Will ANYTHING ever happen to Discovery Island?

doctornick

The only way I could see it being used is for some sort of high priced excursions. Stuff akin to the fireworks cruises but on land (and higher price point). That's the only way you'd really be able to justify the cost to develop and continue to use that land. And even then there is so much available and cheaper land that can be used for almost anything - can't really see modern Disney using the island any time soon.

jensenrick

The only way I could see it being used is for some sort of high priced excursions. Stuff akin to the fireworks cruises but on land (and higher price point). That's the only way you'd really be able to justify the cost to develop and continue to use that land. And even then there is so much available and cheaper land that can be used for almost anything - can't really see modern Disney using the island any time soon.

I would not imagine you can see any fireworks or much else from that island.

Giss Neric

How big is Discovery Island? I know it used to be a water park. It is big enough today where it can house a water park and a huge parking lot? Never really been near it.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
How big is Discovery Island? I know it used to be a water park. It is big enough today where it can house a water park and a huge parking lot? Never really been near it.
River Country, the water park, was not on Discovery Island. It was nearby. It was closed in part because it was too small.

It is smaller than most of the hotel properties.

Giss Neric

River Country, the water park, was not on Discovery Island. It was nearby. It was closed in part because it was too small.

It is smaller than most of the hotel properties.
Oh damn, you're right. I always thought River County was in Discovery Island. Now I know.

What about that tree where retired CMs hang their shoes, was that Discovery Island?

John park hopper

I can remember going over to Discovery Island it was a great place to take rest in the shade my kids love it. Seems like a prime piece of real estate to do something with what a waste to just abandon it and let it rot. Some sort of pirate theme thrill ride.
th.jpeg
It's 11.5 acts seems big enough to do something

Last edited:

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

Dude, do you not know Discovery Island is an actual island? There's no need for a parking lot.....

Heppenheimer

The only way I could see Disney ever investing a significant amount of money into Discovery Island again would be exclusive, high price events. The fact that you can only access the island by boat and the relatively small size puts a considerable limit on how many people visit in a given day. And lately, Disney doesn't seem interested in small little projects that add only an incremental return on investment.

EDIT: OK, now that I've looked at the Google Earth images, I see that Discovery Island is actually much larger than I thought (it appears to be about 2/3 the size of the guest-accessible areas of the Magic Kingdom), and it sits close enough to Ft. Wilderness that foot bridge access wouldn't be out of the question. So, I take back all of my above comments.

Last edited:

Scrooged

There were some fun rumors involving the developers of the Myst franchise (if anyone here remembers that classic game) transforming the island. Obviously nothing ever came of it.

As an early PC point and click enthusiast, I find this to be intriguing.,...

Books with lost messages of Walt in video form...
Sherman brothers piano powered rocket....
Goofy underground railroad to get back to the mainland....
This could work....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom