Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Millionaire2K

So after not posting for years on here, I came back for this thread. I regret my decision. I have learned that well over 50% of posters on here are nuts. Now if only there was a block user option so I don't have to skim past tons of self entitled, self proclaimed "expert" post about what they "know" Disney is doing wrong. See you again never.

Edit: OMG I found the "ignor" button, I love you.

PS, Can't wait to ride in less than 2 week.

VaderTron

Maybe Walt's intentions were honorable, it's kind of late to ask him now, but the happening we are citing was in 1974, a full eight years after Walt died. Even if that group had nothing but the best of intentions, to put peoples life in danger so they could all experience an enjoyable time one has to ask how death is classified as the enjoy the experience intent.
One would expect (or at least hope) they didn't realize the significant danger they were risking in bypassing the safety precaution for the improved guest experience. In other words, bad results from good (while misguided) intentions.

Timmay

It must be true love because I havenā€™t yet found my ā€œignorā€ button yet.
Itā€™s between the ā€œslightly annoyingā€ button
and the
C835D44B-0D6A-4078-9923-5FF8E6C69EFA.gif
button.

allgiggles

I know it never will, but it should probably also include something along the lines of "the system may pause for several minutes during your ride." I'm sure there are plenty of people with various phobias that think they can probably handle a 3-5 minute ride on Skyliner but never consider the fact that the system could stop during their travels and they could be hanging in place for 10-15 minutes...or more.
People may be freaking out that it stops at all?

View attachment 418245

Wow. They read my mind...or my post. :D

VaderTron

They are a business...they care for you as far as your money holds out.
Not specifically trying to point a finger at you as this is a comment that has been repeated more than "It's a Small World After All", but...

I do get a bit tired of the defense that poor customer treatment is acceptable business practice. Just because it's common business practice doesn't mean it's good business practice. The fact that Disney claims to provide world-class customer service makes it more infuriating.

Yert3

Similar to ski lift systems, Disney Skyliner may slow or come to some stops during the ride
I was eaten alive on here for criticizing all the stops on an advertised ā€œnever stopping systemā€ (Disneyā€™s own words) during the cast member previews and was told they ā€œwere just testing. chill out. It wonā€™t stop when it opens to the public.ā€ Well, it looks like Disney is backtracking on the whole ā€œnever stoppingā€ thing.

RSoxNo1

The "system updates" after re-opening has me really bothered. I went back and forth with @Rteetz about this on Twitter, but personally I would absolutely wait until after these are complete before riding this.

System updates is vague and unless it's something about queue management and 100% unrelated to the issues on October 5th I see no reason to open for two days and then follow it up with 3 days of limited operations. The most logical "system updates" would be the communication system to and from the cabins which was a contributing factor to guest discomfort and safety.

Whether it's true or not, there is some speculation that the longer delay was the result of a guest calling 9-1-1. I sincerely hope there are no issues the next few days (or ever), but if they are running these for 2-5 days with anything less than their best food forward, shame on them.

RSoxNo1

As it turns out, there has actually been one person to die on the WDW IASW
View attachment 418247
My wife rode Mission Space once, and never again.
When that screen moved in just inches from her face, coupled with the being locked in the ride compartment for the duration - she was nervous.
People like her have a difficult time getting the "what if's" out of their head.
It matters little to them how many thousands of others come and go before them without a hitch.
I think Mission Space is cool - but I still only ri it because my son's want me to.
I really don't care for the borderline nausea.
That's a completely different issue than someone with a pre-existing heart condition passing away on the attraction. The attraction causes her anxiety, for different reasons, Lights Motors Action caused anxiety for my father - those types of things aren't in question here.

I'm not advocating guests never ride the Skyliner again, I just know that I would absolutely wait until after the service updates are done on 10/18 before riding myself. I would operate the same way with Mission: SPACE if they opened the ride during the investigation on any of the deaths.

The most "unsafe" I've felt on a Disney attraction was Test Track a few years ago. It kept "hard breaking" and they didn't shut the ride down citing, "we need management approval". I'm sure several guests went to guest relations that day with whiplash and/or neck/back issues. I have since been on Test Track dozens of times, but I certainly made it a point to anyone that would listen that day that the ride should not be operating because it's unsafe to guests.

Goofyernmost

One would expect (or at least hope) they didn't realize the significant danger they were risking in bypassing the safety precaution for the improved guest experience. In other words, bad results from good (while misguided) intentions.
If they were warned, and it appears that they were, then bypassing that warning is putting people at risk and no matter what the intention, it is a very stupid thing to do. But, no one ever said that one has to be smart to be a manager.

Jimbotron

No, that is not a stead fast conclusion from the statement. They only said "weā€™ve made adjustments to our processes and training"

It doesn't say someone made an operator mistake... nor does it even acknowledge if system changes were needed or not. Their statement could equally apply if operators all did what they were supposed to.. but their processes didn't prevent the issue.

It's intentionally vague... and your conclusion shows exactly why.
Would any business release a statement after an incident that could be used against them in litigation? I can only imagine how many lawyers reviewed their press release before it was issued.

Patcheslee

ā€œWeā€™vemade adjustments to our processes and training, and we are improving how we communicate with guests during their flight with Disney Skylinerā€ sure screams operator error to me.
It could be as simple as if action "A" happens a CM is now to do "B2" instead of "B1". Any change of a process would require additional training. If a CM is trained with a process that has errors in it, it's process/training error not CM IMO.
As a theoretical example : power was lost to a station. Old recovery process was a restart of the system with checks 1,2,3 before continuing operations. Now recovery process has additional checks to account for what caused issues in the old recovery.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom