Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Communicora

Premium Member
Interesting possible outcome for MLB -

"The plan, sources said, would dictate that all 30 teams play games at stadiums with no fans in the greater Phoenix area, including the Arizona Diamondbacks Chase Field, 10 spring training facilities and perhaps other nearby fields. Players, coaching staffs and other essential personnel would be sequestered at local hotels, where they would live in relative isolation and travel only to and from the stadium, sources said. Federal officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as the National Institutes of Health have been supportive of a plan that would adhere to strict isolation, promote social distancing and allow MLB to become the first professional sport to return."

This seems like an unworkable plan. Emphasis mine.

"The logistics to pull off such a plan would be enormous and cumbersome on the league side and require the buy-in of players, who sources expect to be skeptical of separating from their families for an indefinite amount of time -- perhaps as long as 4½ months, if the inability to stem the coronavirus outbreak keeps teams from playing in their home stadiums in 2020. "

Rimmit

I still honestly wonder how much this disease would have been noticed if people thought it was a particularly virulent strain of the flu. I also wonder if we are actually much further into the curve.

As a health care professional we do not notice things until there is a consistent new pattern. If just one person dies of an “unknown” cause in every hospital in America at the Exact same time we would never notice as each hospital only would have seen one patient with this new disease. Physicians are creatures of habit and as we say in medicine “common things are common.” You don’t look for zebras where there are a bunch of horses. (Zebras are what we call rare diseases in the medical community.).

HIV was discovered because a new pattern of death was emerging in the homosexual population. (We obviously know now that it is not just linked to being homosexual). The pattern was that of an increase in pneumocystis carinii penuominia (PCP) that cropped up in the MMWR (Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report that is published by the CDC) it took a while for them to figure out that it was due to a new virus causing immunodeficiency.

While it would have taken a while to figure out this was a novel coronavirus if China hadn’t figured it out first I can assure you that the medical community would have taken notice when just out of nowhere we went from a “slight uptick” in ICU admissions to war time conditions in a matter of weeks. It’s kind of hard to miss the rows of patients on ventilators. The medical community may be slow, but we aren’t that slow.

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
This virus is evil..

I have taken some time away from this thread and coronavirus headlines in general the past few days to try and detox a bit. But life pulls me back in...

After 10 days of being COVID-19 presumptive (since they’re only testing healthcare workers, their families and those who are very sick), with primarily extreme fatigue, cough and body aches (varying between no fever and low grade), my BIL’s temp jumped to 103 yesterday and he struggled to breathe. He is now in the hospital and has been confirmed positive (they just got in the rapid tests - ironically, I read a story about it on our local paper’s website yesterday). He’s on oxygen but not a ventilator...

He is 44, with a 6-year old son. No pre-existing conditions. On Sunday he was feeling a little better. I think until yesterday, my sister was in denial because he didn’t have a fever most of the last 10 days. Yet here we are. This is terrifying.
That is very scary. I'm very sorry your brother-in-law is ill. I hope he recovers quickly and can get home to his family soon. How are you holding up?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good for the lucky few. They won't have to live off the stimulus checks and unemployment.
I would assume most of the office workers who can work from home are working from home right now. Come 4/18 some of those people may be furloughed as well but you still need HR people to work through all the issues there and accountants to pay the bills and close the books and of course the IT people to make sure their computers all work from home.

Lilofan

I would assume most of the office workers who can work from home are working from home right now. Come 4/18 some of those people may be furloughed as well but you still need HR people to work through all the issues there and accountants to pay the bills and close the books and of course the IT people to make sure their computers all work from home.
IT which should be no surprise is probably outsourced to India and or another third world country. A number of companies in the USA use this route. It is cheaper to outsource than pay USA labor rates and not needing to cover medical insurance costs for third party vendors.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
IT which should be no surprise is probably outsourced to India and or another third world country. A number of companies in the USA use this route. It is cheaper to outsource than pay USA labor rates and not needing to cover medical insurance costs for third party vendors.
It depends on the company. I work for a Fortune 500 company and we do have some IT functions off shore. The teams that support financial systems and payroll are still in the US.

NedLand

I’m grateful that there are people who are still working. Every person that is still employed is something to be happy about. It helps the economy.
The people going out there and working are doing so at significant risk to themselves and their families. When this is over it will be difficult to tell them they are not worth better wages in the economy that they helped to save.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't see how temperature checks would do much of anything. People without symptoms can still spread it and people will take medication to bring their temp down so as to not interfere with their vacation.
It’s an attempt to make people feel safe. Similar to bag checks for security. The only way to know for sure people aren’t infected would be a swab test and that’s not a practical solution.

celluloid

I don't see how temperature checks would do much of anything. People without symptoms can still spread it and people will take medication to bring their temp down so as to not interfere with their vacation.

And a family with a teething baby would be turned away due to high reading.

It's pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom