Pre-Trip 3 Couples Going on an Adventure in Nov' 2019

Later this year, I will be embarking on a week long stay at Walt Disney World. My wife and I have not been there since March of 2018 so I've dying to get back. But I want to keep this first post simple and give you all of the details.

How:
So how did this trip come about? Well, our good friends have been wanting to visit WDW with my wife and I for a long time now. They asked us if we would be willing to go with them in November of 2019 and we, of course, said yes. Our friend is a school teacher so she gets a week off here in New Jersey. I know it’ll be a bit busy because of the runDisney event and Jersey week but I know we’ll make the most of it.

Who:
Matt (Me)
Melissa (my wife)
Miguel
Lindsey (School Teacher)
Doug
Kim (Sister of Lindsey)

Miguel and Lindsey are the ones who asked us on this trip. They are as big as Disney fans as Melissa and I are. We were trying to decide who we should invite on this trip and we decided to invite our other friends Doug and Kim. So cool story here. Doug is one of my longest and closest friends. I've known him since we were kids in middle school. Miguel has been a good friend of mine for a long time as well. I had started working with him when we were teenagers. Over the years, Doug and Miguel eventually met and had become friends as well.

Miguel and Lindsey met 6 years ago and will be married by the time we go on our Disney vacation. Doug went out on a date with Kim after meeting on a dating app. On their first date, they realized their mutual connection. Lindsey & Kim are sisters and Miguel & Doug are friends. They have now been dating over a year.

Now we are all friends and excited to go on an adventure with each other!

When:
November 2-9, 2019 (Saturday to Saturday)

Like I said earlier, we are going because Lindsey has off from her job as a school teacher. Her schedule only allows going during the those breaks or summer. I refuse to go in the summer ha.

Where:
Old Key West (2 Bedroom Villa) - Matt, Melissa, Miguel, Lindsey
Coronado Springs - Gran Destino Tower (Standard King) - Doug, Kim

My father in law is DVC member and allows us to use points his points every year. Very appreciative of that! He let's his kids use the points now which is great for us.

We chose Old Key West because it was the only resort that was available for that extended amount of time. His home resort is Vero Beach so we couldn't book that 11 months out and had to wait until the 7 month mark. We could have done a split stay but I didn't want to be bother with that. Honestly, I love Old Key West. My wife and I stayed there last year and we fell in love with it. It's so quiet and it honestly feels like you are returning home for the day. Miguel and Lindsey will be staying with us in the room as well.

Doug and Kim could have stayed with us as well but they wanted to get a place for themselves. So they found a great deal over at the brand new Gran Destino tower at Coronado Springs. I am very excited to check out the new tower. They actually had no idea it was new until I told them after they booked.

ADRS:
Crystal Palace - Breakfast
Toledo - Dinner
Cape May Cafe - Dinner
Ohana - Breakfast

Those are the only ADRs I have right now. We will figure it out later for rest of the days because I feel have to keep some spontaneity on your trip. I have never eaten at any of those places so I'm really excited to try them.

Special Ticketed Events:
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - Friday, Nov 8
Up Close with Rhinos - Still need to book

None of us have done the Christmas party before so we are all very excited. We already booked our tickets and will be going on the very first night of the party! I know it'll be busy but I'll make sure to be patient with the crowds. I've done the Halloween party before so I know what to expect for the most part.

I also really want to do the Up Close with Rhinos tour at Animal Kingdom. We all agreed to do it, now we just have to book it. Very excited for that!

Other:
We are only buying a 5 day ticket with no park hopper. So we'll be making the most of those days. We are also giving ourselves some time to relax by the pool, visit Disney Springs and the other resorts.

I also have a Monorail Crawl planned. Well start by going to the Wave in the Contemporary. Then we'll head over to Trader Sam's at the Polynesian. Next we'll head over to the newly opened Beauty and the Beast themed lounge at the Grand Floridian (at least it's suppose to be open). Lastly, we'll take a boat to the Wilderness Lodge for one last drink at Geyser Point.

So that's pretty much it for now. I'll keep updating as time goes on and our plans shift around. Also, I have my own Disney podcast called X-S Press if anyone is interested. I put out two episodes a week: an episode on theme park news and an episode where I interview past cast members.

Anyways, can't wait to continue telling everyone our plans on our upcoming adventure. Let me know what are your thoughts on our upcoming trip!

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
A little change of plans for our day at Hollywood Studios on Sunday. As everyone knows by now, reservations went out for Oga's Cantina yesterday. I got a lunch reservation at 11:40, woo! Very excited about that. So not only do we have lunch reservations, we are also going to Cape May Cafe before Fantasmic that day.

Rista1313

A little change of plans for our day at Hollywood Studios on Sunday. As everyone knows by now, reservations went out for Oga's Cantina yesterday. I got a lunch reservation at 11:40, woo! Very excited about that. So not only do we have lunch reservations, we are also going to Cape May Cafe before Fantasmic that day.

Just checking, you know they don't serve food right?

Rista1313

Yup! I have "lunch" reservations in my brain because Disney says "Lunch" and "Dinner" reservations on their website when booking. We'll grab drinks there and some food elsewhere.

OK! Just making sure... some people don't realize! I have a "dinner" reservation on my HS day.

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
So a very weird coincidence happened this past weekend! On Saturday, one of my favorite YouTube Channels, ResortTV1, posted a video of a Tour of a 2 Bedroom Villa at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I saw it was posted but didn't watch it right away because I was doing something else at the time. I've mentioned earlier in this thread that we are on a DVC waiting list for AKL and Beach Club. Our current reservation is at Old Key West in a 2 bedroom villa. So after I saw the video was posted I thought to myself, "Hopefully we get that room at some point."

Well, the following day we got a little bit of Disney Magic. My father-in-law (whose points we are using) forwarded me an email from DVC saying that we got the 2BR villa Savanna View at Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village! I couldn't believe it. I immediately thought back to the video that was posted and it was the universe giving me a sign that we were about it get it ha.

So that's some really great news for us! We will be staying a full week over at AKL. We are still hoping for Beach Club because a lot of our time will be spent in that area but we are still extremely excited for AKL!

Also, next week is when we booked fastpasses!

Rista1313

So a very weird coincidence happened this past weekend! On Saturday, one of my favorite YouTube Channels, ResortTV1, posted a video of a Tour of a 2 Bedroom Villa at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I saw it was posted but didn't watch it right away because I was doing something else at the time. I've mentioned earlier in this thread that we are on a DVC waiting list for AKL and Beach Club. Our current reservation is at Old Key West in a 2 bedroom villa. So after I saw the video was posted I thought to myself, "Hopefully we get that room at some point."

Well, the following day we got a little bit of Disney Magic. My father-in-law (whose points we are using) forwarded me an email from DVC saying that we got the 2BR villa Savanna View at Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village! I couldn't believe it. I immediately thought back to the video that was posted and it was the universe giving me a sign that we were about it get it ha.

So that's some really great news for us! We will be staying a full week over at AKL. We are still hoping for Beach Club because a lot of our time will be spent in that area but we are still extremely excited for AKL!

Also, next week is when we booked fastpasses!
Amazing news! Sounds spacious compared to my Movies and POP rooms =D But there are only 2 of us... so we don't need much room!

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Amazing news! Sounds spacious compared to my Movies and POP rooms =D But there are only 2 of us... so we don't need much room!

Haha exactly! There are 6 of us so we need the space. Last year, we booked super last minute trip and got a 2BR at OKW and it was mostly just my wife and I. SO MUCH SPACE. It was like going home every single day ha. We had friends the last few nights of the trip to take over one of the bedrooms. OKW has the biggest rooms though so it feels more spacious

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Just booked our fastpasses this morning! I got everything we needed besides Slinky Dog so I'll have to keep an eye out for that. I won't bore you with the detail as things can change but super excited that it was finally Fastpass day!

Here is a tip, just in case you haven't heard it before. If you have a longer stay (5+ days), there will always be more availability for Fastpasses towards the end of the trip. Here is what happened to me: at the beginning of our trip, we plan on going to AK on 11/4-Monday and there weren't any FoP available. We had a free day on 11/7-Thursday so I checked FoP availability and it was wide open so I grabbed some FPs on that day.

Anyways, I can't believe we are two months away!

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
We purchased the Disney Dining Plan last night! For the first time ever, my wife and I will be using the dining plan. We purchased the middle tier plan that includes 1 quick service and 1 table service per night. I'm really excited about it because we usually purchase alcoholic beverages with our meals so that will save a lot of money since the meals include them.

What are your best tips when using the dining plan? We want to use a lot of our snack credits at the Food & Wine Festival.

Rista1313

We purchased the Disney Dining Plan last night! For the first time ever, my wife and I will be using the dining plan. We purchased the middle tier plan that includes 1 quick service and 1 table service per night. I'm really excited about it because we usually purchase alcoholic beverages with our meals so that will save a lot of money since the meals include them.

What are your best tips when using the dining plan? We want to use a lot of our snack credits at the Food & Wine Festival.

Just got back Wednesday night Matt... we love the dining plan.. we didn't have it the first 3 days of our trip and I about died paying out of pocket... for me the dining plan is the way to go. We used our snacks 2 separate days in epcot for lunches... eating around the world... here's a pro-tip for you... if you want to do the cheese fondue at the france booth.. they only give you 3 measly croutons to dip.. and you have plenty of cheese leftover. First.. stop by Halles patisserie and buy a 1/2 bagette (pay out of pocket as this is a poor use of a snack credit) and then go get the fondue... then you will have plenty of bread to go with your cheese! Oh and this would be out of pocket too, but the guinness baileys milkshake at the ireland booth is yummy!

ETA: We tried Boma this trip.. it was awesome!

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
That's great to hear about the dining plan. I plan calculating everything we would have spent if we weren't on the DDP and comparing it to the DDP. I want to see if I actually am saving money.

Great idea about the cheese fondue! It wasn't on my radar but now it is.

We are trying Sanaa this trip but not Boma. I could be a spontaneous thing so we'll see.

AKemily

So we did it! We decided to begin our trip on Thursday instead of Saturday. We booked our flight to leave on Halloween night. We'll be getting into Florida after midnight unfortunately but that's okay. We booked a two night stay at the B Hotel which is a 10 minute walk from Disney Springs.
Just noticed your PTR! We have the exact same dates as you guys - heading there on the 31st and leaving on the 9th. We're staying offsite so booked our first fastpasses this morning.

My friend and I stayed at the B Hotel on my last trip in September of last year. We thought it was great! We had our whole 7-day stay there but didn't spend much time in the room so it certainly served its purpose for us.

So Melissa and I decided to buy tickets for the last Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party on November 1st! That means we will be attending that Halloween party and the first Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party on November 8th!

We went to a Halloween party in 2013 but I was very unprepared for it and made a lot of mistakes. I am definitely not going to let that happen this time. We felt like we had to make up for it and try it again. Plus we love Halloween so it was really hard to pass it up. It will be a great way to kick off our vacation before the other couples arrive.

But I want to know, what are your best tips when you go to the Halloween or Christmas party?
We have considered doing this too... but worried about breaking the bank:hilarious: For now we have decided to wait to the day of to see how we're feeling about adding a party to the mix. If we don't end up going, I will be interested to hear how your parties go!

I went to the Halloween party last year as well. It was great, but lines felt long which is another reason I'm more hesitant this year. Of course, we had a few key characters we needed to meet which really cut down on our time to do other things so your plan for the party sounds great and I'm sure you'll get a lot done!

We are trying Sanaa this trip but not Boma. I could be a spontaneous thing so we'll see.
Sanaa is amazing! You can't go wrong. We have been trying to get an ADR but we booked our trip late and there's 11 of us, so... not much luck there.:(

Saturday - Nov 2
  • The rest of the gang arrives at 12:30AM
  • We are all staying at the B Resort so we'll meet up in the morning.
  • Head over to Old Key West in the morning to drop off our bags.
  • I believe we will be spontaneous during the day and figure out what we want to do.
  • 5:10PM Reservations at Cape May Cafe in Beach Club
  • Go to Jelly Rolls and Ample Hills Creamery afterwards
This looks like our only overlapping day, assuming you will be in Epcot (and that we don't go to any parties!). If you see us make sure to say hi! (I'm in the purple cardigan, and my sister @krause is in the purple sweater. We will also be travelling with our other sister and her family).
mk_bellevillagebridgeiconnc_20180203_408502058113-jpg.263400

Only 29 days to go!🥳

zeebs758

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Just noticed your PTR! We have the exact same dates as you guys - heading there on the 31st and leaving on the 9th. We're staying offsite so booked our first fastpasses this morning.

My friend and I stayed at the B Hotel on my last trip in September of last year. We thought it was great! We had our whole 7-day stay there but didn't spend much time in the room so it certainly served its purpose for us.

We have considered doing this too... but worried about breaking the bank:hilarious: For now we have decided to wait to the day of to see how we're feeling about adding a party to the mix. If we don't end up going, I will be interested to hear how your parties go!

I went to the Halloween party last year as well. It was great, but lines felt long which is another reason I'm more hesitant this year. Of course, we had a few key characters we needed to meet which really cut down on our time to do other things so your plan for the party sounds great and I'm sure you'll get a lot done!

Sanaa is amazing! You can't go wrong. We have been trying to get an ADR but we booked our trip late and there's 11 of us, so... not much luck there.:(

This looks like our only overlapping day, assuming you will be in Epcot (and that we don't go to any parties!). If you see us make sure to say hi! (I'm in the purple cardigan, and my sister @krause is in the purple sweater. We will also be travelling with our other sister and her family).
mk_bellevillagebridgeiconnc_20180203_408502058113-jpg.263400

Only 29 days to go!🥳

That's awesome that you have the same dates as us! Our schedule is kind of flexible and we will be park hopping as well so maybe we'll see ya. I'll have to post a photo of us later!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the B. We'll only be there for a couple nights but I'm excited.

11 people is a lot! It's gonna be hard to get dining anywhere haha. What do you have booked so far?

If you can, I am doing a Monorail Crawl meet up on the 7th if you are able to make it!

Give me a follow on Instagram if you're on it so we can connect that way!

Rista1313

I can tell you from this months experience that they are still packing the people in... it was definitely a once and done for us...

MickeyCB

Following along and looking forward to reading of your adventures! Your trip sounds like it will be so much fun.
Couple of comments, we love AKL, the rooms are quite large and the hotel is beautiful!
We ended up using Uber quite a bit from there due to distance, but it didn't kill the budget.
You mentioned The Boat House, we had one of the best meals I've ever had at Disney there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom