WDW planning is getting stressful

bryanfze55

My family and I have been visiting both WDW and Disneyland for about five years now. We love both, and I have often defended WDW, notably the Magic Kingdom, against detractors who say it’s inferior to Disneyland, Universal, etc. I believe WDW offers certain experiences you just can’t get anywhere else.

However, planning for WDW trips is beginning to take its toll. My family isn’t fond of heat, so we typically try to go to Disney Parks in fall or winter. This year we were planning to go to WDW the week of Dec. 7-14. I just cancelled and decided to go to Disneyland instead. We have a nearly one year old daughter, and being able to walk from your hotel/motel to the park entrance in 5-7 minutes just sounded heavenly compared to the transportation logistics at WDW.

Another key factor in our decision is the presence of the Christmas party at WDW. It was occurring at MK four of the seven days we had intended to go. My family doesn’t have much interest in the Christmas party. We did it once - it was still extremely busy, and I just didn’t see the value for my money. So that left us doing MK the three days the party was not occurring - and in our recent experience, crowds at MK are unbearable on the non-party days since most people don’t want to pay for the event. Meanwhile, at Disneyland, guests get to enjoy all the holiday celebrations plus some fantastic holiday overlays without paying for a hard ticket event.

Also, with Rise of the Resistance opening at WDW on 12/5, I had my suspicions that DHS would be a logistical nightmare. I do enjoy DHS, but the fact is my 5-year-old daughter can only do a few rides in that park. I’m not a huge defender of California Adventure; however, there’s over a dozen rides in that park she can do. Some of them are tacky carnival rides, but if crowds are bad, at least there is a backup plan. At DHS, if crowds are bad, all the lines will be super long since the park is so under built. A few of the shows are great, but they’re the same thing every time. None of them have really been updated in a very long time. This may be fine for the once in a lifetime guest, but for WDW regulars - it loses appeal. I say this as a huge Muppets fan. Meanwhile, at Disneyland, they’re doing a special holiday version of World of Color. Go figure.

I still love WDW. I’m definitely going to miss some things by cancelling my trip - Kilimanjaro Safaris, Pandora, Expedition Everest, Spaceship Earth, World Showcase, ToT... but the fact is, I think the guest experience is dwindling at WDW in comparison to its west coast counterpart. And for my family, the logistics of planning a WDW trip with an infant was just too much. We will definitely go back someday, but for now we may be a Disneyland family.

For whatever reason, it seems that Disney has really tried to market WDW as THE place they want you to go. They don’t do that with Disneyland. None of the families I know (I live in the Midwest) have gone to Disneyland. It doesn’t even cross their mind. However, at worst, the quality is about the same at both resorts. WDW has a “bubble.” But Disneyland tends to keep its parks fresher and more updated due to it being a locals’ park. It would just be nice to see WDW be a little more like Disneyland... less planning. Maybe that’s not possible given their guest count, but it seems that’s a self-inflicted wound by marketing WDW as the go-to place for American families, rather than Disneyland, all the while neglecting to properly build-up the four WDW parks and keep them fresh.

No real point to this post other than to vent and see if anybody else is having similar frustrations with the way WDW is headed... I guess you could say I’m also encouraging people to give a look to Disneyland if the thought has never crossed their mind. It’s all the euphoria without all the stress.

bUU

For whatever reason, it seems that Disney has really tried to market WDW as THE place they want you to go. They don’t do that with Disneyland.
That's because WDW attendance is generally families visiting for their once-every-few-years vacations, while Disneyland attendance is dominated by local, annual passholders.

No real point to this post other than to vent and see if anybody else is having similar frustrations with the way WDW is headed...
We've long ago put away the unfounded expectations that foster the kind of stress you're talking about. We've found that taking WDW as it is affords us far higher satisfaction and enjoyment than over-the-top planning did.

I guess you could say I’m also encouraging people to give a look to Disneyland if the thought has never crossed their mind. It’s all the euphoria without all the stress.
Disney would love to turn Disneyland into what they have at WDW. Watch them continue to try and don't be surprised or upset when they're successful.

Upvote 0

bryanfze55

Original Poster
Disney would love to turn Disneyland into what they have at WDW. Watch them continue to try and don't be surprised or upset when they're successful.

Maybe they are? I don’t know - I’m not really seeing it. I know that price increases have hit Disneyland as well, but I think the experience remains different enough.

WDW is just as terrific during the holidays, but honestly the parties are too much. About half the days in December, the Magic Kingdom closes early. It makes planning much more difficult, and you begin to feel like a second class citizen if, God forbid, you don’t want to shell out $300 for the privilege of staying in MK and watching a Christmas parade.

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

As I'm sure you know, The real thing Walt Disney wanted in Florida was space. Room to do things bigger. And he got it and does it. Thus, you have 4 theme parks, 2 water parks, the shopping district, golf, camping, etc. Along with the room to have all these things, it is therefore more complicated to plan for them. And Mickey has focused in recent years on slicing the pie thinner by raising the prices (by which I mean closing MK early and charging extra to stay later.) Yes, if Mickey had the room in California, he would do the same thing. But the advantage Walt gained in silently buying all that land in Florida in the 60s. was a one-time advantage. Thus, California has been more focused on a "locals" park. And they do work harder to give the locals reason to come again.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I agree things have gotten much more complicated since the inclusion of holiday events among other things that have changed since we started visiting WDW. The stress of having to plan so much farther in advance and coordinate details all together to maximize your park time and enjoyment has certainly added to my frustrations. I'm still able to plan efficiently enough to give me a pleasant trip, and although its more work, its worth it in the end. WDW still gets my family time because of the location, the vast territory it entails and the variety of experiences it delivers.

Upvote 0

bUU

WDW is just as terrific during the holidays, but honestly the parties are too much. About half the days in December, the Magic Kingdom closes early. It makes planning much more difficult...
But that concern has been expressed, albeit with different causes, for decades. I remember way back in the 1980s advising people to understand the standard business hours of the parks (MK 9-6, Epcot 9-9 - that has never changed, except for the change that split the hours in Epcot into separate standard hours for the two parts of the park. And since they opened I believe the studios has always been 9-5 or 9-6, and Animal Kingdom has been 9-5 or 8-5).

Hours longer than that have always, and will always, be viewed and appreciated as a bonus.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Maybe they are? I don’t know - I’m not really seeing it. I know that price increases have hit Disneyland as well, but I think the experience remains different enough.

WDW is just as terrific during the holidays, but honestly the parties are too much. About half the days in December, the Magic Kingdom closes early. It makes planning much more difficult, and you begin to feel like a second class citizen if, God forbid, you don’t want to shell out $300 for the privilege of staying in MK and watching a Christmas parade.

I totally understand your frustration.

As far the parties go, MK on the party days are actually a good time to go to the park. Because many stay away, it is less crowded and lines tend to be shorter. On the non- party days, the crowds flock to the park and it is chaotic. Obviously the downside is that without a party ticket you can’t see the fireworks.

Upvote 0

bryanfze55

Original Poster
But that concern has been expressed, albeit with different causes, for decades. I remember way back in the 1980s advising people to understand the standard business hours of the parks (MK 9-6, Epcot 9-9 - that has never changed, except for the change that split the hours in Epcot into separate standard hours for the two parts of the park. And since they opened I believe the studios has always been 9-5 or 9-6, and Animal Kingdom has been 9-5 or 8-5).

Hours longer than that have always, and will always, be viewed and appreciated as a bonus.

Interesting. I had no idea MK used to close at 6 PM. In my opinion, night time is the most fun time to experience pretty much all the parks.

Upvote 0

lebeau

Our 2014 trip was our last. I didn't know that at the time. I fully expected to keep taking WDW trips roughly every other year until the kids were sick of going. But then we did some other kinds of trips and decided, gosh WDW sure is a pain! Once we did a week at Universal in the deluxe hotels with Express Pass and easy transportation to and from the parks, WDW became a real tough sell. Haven't been back since. Every time I even think about it, I remember all the crowded buses and logistical nightmares. I don't know when or if we will ever return. A part of me is worried that if we ever went back we would spend a lot of money and come home disappointed.

Currently, I am planning a trip for my sister, my niece and my mom. Good gravy there is a lot of getting up at 6am and scrambling to reserve things online. Then going back and checking for better times, making changes and fine-tuning plans! This is the only vacation destination in the world where that level of pre-planning is necessary. Sure, you could not do it. But there's a price to pay if you don't.

Obviously, plenty of people are willing to do it and to keep paying whatever Disney is asking for the privilege. There's no reason for Disney to make things easier if guests are still lining up with open wallets. I know Disney does not miss us.

Upvote 0

bryanfze55

Original Poster
Our 2014 trip was our last. I didn't know that at the time. I fully expected to keep taking WDW trips roughly every other year until the kids were sick of going. But then we did some other kinds of trips and decided, gosh WDW sure is a pain! Once we did a week at Universal in the deluxe hotels with Express Pass and easy transportation to and from the parks, WDW became a real tough sell. Haven't been back since. Every time I even think about it, I remember all the crowded buses and logistical nightmares. I don't know when or if we will ever return. A part of me is worried that if we ever went back we would spend a lot of money and come home disappointed.

Currently, I am planning a trip for my sister, my niece and my mom. Good gravy there is a lot of getting up at 6am and scrambling to reserve things online. Then going back and checking for better times, making changes and fine-tuning plans! This is the only vacation destination in the world where that level of pre-planning is necessary. Sure, you could not do it. But there's a price to pay if you don't.

Obviously, plenty of people are willing to do it and to keep paying whatever Disney is asking for the privilege. There's no reason for Disney to make things easier if guests are still lining up with open wallets. I know Disney does not miss us.

I would encourage you to check out Disneyland. For the price of Disney World value or less, you can get a hotel within a ten minute walk of Disneyland. You wake up, walk to the park, and schedule your Fast Passes that day just like everyone else. No pre-planning required, unless you want a certain dining reservation. There’s fewer table service restaurants at Disneyland, but the quick service is miles better.

For us, a trip to Disneyland is about the same as a trip to Disney World. The flight is a bit more to LAX than Orlando and we have to rent a car in California, but the hotel and ticket package are a lot cheaper at Disneyland. Granted, we only do Disneyland for five days while we do WDW for seven. But five days at DL is arguably more fulfilling than seven at WDW since the footprint is so small. You can take it easy and just go with the flow and still see everything you want.

I know I probably sound like an infomercial for Disneyland, and that’s not my intent. I love both places equally. And for an adults only trip, I might still choose WDW. But the fact is, Epcot and DHS just aren’t great parks for children under 5, and the amount of pre-planning required just isn’t compatible with very young kids in my opinion. I’m honestly shocked more people don’t look into Disneyland as an alternative. As I said, where I live, people seem to think it’s Disney World or bust. In reality, Disneyland Park is better than the Magic Kingdom. And California Adventure is probably an inferior theme park to Animal Kingdom or Epcot - but at the end of the day, there’s simply more to do, especially for young kids. If you want a zoological experience, a visit to the San Diego Zoo and/or Safari Park are a great add-on to a Disneyland trip. It’s no Animal Kingdom, but San Diego Zoo sets the bar as far as zoos go...

Anyways, I’m off track. Just wanted to throw it out that Disneyland may be a good way to get your Disney fix in without all the planning and logistics. My family has no interest in Universal, so that wouldn’t be our second choice but YMMV based on kids’ ages and interests.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

epcotisbest

I would encourage you to check out Disneyland. For the price of Disney World value or less, you can get a hotel within a ten minute walk of Disneyland. You wake up, walk to the park, and schedule your Fast Passes that day just like everyone else. No pre-planning required, unless you want a certain dining reservation. There’s fewer table service restaurants at Disneyland, but the quick service is miles better.

For us, a trip to Disneyland is about the same as a trip to Disney World. The flight is a bit more to LAX than Orlando and we have to rent a car in California, but the hotel and ticket package are a lot cheaper at Disneyland. Granted, we only do Disneyland for five days while we do WDW for seven. But five days at DL is arguably more fulfilling than seven at WDW since the footprint is so small. You can take it easy and just go with the flow and still see everything you want.

I know I probably sound like an infomercial for Disneyland, and that’s not my intent. I love both places equally. And for an adults only trip, I might still choose WDW. But the fact is, Epcot and DHS just aren’t great parks for children under 5, and the amount of pre-planning required just isn’t compatible with very young kids in my opinion. I’m honestly shocked more people don’t look into Disneyland as an alternative. As I said, where I live, people seem to think it’s Disney World or bust. In reality, Disneyland Park is better than the Magic Kingdom. And California Adventure is probably an inferior theme park to Animal Kingdom or Epcot - but at the end of the day, there’s simply more to do, especially for young kids. If you want a zoological experience, a visit to the San Diego Zoo and/or Safari Park are a great add-on to a Disneyland trip. It’s no Animal Kingdom, but San Diego Zoo sets the bar as far as zoos go...

Anyways, I’m off track. Just wanted to throw it out that Disneyland may be a good way to get your Disney fix in without all the planning and logistics. My family has no interest in Universal, so that wouldn’t be our second choice but YMMV based on kids’ ages and interests.

Why no interest in Universal?

Upvote 0

bryanfze55

Original Poster
Why no interest in Universal?

Just personal preference. I won’t spend any time bashing Universal.

But if I must, there’s a few reasons I don’t think I’ll ever go back to Universal. Disney is just much better in my opinion. I understand Universal has made more progress in the last decade, but momentum doesn’t mean it’s a better theme park.

For one, there’s very few rides at Universal that my whole family can go. At Disney, I can go on rides with my wife, daughter and baby and we can all have a good time (as much of a “good time” as a baby can have). Examples include Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, It’s a Small World, Jungle Cruise... these are some of my favorite attractions ever. I understand they aren’t necessarily technologically advanced, but that’s part of the charm. Sign me up for any of those rides over Flight of Passage or Forbidden Journey any day. I know I may be in the minority on this.

Disneyland, in particular, has history and charm and quaintness that has never and will never be replicated by another theme park. The Magic Kingdom also has many timeless attractions. To me, nothing as Universal feels timeless. The big draws are thrill rides, Harry Potter Land, and some of the newer technologically advanced screen rides like Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey, etc. Thrill rides are cool and all, but I’ll take theming over thrill any day. In that regard, rides like Hollywood Rip Rocket and the Hulk do nothing for me. I can go to Six Flags and do the same thing. Harry Potter Land is very well done - kudos to Universal. But my wife and I just have no interest in the IP. And at the end of the day, Universal is far more screen-driven than Disney. There’s nothing charming about that. Yes, some of the screen rides are fun. But it’s the small things at Disney that really spark the magic. I get a warmth in my heart that I just don’t get anywhere else, including Universal.

Upvote 0

epcotisbest

Just personal preference. I won’t spend any time bashing Universal.

But if I must, there’s a few reasons I don’t think I’ll ever go back to Universal. Disney is just much better in my opinion. I understand Universal has made more progress in the last decade, but momentum doesn’t mean it’s a better theme park.

For one, there’s very few rides at Universal that my whole family can go. At Disney, I can go on rides with my wife, daughter and baby and we can all have a good time (as much of a “good time” as a baby can have). Examples include Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth, It’s a Small World, Jungle Cruise... these are some of my favorite attractions ever. I understand they aren’t necessarily technologically advanced, but that’s part of the charm. Sign me up for any of those rides over Flight of Passage or Forbidden Journey any day. I know I may be in the minority on this.

Disneyland, in particular, has history and charm and quaintness that has never and will never be replicated by another theme park. The Magic Kingdom also has many timeless attractions. To me, nothing as Universal feels timeless. The big draws are thrill rides, Harry Potter Land, and some of the newer technologically advanced screen rides like Spider-Man, Forbidden Journey, etc. Thrill rides are cool and all, but I’ll take theming over thrill any day. In that regard, rides like Hollywood Rip Rocket and the Hulk do nothing for me. I can go to Six Flags and do the same thing. Harry Potter Land is very well done - kudos to Universal. But my wife and I just have no interest in the IP. And at the end of the day, Universal is far more screen-driven than Disney. There’s nothing charming about that. Yes, some of the screen rides are fun. But it’s the small things at Disney that really spark the magic. I get a warmth in my heart that I just don’t get anywhere else, including Universal.

I was just curious. For me, rides are the least important part of a theme park trip following multiple back surgeries and we still like Universal. My wife will ride a few select coasters at the parks, while I wait patiently for her.
We have been to all four Disney parks, both Universal parks and Seaworld without ever going on a thrill ride and still had a good time.
And, we have spent multiple trips to Orlando and never visited any theme parks, if you can believe that.

Upvote 0

bUU

Interesting. I had no idea MK used to close at 6 PM. In my opinion, night time is the most fun time to experience pretty much all the parks.
I even remember the advertising tag-line they used to call attention to those occasions when the park was open late... "On special nights, ..."

To be clear, MK's business hours even today are 9AM-6PM. That's the commitment that they make. That's what gives them the firm foundation on which to offer hard-ticket or private events beginning at 7PM when they wish to.

I know Disney does not miss us.
This is something that a lot of the curmudgeons online have to come to realize, for their own good if not for that of those who incidentally interact with them.

Upvote 0

dav23

I live in SoCal and am a Disneyland annual pass holder but we're also fortunate enough to head out to Orlando every 2-3 years for a larger, more concentrated trip. We love staying on property and diving head-first into the Disney bubble for a week or so. We love Epcot, love Animal Kingdom and hope to eventually love Hollywood Studios once its becomes a full-fledged theme park again this year. We can take or leave MK as it's really hard for it to not feel like, IMHO, a somewhat lesser version of DL but still get over there at least once a trip.

However many of the points you bring up ring true for me in regards to having to over-plan a WDW trip. At Disneyland there is a spontaneity to everything and ease of access that WDW just doesn’t have. With hopper passes, DL and CA are basically one giant park and you can easily do 15-25 rides/shows in a day there - something that’s very difficult at WDW - no planning required.

On the one hand, I love the planning, it allows me to be in Disney-mode for days and weeks leading up to the trip and dream up a great experience. But on some albeit rare occasions, the planning can be more fun than the actual experience and I can end a day at WDW feeling like everything was too rushed and calculated. I've rarely ever had a bad theme park day but when I have it's been at a WDW park due simply to how difficult it was to get anywhere or do anything.

I would really disagree about Universal Orlando though, we love it for many of the same reasons we love the DL/CA experience. We’re about to take our next Orlando trip in November and for the first time will actually be splitting our stay evenly between WDW and Universal.

All that being said, going to log off now and go over my MDE itinerary again…

Upvote 0

bryanfze55

Original Poster
I live in SoCal and am a Disneyland annual pass holder but we're also fortunate enough to head out to Orlando every 2-3 years for a larger, more concentrated trip. We love staying on property and diving head-first into the Disney bubble for a week or so. We love Epcot, love Animal Kingdom and hope to eventually love Hollywood Studios once its becomes a full-fledged theme park again this year. We can take or leave MK as it's really hard for it to not feel like, IMHO, a somewhat lesser version of DL but still get over there at least once a trip.

However many of the points you bring up ring true for me in regards to having to over-plan a WDW trip. At Disneyland there is a spontaneity to everything and ease of access that WDW just doesn’t have. With hopper passes, DL and CA are basically one giant park and you can easily do 15-25 rides/shows in a day there - something that’s very difficult at WDW - no planning required.

On the one hand, I love the planning, it allows me to be in Disney-mode for days and weeks leading up to the trip and dream up a great experience. But on some albeit rare occasions, the planning can be more fun than the actual experience and I can end a day at WDW feeling like everything was too rushed and calculated. I've rarely ever had a bad theme park day but when I have it's been at a WDW park due simply to how difficult it was to get anywhere or do anything.

I would really disagree about Universal Orlando though, we love it for many of the same reasons we love the DL/CA experience. We’re about to take our next Orlando trip in November and for the first time will actually be splitting our stay evenly between WDW and Universal.

All that being said, going to log off now and go over my MDE itinerary again…

Welcome, and thanks for the input.

I do agree AK and Epcot are great “theme” parks, if that makes sense. Very few lands I’d rather stroll about than World Showcase, Pandora, Asia or Africa. That being said, it’s lost its luster a bit for me. After going to Disneyland and riding the rides there, it’s hard to enjoy the WDW versions. Test Track is regarded as the premier ride in Epcot, but that’s laughable after riding Radiator Springs Racers. Kali River Rapids in AK is a far inferior version of Grizzly River Run in DCA. Ditto for Dinosaur vs. Indiana Jones. I still try to enjoy each ride for what it is, but that does get harder after awhile. Don’t even get me started on Fantasmic! Sometimes I just think to myself, “Why does TDO hold itself to a lower standard than TDA?” I suppose it’s because they have brochures with a giant castle on them, and people will flock there no matter what.

I do love the Magic Kingdom, though. I love that it’s held onto some things Disneyland has lost, like the PeopleMover and Country Bear Jamboree. The only issue with MK is that it has to share attractions with three other parks as compared to one for Disneyland.

Upvote 0

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
It's either stressing with all the pre-trip planning or, stressing during a WDW vacation because you didn't plan at all!

I'd rather stress before our vacation! 😅

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom