Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Dizknee_Phreek

What if a meteor hit a cabin?

Why are you closing your eyes to the evac options that were already in use?

In any of those situations you use the call box, or call 911... and the response would have been proportional to the need.
I'm just saying all scenarios need to be considered. The lady with the diabetic son was using the call box and no one was answering.

flynnibus

Premium Member
These systems are used around the world, many similar ones going up mountains and over forests...how do those systems account for evacuations?

Where there is not ground access... typically they climb the towers, then use harnesses and move along the robes to the cabins... then lower people via ropes and harnesses.

The more complex situations are where you can’t lower people down below.

flynnibus

Premium Member
One thing that caught my attention was the bumpers each car has (big rubber pieces on each corner) so there was some thought in to they might bump in to each other right? or why would they be there ?

Because the cabins swing and move even when in the station. The bumpers are for when the cabins are being moved around in close proximity to each other.

nolatron

One thing that caught my attention was the bumpers each car has (big rubber pieces on each corner) so there was some thought in to they might bump in to each other right? or why would they be there ?

Pictures of them in storage have them bumped up right on each other. In the stations when running looks like about 1-2 feet of separation.

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 11.47.14 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 11.48.57 AM.png

LSLS

So I've seen multiple people post about how bad the 3 hour evac is. Is this true from Disney's perspective? In other words, what is the evacuation time supposed to be?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm just saying all scenarios need to be considered. The lady with the diabetic son was using the call box and no one was answering.

Then call 911. Not every situation will be covered. Every situation is evaluated based on its probability and impact. Thats what “risk assessment” is. As its already been mentioned... they have ways of getting to people if necessary.

lazyboy97o

A couple of suggestions:
  1. Get more lift trucks (faster ones if available) and train more cast members to use them.
  2. Contract with nearby public safety agencies to assist with rescue, and perform joint training.
  3. Map out fire lanes wherever the lines cross over parking lots, to maintain a clear path for lift trucks to get into the optimal position.
The lift truck is only required for the highest portions over Caribbean Beach. Most of the line can be reached with more standard lifts.

It was mentioned that Law enforcement was present conducting interviews with cast members. It also seems reasonable Disney would need to self report this to a state agency and that someone from the state who oversees these type systems would probably need to be involved after an accident.
There is a good chance that agency is the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

erasure fan1

so now when ANYTHING happens... people think “well if they got that, i should get any least X because this is worse than that...” and the escalations continue... and the threshold lowers because people are simply selfish and there is always blame to go around these days....
And couple that with the fact that Disney is requiring the highest premium to enter their parks. Therefore people will always expect the highest compensation in return when something goes wrong.

Last edited:

peter11435

If this is true, that sounds like politics to me. Almost as if no one wanted to make that call and had to wait for the decision to get the blessing from higher up. Maybe I am wrong but seems like a long time to wait to make a decision on that. Personal opinion is that the crash was bad, the response was the real disaster.
Yes. I think nobody wanted to be the one that called the first evac of the system so they delayed and tried to avoid.

My opinion is that the crash was a relatively minor incident (still bad) that was made much worse by poor decision making after the fact combined with a very difficult evac process. There are worse incidents around the resort involving buses, boats, monorails, attraction vehicles and more every month. If people only knew the things that happen.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Im waiting for the next fad of “disney travel hacks” when people discuss what keywords to use to get evac’d off the skyliner first... you know some will do it.

Lilofan

Yes. I think nobody wanted to be the one that called the first evac of the system so they delayed and tried to avoid.

My opinion is that the crash was a relatively minor incident (still bad) that was made much worse by poor decision making after the fact combined with a very difficult evac process. There are worse incidents around the resort involving buses, boats, monorails, attraction vehicles and more every month. If people only knew the things that happen.
If Reedy Creek was involved in a worse incident earlier in the night and all hands on deck still on that one, and then the Skyliner incident happens, that would be the perfect storm.

MuteSuperstar

The incident happened on a weekend night. Most likely, inexperienced leaders were working at that time. The upper leadership were probably enjoying their weekend since when do they ever work on a Saturday night? I'm sure many people got a phone call and text and need to get back to work...

This is the most popular travel destination on the face of the planet, not a bank branch. The fact that it was a weekend night should never be an excuse for having inexperienced leadership (not assuming this was the case, however).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom