News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

KevinPage

As a local with a Silver AP I’m somewhat dreading the idea of trying to get on this ride with the current system. If I get there early I want to know I’ll be on the ride within 1-2 hours, which was ALWAYS the case during the first 2 weeks.

There is no truly “perfect system” but I think if they blended the current system WITH the old system, that improves it across the board and addresses complaints on both sides of the aisle

1. you have a strict park opening time
2. you let people into the park early at a SET time each day (ie - 30 minutes)
3. Boarding groups are available as soon as you get scanned into the park and this is a benefit to everyone because:

- those who get there early get the benefit of the early boarding group and not getting stuck with one late on the day based on a “Lottery”

- those who complained about not knowing when to get to the park, you now know when the boarding groups start and when rides actually open. If you don’t want to get there super early, that’s your choice and you make the decision on risking not getting a group or it being late in the day.

The only issue is if Disney doesn’t want to hold so many peole at the gates causing a crush of people. But I fundamentally believe that if you get to the park 2 hours before someone else, you should have an advantage when it comes to a boarding group.

In summation, boy am I glad I went during the opening weeks and took advantage of multiple rides and “early bird gets the worm“ scenarios 🤩

DarkMetroid567

Hagrids is down much more often and they’ve been open since the summer, this is nothing compared to that.

VQ didn’t fail today, if anything it saved thousands of people hours and hours of standing in a line all day.

Down much more often, but usually, arriving at Islands of Adventure at noon means you can ride it. Can’t really say the same for Rise.

I had done Hagrid’s 7 times in 3 visits by September, and the only reason I’ve done Rise more is because I literally worked at it. As a guest, I’ve only done Rise once. As awful as the operating hours and downtimes for Hagrid’s have been, it’s been a far more easier and accessible experience.

TrainsOfDisney

My mother’s determination to get to Starbucks as quickly as possible kept us ahead of the 7 am crowd. 😂

There were definitely more people there in a shorter period of time once they started adjusting the park hours. We were in Group 8 and then Group 6 to give you context on how close we really were to the front. But I still have never seen my mama move so fast for coffee. 🤣 I think she would have been satisfied with one ROTR ride around while I wanted seconds. I guess she loves me 😁

I am sorry for your experience though. That does sound scary.

Hey the only reason I wasn’t right there with your mom at Starbucks is cause I wanted to go back to pop century and sleep after getting my number! (Which I did!)

Twirlnhurl

One thing I will say is that I do, for the most part, believe that Virtual Queue is inherently anti-guest.

It’s easy for cast members and Disney bloggers to insist that the system works well because we have great knowledge of it, but finding that knowledge if you’re not in-the-know isn’t as easy to some older folks or foreigners. You won’t see any warnings on it when planning your vacation through Disney; you basically either find out about in on twitter beforehand, or find out when you arrive in Orlando. In fact, I was trying to help a guest join a boarding group through My Disney Experience on her web browser. Turns out, it doesn’t work at all. Pressing on Rise doesn’t even mention the virtual queue. You have to use the app, but how many middle-aged fathers are going to be checking their Disney World app beforehand? Japanese guests have to go to guest relations because their version of My Disney Experience won’t allow them to join a boarding group, either.

Standing at the Rise entrance and holding the sign, we often knew that when a foreigner was coming up, they’d be turned away. I don’t actually believe there are any resources available concerning boarding groups in a language other than English. Thus, you’ll see a lot of the Latino guests throwing fits at the guest relations cast members nearby.

I honestly believe that Disney has not said much about the system on purpose. By limiting access and overall knowledge, they ensure that capacity isn’t reached as quickly. Lately, as word has travelled further and further around, we’ve seen boarding groups fill faster and faster. TDO screwed up and opened the ride when it wasn’t ready, and with that in mind, virtual queue has worked well. But with more and more guests becoming knowledgeable, at what point does virtual queue become unsustainable?
Having visited parks in non-English speaking parts of the world, I completely agree that boarding groups is would be a completely opaque process to a non-English speaker. Due to the lack of multi-language support, it is probably more incomprehensible than any fastpass system (and they are awfully opaque to those who don't follow theme parks.)

On the other hand, I really have no idea how the process could be improved upon until the rides reliability stabilizes (Other than having greater access to literature explaining the process in other languages).

When Indy opened in DL, I understand that the line often went all the way to Main Street. How long was that line? Does anyone remember how that worked?

disneygeek90

Down much more often, but usually, arriving at Islands of Adventure at noon means you can ride it. Can’t really say the same for Rise.

I had done Hagrid’s 7 times in 3 visits by September, and the only reason I’ve done Rise more is because I literally worked at it. As a guest, I’ve only done Rise once. As awful as the operating hours and downtimes for Hagrid’s have been, it’s been a far more easier and accessible experience.
Hagrids was down from 10-6 on Wednesday. Within an hour of it reopening, it was a 210 min wait. There’s no way that that’s better for the guest than VQ.

disneygeek90

As a local with a Silver AP I’m somewhat dreading the idea of trying to get on this ride with the current system. If I get there early I want to know I’ll be on the ride within 1-2 hours, which was ALWAYS the case during the first 2 weeks.

There is no truly “perfect system” but I think if they blended the current system WITH the old system, that improves it across the board and addresses complaints on both sides of the aisle

3. Boarding groups are available as soon as you get scanned into the park and this is a benefit to everyone because:

- those who get there early get the benefit of the early boarding group and not getting stuck with one late on the day based on a “Lottery”

- those who complained about not knowing when to get to the park, you now know when the boarding groups start and when rides actually open. If you don’t want to get there super early, that’s your choice and you make the decision on risking not getting a group or it being late in the day.

The only issue is if Disney doesn’t want to hold so many peole at the gates causing a crush of people. But I fundamentally believe that if you get to the park 2 hours before someone else, you should have an advantage when it comes to a boarding group.

In summation, boy am I glad I went during the opening weeks and took advantage of multiple rides and “early bird gets the worm“ scenarios 🤩
Are you still gonna go tomorrow? I’m still ready for Sunday, I think. Worst case I go back home with a high BG, take a nap, and go back later if/when called.

Like you said, I definitely don’t feel as confident about securing a low group as I did a few weeks ago.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
What’s all this about Disney keeping secrets that boarding groups are a thing? How to work boarding groups has literally been the first thing you see when you open the app since the ride opened, I would be shocked if the app was not available in other languages.
16944FA2-9F92-44D4-8040-67DB22AC654E.png

And if you could show up at noon and ride Hagrid, that means there was capacity for the guests that wanted to ride. The speed of boarding groups going is a pretty good indicator in my opinion that demand exceeds capacity right now for this ride. They can’t reasonably allow people to queue up at the end of the day like at FoP or else the ride would practically never shut down for the night right now. Having standby would just PO a ton of people each time the ride shut down and the queue was cleared or (like today) massive amounts of people couldn’t ride. I know some people are frustrated that this impacts their plans for FPs and such at other parks, but if it was standby, those same people would be waiting in line all day and not have an opportunity to do any rides at other parks anyway.

DarkMetroid567

What’s all this about Disney keeping secrets that boarding groups are a thing? How to work boarding groups has literally been the first thing you see when you open the app since the ride opened, I would be shocked if the app was not available in other languages.
View attachment 439041
And if you could show up at noon and ride Hagrid, that means there was capacity for the guests that wanted to ride. The speed of boarding groups going is a pretty good indicator in my opinion that demand exceeds capacity right now for this ride. They can’t reasonably allow people to queue up at the end of the day like at FoP or else the ride would practically never shut down for the night right now. Having standby would just PO a ton of people each time the ride shut down and the queue was cleared or (like today) massive amounts of people couldn’t ride. I know some people are frustrated that this impacts their plans for FPs and such at other parks, but if it was standby, those same people would be waiting in line all day and not have an opportunity to do any rides at other parks anyway.

Read my whole post. Not everyone uses the app months before their vacation. You cannot find this information using the website. Not only that, I know that some Asian versions of the app do not have capability to join a boarding group. I know this because I worked virtual queue.

I agree with the usage of virtual queue regarding capacity. My only opinion is that Disney screwed up and opened the ride early.

SoFloMagic

One thing I will say is that I do, for the most part, believe that Virtual Queue is inherently anti-guest.
I think we'd all agree that boarding groups are less anti-guest than 10 hour queues. At least you get to enjoy the rest of the park too,
For all of you still talking on the BGs, think about waiting in a 10 hour queue for 8 hours before they dump the line and say "too bad, try again tomorrow".

SoFloMagic

Only problem is if they go back to a set opening time of 7am and 10K people get there at 5. Which is what happened and what led to this system.
I vote we all wait three days till the holiday crowds leave and see what happens.

KevinPage

Are you still gonna go tomorrow? I’m still ready for Sunday, I think. Worst case I go back home with a high BG, take a nap, and go back later if/when called.

Like you said, I definitely don’t feel as confident about securing a low group as I did a few weeks ago.

Nah, the crush of too many humans is keeping me away. Plan is for next Saturday (11th). Yeah that’s marathon weekend but it always felt much more manageable compared to these past 2 weeks of insanity.

(note - I live 40 minutes away so more of a time commitment to go through the hassle of driving home and then back in the same day)

Plus everyone is up early to “run” so they can’t stand in line for a boarding group. Hoping that helps mitigate a smidgeon of people.

I’m still trying to wrap my head around bringing a toddler with me this early with no guarantee of an early boarding group. No way I can say, “ok we ride in 8 hours” 😢

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

So you preferred first come first served after all? I’m so confused what your position is other than disallowing a line to form early.

The only way people will not line up is if there is no advantage to lineup. It’s either a lottery or a line. I always preferred the line
Alright I’ll try to clarify my current stance on this:

- I believe first come, first serve is fair. This means that whatever time they start letting people into the park should also be when the boarding groups begin being issued.
- They should have a hard-defined time for when guests will be admitted into the park. For instance, set a standard, like 30 minutes prior to official park open and no earlier. What they have been doing is arbitrarily opening the park at random times.
- I strongly feel that they have shot themselves in the foot by allowing guests to park and line up the gates way earlier than necessary. This, combined with the arbitrary times when guests are allowed to enter the park, has pushed people to arrive earlier and earlier when it was completely unnecessary and all they had to do was prevent people from being able to do it. Preventing people would require a few extra staffed security positions. Instead they are staffing an entire theme park three hours earlier than normal.

BrianLo

Alright I’ll try to clarify my current stance on this:

- I believe first come, first serve is fair. This means that whatever time they start letting people into the park should also be when the boarding groups begin being issued.
- They should have a hard-defined time for when guests will be admitted into the park. For instance, set a standard, like 30 minutes prior to official park open and no earlier. What they have been doing is arbitrarily opening the park at random times.
- I strongly feel that they have shot themselves in the foot by allowing guests to park and line up the gates way earlier than necessary. This, combined with the arbitrary times when guests are allowed to enter the park, has pushed people to arrive earlier and earlier when it was completely unnecessary and all they had to do was prevent people from being able to do it. Preventing people would require a few extra staffed security positions. Instead they are staffing an entire theme park three hours earlier than normal.

Fair. Neither point B or C causes the boarding groups to "sell out" faster though. All it does is cause one to have to arrive earlier to get a 'better' boarding group position. But the people motivated enough to be the first person, first thousand etc. will still show up in roughly the same order, regardless of Disney barring them at the door until a pre-ordained time. The problem is if Disney bars them long enough, you hit the threshold when the first 5 thousand people are willing to arrive and now you have less of a gradient of motivation. Instead more luck of the draw about who in that group of 5 thousand squeezed through the bottle neck (the parking toll gates in your example) first. Now you are mixing lottery and first come first served.

It wasn't Disney's practices that caused people to arrive earlier and earlier, it was other people setting further and further benchmarks about commitment to what it took to be 'ahead of the pack'. Disney opening the gates early was just being elastic to that problem.

Holding back the pack breaks, partially, the spirit of first come first served. It sort of sounds like you actually prefer a bit of a hybrid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom