. I constantly see vloggers and posts about the new Jurrasic Park coaster. A lot are excited for it. On Disney boards I don't see the same excitement for Tron or Ratatouille.

HauntedMansionFLA

Lee was awesome. He was spot on, especially Pandora and DAK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom