Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Bender123

I mean imagine your job was designing TRON, you cut the number of trains down from 8 to 5, saving the company $1M. Does your bonus increase? Of course not.

Especially due to expenditures that would be applied to capital expenditures...$1 million in capital expense is under .0001% of the current years outlays that will be going on the books as multiple hotels, the skyliner, two star wars lands and various other projects get transferred into the active side of the ledger.

Rob562

Wasn’t the monorail manager who gave the all-clear to that monorail driver “trained” as well? We haven’t heard the details on the Skyliner incident yet but I fear it’s still going to be operator error related.

Assuming you're talking about the 2009 crash, the manager went by the book in the instructions given to the drivers of both monorails. The problem was that "the book" never foresaw the exact sequence of events that transpired.

-Rob

KBLovedDisney

There is no "i" in team, but there is an "e" in ignore.
Also Iger.
source.gif

Incomudro

So I’m surprised no one called out Mickey Views Brayden for declaring in his infinite wisdom that Skyliner wouldn’t reopen without emergency AC added to every cabin?

The Disney blogger insanity about this issue has been....insightful.

Watching Braydon's most recent video on this subject - he's quite correct on many issues.
I see no insanity.

Incomudro

He gets things wrong all the time but he is very enthusiastic.

I agree with him on the premise that Doppelmeyr gondola's though in use worldwide are new in this application.
This volume of ridership, this type of rider, the expectations of Disney riders many of whom will be booked in hotels touted as being served by this transportation system.
One of which - Riviera - is a high end resort. People with money, spending money and expecting a level of convenience and comfort relative to that expenditure.
As I have often stated - I really like the Skyliner.
But I have always questioned its ability to serve Disney's very varied level of guest mobility and awareness without a hitch, as well as its ability to do so in the Florida climate.
It's all well and good when it's humming along.

NormC

Doppelmayr has installed nearly 15,000 systems in 95 countries. Many of which are used for municipal transportation. 10 lines alone in Bolivia, four in Columbia, Mexico, Venezuela. These are in cities where there are wheelchairs, strollers and scooters and even bicycle racks on the outside occasionally. Disney's volume is low compared to some systems.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Doppelmayr has installed nearly 15,000 systems in 95 countries. Many of which are used for municipal transportation. Eight lines alone in Bolivia, four in Columbia, Mexico, Venezuela. These are in cities where there are wheelchairs, strollers and scooters and even bicycle racks on the outside occasionally.
If it’s good enough for Venezuela, then it’s good enough for WDW!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Doppelmayr has installed nearly 15,000 systems in 95 countries. Many of which are used for municipal transportation. 10 lines alone in Bolivia, four in Columbia, Mexico, Venezuela. These are in cities where there are wheelchairs, strollers and scooters and even bicycle racks on the outside occasionally. Disney's volume is low compared to some systems.
I expect to see one in DC, running from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial.

Incomudro

They 'aint Disneyworld.
They're not Americans
They're not Disneyworld customers.
They're not people paying thousands of dollars on their busy vacation possibly a once in many years - or even lifetime vacation.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Watching Braydon's most recent video on this subject - he's quite correct on many issues.
I see no insanity.

But he hasn't always been. There are obviously fans of his who feed him some knowledge as much as they know. And so he gets some scoops. But we all know how reliable front line CMs are, and he at times parrots bad info.

He touted special info about SWL... but almost all of it was already revealed here by our insiders. The one thing that was unique to his source was that there were going to be shoulder- adopt-a-porgs. Which never came to be.

He also gets into wild guess territory, which, anyone with more complete knowledge of WDW wouldn't be guessing, e.g., a new World Showcase parade. That kind of thing is the vlogger version of clickbait.

If he participated more here and was more wary of other sources, he'd be much better at vetting the info he receives. But, he decided to storm off. Compare that to Jack of DSNY Newscast who started off like Brayden, but learned from here what sources can and can't be trusted. Jack doesn't try to break inside information like Brayden does, but he does do a slick job of graphically presenting good intel with appropriate sourcing.

halltd

He's... not the brightest. Honestly seems like nice enough kid but his ego is a bit out of check. Add to that he's just wrong on so much. He was SO SURE the A/C would be added. He also seems unaware that moving loading platforms aren't really something that exists on gondolas with any commonality, let alone the fact Disney spent a pretty penny to add the ADA loading spurs (everywhere but Riviera for some reason).
Yet I'm sure there are still a LOT of people on here and other websites that watch his channel, so he probably makes more money than most people on this board. So, at least the ego of these bloggers makes some sort of sense.

wdwfan22

I see no insanity.
He is wrong more than he is right. Problem is he presents everything as fact when it's speculation. He stated there was no problem with the gondolas being warm even when stopped. Then went on after the incident stating they shouldn't reopen until they have a cooling system or fan on board. Now he is saying moving walkways would solve the problem. He is trying to hard to break news instead of just reporting it. It's like another website we all know lol. I don't believe he has sources at all. He is just taking what people and front line cast members feed him and then presents it.

Incomudro

He is wrong more than he is right. Problem is he presents everything as fact when it's speculation. He stated there was no problem with the gondolas being warm even when stopped. Then went on after the incident stating they shouldn't reopen until they have a cooling system or fan on board. Now he is saying moving walkways would solve the problem. He is trying to hard to break news instead of just reporting it. It's like another website we all know lol. I don't believe he has sources at all. He is just taking what people and front line cast members feed him and then presents it.

LOL I don't consider him some insider journalist. Not that journalists seem to have any integrity anymore anyway.
I consider him to be a young guy with a youtube channel, and I've only watched some of his videos.
He was originally skeptical about the Skyliners ability to keep guests comfortable, but was excited when he rode the line (as were many people) and was happy to report that the cabins seemed comfortable.
He got caught up in the excitement that everything was great.
Then the shutdown happened the other week - and he is now back to questing aspects of it as are many people.
Quite a natural process.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom