Magic Kingdom...not so magical.

tampabrad

Original Poster
Spent the day (Monday 12/9) at the Magic Kingdom and I have to say, it was rather underwhelming.

We parked at TTC about noon and planned on heading to the entrance to take the boat to WL for lunch at Whispering Canyon. Construction was a nightmare, I can't imagine the chaos at park opening.

Was a beautiful day so the boat to the lodge was wonderful as was lunch. Great service and food. The lodge is just amazing at the holidays.

Once back at the park, not so much. Had a FP for Buzz. The posted stand by wait time was 50 min, the line for FP was about 15 min before we scanned our bands and then another 30 min once inside. Same thing happened with our FP for Jungle (Jingle) Cruise. FP at the MK seems like a failed attempt. Have AP and FP seems much better and controlled at the other 3 parks. Did stand by for Big Thunder with a posted wait time of 50 min and were on in 30 min, again the FP queue was lined up beyond the entrance.

Did mobile order for Dole whip and was so convenient, don't know why more people weren't using the service, but better off for me.

The "service dog" thing is completely out of hand. This is becoming common everywhere, not just WDW. There were 2 dogs at lunch that were obviously not trained. They were eating scraps off the table. We saw another dog on the boat shaking so hard, I thought it was going to have a heart attack. Also about 5 in the park that looked so lost, confused and overwhelmed in the crowds. I love my dog and would never put him through the torture of bringing him to a theme park. I consider it abuse. However we did see one that was obviously a trained working service animal. The difference is night and day.

With the FP and Play apps, it is just sad to see so many people wandering with their faces in their phones, not to mention stopping in the middle of a crowded walkway or just walking into me and others. Phones are the new scooters and strollers causing accidents.

The park itself seems so outdated, worn and dirty. I understand budgets but I also know profits. Still don't understand why "Under the Sea" is an omni mover and not trackless. Many of the "face" characters don't even look or act like their counterpart. So many CMs just look unhappy. Even with half of EPCOT under construction, it has been a better experience. With the new Skyliner, the rest of WDW seems to be fresh and evolving while leaving the MK behind.

The place is really showing that it is 50 years old and a new and improved entrance experience isn't going to help.

tampabrad

Original Poster
Good to know that you’re there as a trained medical professional to spot the difference ;)
Never said I was, but I do know that a true trained service dog does not eat scraps from a table while working. I know they are not supposed to have their paws on the table begging and whining for food. I also know that a true service dog is able to guide its handler around with out shaking. I did say we ran into a true service dog and the difference was night and day.

Nottamus

MK is my wife’s and mine least favorite park of the 4.

We try not to visit in the fall because of Xmas parties, but we were there last week, and it wasn’t too bad.

still, number 4

tampabrad

Original Poster
Sure. Because only a troll would have a less than stellar day in the Magic Kingdom.

Yes, I'm a troll because I made the effort to secure a FP and don't think it is acceptable to have a 15-20 min wait in a queue before I scan my band to wait in another 20-30 min queue. If you think that is ok, fine with me

Sorry but it is not very fun to see frightened pets that people are passing off as service animals. To bring a dog that is not used to crowds to a place with 60,000 people, flashing lights, strollers and scooters everywhere is to me, abusive. True service animals are trained to handle this type of environment, not sit and shake in a corner.

Genie_naughty_whispers

Yes, I'm a troll because I made the effort to secure a FP and don't think it is acceptable to have a 15-20 min wait in a queue before I scan my band to wait in another 20-30 min queue.

Surely you must know that the math doesn’t work when it comes to FP. It’s a psychological manipulation by Disney to get people to believe they are getting on 3-4 rides faster.

massiv

Sorry but it is not very fun to see frightened pets that people are passing off as service animals. To bring a dog that is not used to crowds to a place with 60,000 people, flashing lights, strollers and scooters everywhere is to me, abusive. True service animals are trained to handle this type of environment, not sit and shake in a corner.
Slightly related but I saw a service dog at HHN once. I'm not sure if it was a real trained one or not but I felt bad for that dog.

tampabrad

Original Poster
Surely you must know that the math doesn’t work when it comes to FP. It’s a psychological manipulation by Disney to get people to believe they are getting on 3-4 rides faster.

I know how FP works. I was a CM when FP began and an AP for most of the past 20 years. FP doesn't change the capacity of an attraction, it only creates 2 queues. The point I am trying to make is the FP queue was not much faster than the stand by queue.

We never seem to have this issue at the other 3 parks.

Goofyernmost

I know how FP works. I was a CM when FP began and an AP for most of the past 20 years. FP doesn't change the capacity of an attraction, it only creates 2 queues. The point I am trying to make is the FP queue was not much faster than the stand by queue.

We never seem to have this issue at the other 3 parks.
The other three parks do not have the attendance that MK does, but, it is still the idea that FP is a smoke and mirrors item there to trick everyone into thinking they will see more if they have a FP. Because FP actually does exist, it is required to get in on those 20 or 30 minute marks. Without it it is an hour or more. I might add that if there was no FP at all you would still be getting on in 20 or 30 minutes, at most at the attractions.

I must be blind because I was there in September, just about three months ago and I don't recall any lack luster places or excessively dirty or things that just looked aged. You guys must have a lot keener observation ability then I do.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Slightly related but I saw a service dog at HHN once. I'm not sure if it was a real trained one or not but I felt bad for that dog.
Very few “service dogs” you see are actual service dogs that meet the ADA requirements. Most are considered “comfort animals” that require no special training and you can get approval for one from nearly any “medical” person including an acupuncturist. It is being as broadly abused as the scam of “medical marijuana” was for years.

Businesses are between a rock and a hard place to turn them away and so people take advantage of the situation. Pure societal narcissism.

Moka

It really is a shame the conditions MK is going through. Considering it has some of my favorite attractions (SpaceM, SplashM, Philharmagic, etc.) it is the biggest drag whether it be getting in, leaving, the park. And like mentioned, yeah the age is definitely noticeable with a lot of things needing upgrades. Stitch still just sitting there???

Anyways, just some of the reasons I’ve really favored all the other 3 parks more as of recent.

Victor Kelly

FP is a joke. The FP line is longer than standby. It needs to go away.

Hearing that MK has issues is nothing new. Cut this, cut that, do more with less. Poor morale is a blight for any place, but it shows more in Disney. It is a cycle, and things will improve. As long as the mouse does not pay out 90 billion for another media company.

The 2015 trip was spent more in Epcot than any other park. And MK is my favorite, and to not be there a lot was very telling.

lightningtap347

Yes, I'm a troll because I made the effort to secure a FP and don't think it is acceptable to have a 15-20 min wait in a queue before I scan my band to wait in another 20-30 min queue. If you think that is ok, fine with me

Was the ride potentially down at any point in time you were in the queue do you believe?

I can't imagine that happening inside with an omnimover unless the ride was down or the merge CM was asleep.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom