News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

donsullivan

Premium Member
I would hope its removed, but I don't really have a problem with them trying it. They need to do T&A to figure out what works and what doesn't work, and temporary things like a switchback may happen.
I agree test and adjust is necessary but not having that wide view when you step off the transport would really detract from the experience. It is a really breathtaking experience that will be seriously impacted if a huge throng of people are clogging up the room. Needing that just means they are filling the attraction too quickly for its capacity unnecessarily and compromising the experience.

donsullivan

Premium Member
It was so cool on our first ride! The door opened and there is a TO officer waiting to give us instructions. Behind him was the wall of storm troopers in a massive hangar. No other "prisoners".
Exactly. They spent so much money to create that epic reveal I’d hate to see it squandered by stuffing the interior queue instead of adjusting the pace through the briefing rooms to balance the lines. I sure hope that was an anomoly

disneygeek90

I would hope its removed, but I don't really have a problem with them trying it. They need to do T&A to figure out what works and what doesn't work, and temporary things like a switchback may happen.
This is actually a huge deal, imo. Probably the most sensitive effect of the whole experience. The switchback in there absolutely can't happen. I understand if a delay just occurred but standard operating procedure? No way.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A separate instance of AWS (or Google Cloud or Azure) would keep the boarding groups confined to one database, and you would only need the single button on MDE to point to that instance. That is the setup they currently have. You can't see the groups anywhere else in the app. Its trivial to route a button on an app to another site/DB. I would have done it separately because you can set the resources to peak in the periods around park open and then dial it back for the rest of the day, and not have to worry about potentially compromising the rest of the system due to the peak load.

There are only 4 points of data passed between MDE proper and the boarding groups:

1) Do you have a valid scanned in ticket?
2) Are you in the park?
3) Who is in your party?
4) Are you already in a boarding group?

3 of the 4 only have to be checked a single time - when you are put in a group - and only have to be passed one way. For a SQL query, thats actually a super simple check and very little data. I'd actually be shocked if the groups aren't a separate DB, because once they stop the groups here, they can reuse them for another ride in the future if its standalone.

Since the groups go in order, the BG DB itself would be simple - each group is 100 or whatever, and it contains the Magic Band RFID# and the number you scanned in numerically. Much, much less complicated than the FastPass database is since people can go in and out of those and change times all over the place.

The data storage is simple yes... the flow to check (which you glossed over) is not. The data store is not the hard part here... It's the transnational nature combined with the ties to the rest of the infrastructure. Notice you glossed over the exclusive locks your simple table would need to make those changes and the fact 3 out of 4 of those simple checks you mentioned all exist outside of your simple aws instance.. but instead require cross checks and authentication to the rest of the ecosystem. The problem is not the complexity of the transaction - it's the concurrency and risk for blocking that requires moving beyond simple table queries and inserts.

The data is simple.. the number of systems above it is not.

jt04

I think next couple months Rise will only get worse as the rise of the Brazilian and South American tour groups happen with their summer vacation.

they are extremely organized so will make sure to get a lot of ROTR boarding Passes for their groups.

Hoping they can offer some after/before hours events by spring. And under 150 dollars.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looks like no significant downtime at all today.

1576709186139.png

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
This is actually a huge deal, imo. Probably the most sensitive effect of the whole experience. The switchback in there absolutely can't happen. I understand if a delay just occurred but standard operating procedure? No way.
No switchback today. I also was first off, and all I could see was shiny floors, and a WALL of storm troopers. Incredible!

disneygeek90

In line at 5:30 off ride at 6:35.
Kylo with saber seemed to be in “b mode”? Instead of his walk toward you it was more like a stagnant jump into his spot. For a second I thought he wasn’t coming at all so it was good to see they have an option if the moving Kylo effect isn’t working. Was cool to see and really wouldn’t take away from anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom