Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

TrojanUSC

Surely they are using a duplex systems where the cast member could speak reassuringly to everyone at once, overriding outgoing comms from the cars for long enough to briefly check in a few times an hour: There was a problem in one of the stations, it doesn't affect your gondola's safety. If anyone is having a true emergency, call 911 and/or reply to us. We'll check back in 20 minutes and until then, please keep the comms boxes free.

What prevented this kind of information from going out to everyone periodically??

On all attractions there's usually a pre-scripted breakdown spiel. For whatever reason, Disney likes to keep it as vague as possible - probably because they assume most people won't understand the details. However from the tweets it seems the only thing people heard was the pre-recorded announcement, which is odd. SOP for most attractions is there must also be a live spiel from a CM to assure the guests they are safe. However, what's not included in these scripts is any details regarding the downtimes, expected duration, etc. They should probably rethink this on the gondola given the panic attacks people have. The more you can tell them about how they aren't in danger but it could take some time, the better.

For some reason you never understand what I write. I was asking what would have happened to the panic attack guest had RCFD not evacuated them and just let the ride team get the whole system moving again? Not close every attraction because people might have attacks on them. I’m not actually sure how you even got that from my post.

My putting people at risk comment was referring to all the people in the cabins that were put at risk because of the single guest with the issue.

Most panic attacks subside after 20-30 minutes, so likely nothing. However if the symptoms describe mimic those of a more serious condition, there's likely no way RCID could ignore it.

While I completely understand the heat issue people are concerned about, many of these people complaining about being stranded stories off the ground have no problems riding in elevators, which pose many of the same risks. It's just I guess they can see out of the gondolas? Many people were stranded in elevators for upwards of 2 hours in NYC a few months ago when mid-town had a power outage. Same could easily happen at WDW.

Last edited:

joelkfla

On all attractions there's usually a pre-scripted breakdown spiel. For whatever reason, Disney likes to keep it as vague as possible - probably because they assume most people won't understand the details. However from the tweets it seems the only thing people heard was the pre-recorded announcement, which is odd. SOP for most attractions is there must also be a live spiel from a CM to assure the guests they are safe. However, what's not included in these scripts is any details regarding the downtimes, expected duration, etc. They should probably rethink this on the gondola given the panic attacks people have. The more you can tell them about how they aren't in danger but it could take some time, the better.

Most panic attacks subside after 20-30 minutes, so likely nothing. However if the symptoms describe mimic those of a more serious condition, there's likely no way RCID could ignore it.

While I completely understand the heat issue people are concerned about, many of these people complaining about being stranded stories off the ground have no problems riding in elevators, which pose many of the same risks. It's just I guess they can see out of the gondolas? Many people were stranded in elevators for upwards of 2 hours in NYC a few months ago when mid-town had a power outage. Same could easily happen at WDW.
Skyliner is under Transportation, not Attractions. Attractions policies & procedures do not apply.

Captain Chaos

What is wrong with you? Do you not know how to read? I've already said how the temperature was gauged and yet you ask questions you already know can't be answered. Stop wasting your time showing off.

Until someone runs rigorous tests, we don't know all the parameters. We do know that there are people who are saying "how hot it gets" when the gondolas stop. And then others take that account and repeat that claim framing it as the temperature shooting up to the level of life and death heat exhaustion.

Since the first vloggers started vlogging, it's been in the mid to upper 80s with bright sunshine. The vloggers who were recording a one degree rise were doing so when those without thermometers were saying "how hot it got" when the gondolas stopped. These are concurrent measurements and just goes to show that unless someone is carrying a thermometer, their own assessment of "how hot it got" is meaningless since human perception of the senses is very relative and often works on a logarithmic feedback system.

Of course one "thinks" the temperature has just shot up when a strong breeze suddenly stops. Duh.

So, all we have for now is what we have. If you want more, go measure it yourself.
Why are you so triggered? Relax. Take a chill pill sister. You were the one claiming all will be ok based on vloggers. At least @flynnibus has facts, and makes solid points based on his knowledge. Which by the way @flynnibus thank you for sharing for those of us who aren't as knowledgable about certain things in engineering.

TP2000

This is the funniest thing ever.

The problem is Disney has to deal with many defective people and in their attempts to accommodate those people Disney has ruined a long lived highly reliable system. LOL. Anyone who has ever been to a ski resort knows this isn't the systems they use up on the hill, this is the Disney guest version. The ones on the hill are very , very , very reliable.

<Maybe the line hit it's weight limit?

This is so rare you don't even know. Disney managed an evac in the first week. Sweet.

This entire thing does seem really odd.

I'm most familiar with gondola systems very similar in size/scale to the Skyliner at Whistler Blackcomb that I've used many times over the past few decades, with also a couple trips on larger gondola cabins in Portland and Palm Springs. Do they have these types of gondolas now at ski resorts in New England? I only remember basic chair lifts at the few large hills they have there, as there aren't any actual mountains.

But at the truly big ski resorts of the West you aren't dealing with people in electric carts and with all manner of physical and mental issues, as skiers are by definition more... fit than the average Disney World tourist.

Still, you would think that they'd tested out all the various scenarios before they opened the Skyliner to tens of thousands of people per day.

At this point, I just wonder how much longer it will be closed? Until Wednesday? November? 2020?

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member

I'm most familiar with gondola systems very similar in size/scale to the Skyliner at Whistler Blackcomb that I've used many times over the past few decades, with also a couple trips on larger gondola cabins in Portland and Palm Springs. Do they have these types of gondolas now at ski resorts in New England? I only remember basic chair lifts at the few large hills they have there, as there aren't any actual mountains.

But at the truly big ski resorts of the West you aren't dealing with people in electric carts and with all manner of physical and mental issues, as skiers are by definition more... fit than the average Disney World tourist.

Still, you would think that they'd tested out all the various scenarios before they opened the Skyliner to tens of thousands of people per day.

At this point, I just wonder how much longer it will be closed? Until Wednesday? November? 2020?
Should reopen once they have completed the extra leg to River Country.

Heppenheimer

Gondolas in New England/Quebec aren't as common as in the Alps (my other point of comparison), but at least a few of the resorts up here have them. I can only speak to the places where I regularly ski, Stowe and Mont Tremblant have gondolas, and Bretton Woods is about to open their new system within a few days. Jay Peak and Cannon Mountain each have a cable car. In the coldest months of the winter, Mont Tremblant would barely be skiiable if it weren't for the shelter the gondolas provide.

as there aren't any actual mountains. Thems fightin' words! Some of the mountains up here have a similar prominence to peaks in the Rocky Mountains, but the base elevation is much lower. I challenge you to go to the top of Mt. Washington and tell me that's a hill!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
This is the funniest thing ever.

The problem is Disney has to deal with many defective people and in their attempts to accommodate those people Disney has ruined a long lived highly reliable system. LOL. Anyone who has ever been to a ski resort knows this isn't the systems they use up on the hill, this is the Disney guest version. The ones on the hill are very , very , very reliable.

<Maybe the line hit it's weight limit?

This is so rare you don't even know. Disney managed an evac in the first week. Sweet.

I'm sure there are some heat discussions going on between some big companies about all this. Anyone die of heat stroke?
The gondola is the wrong transport system for a lot of Disney guests. That won't stop those guests from trying to use it though. Which is why this system already has more stops in a week then any other of it's kind in the world.

Lilofan

According to local news WESH, Reedy Creek firefighter union voicing FD staffing issue again. Used 30 of 32 firefighters on duty for evening skyliner incident. What's the ETA of assisting departments from another town to respond to other WDW 911calls and do they know WDW property like the back of their hand like RCFD does?😏

Last edited:

beertiki

In my post last night, I did not bring up what I thought might be the problems. As stated in other posts, I too believe that the average Disney guest is less fit, slower, larger, with more medical issues, both physical and mental than the average population. My next opinion might get me in trouble. I also believe that the average Disney guess is less intelligent. 50% of the population will always be less intelligent than the other 50%, and I think the less intelligent group travels to Disney more frequently.

I wonder how many of the stops, slow downs, and delays were caused by those people. They can not figure out to close a stroller until they get to the door, even though they know that they will be boarding in less than a minute. They get on anything boats, busses, goldolas, and ride vehicles and sit in the first seat, making everyone walk around them. Park tickets, wallets, money, and keys are always buried in some backpack or bag when they get to the
register or scanner, and they hold up the line.

The gondolas should be so simple and easy to ride, but when you try and load the the average Disney guest, you get slowdowns, delays, and stops.

DisneyJoe

In my post last night, I did not bring up what I thought might be the problems. As stated in other posts, I too believe that the average Disney guest is less fit, slower, larger, with more medical issues, both physical and mental than the average population. My next opinion might get me in trouble. I also believe that the average Disney guess is less intelligent. 50% of the population will always be less intelligent than the other 50%, and I think the less intelligent group travels to Disney more frequently.

I wonder how many of the stops, slow downs, and delays were caused by those people. They can not figure out to close a stroller until they get to the door, even though they know that they will be boarding in less than a minute. They get on anything boats, busses, goldolas, and ride vehicles and sit in the first seat, making everyone walk around them. Park tickets, wallets, money, and keys are always buried in some backpack or bag when they get to the

The gondolas should be so simple and easy to ride, but when you try and load the the average Disney guest, you get slowdowns, delays, and stops.
Some of that isn't lack of intelligence, it is a sense of entitlement. There's a big difference.

lazyboy97o

According to local news WESH, Reedy Creek firefighter union voicing FD staffing issue again. Used 30 of 32 firefighters on duty for evening skyliner incident. What's the ETA of assisting departments from another town to respond to other WDW 911calls and do they know WDW property like the back of their hand like RCFD does?😏
If you’re going to keep going on about this you could at least look at some maps. It wouldn’t be another town responding first, but the counties.

Heppenheimer

I don't disagree with you, but stops are pretty common on ski lifts too (chairlifts even moreso than gondolas). I haven't visited Disney World since the Skyliner opened, so I can't compare the relative number of stops. However, at the resort closest to me with gondolas (Stowe), it's pretty rare that I make it all the way the mountain without at least one short stop.

I seem to recall the main gondola line at Garmisch-Partenkirchen also stopping very frequently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom