News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

George Lucas on a Bench

It seems the vision for GE really changed by the time it was willed into solid reality. For instance, what is this:

star-wars-galaxys-edge-concept-3b.jpg

I mean, there's nothing like this in there. Looks like Princess Leia with the robots, aliens and robots roaming around, greenery and shadows. I mean, what happened? It's completely different.

TP2000

It seems the vision for GE really changed by the time it was willed into solid reality. For instance, what is this:

View attachment 388717

I mean, there's nothing like this in there. Looks like Princess Leia with the robots, aliens and robots roaming around, greenery and shadows. I mean, what happened? It's completely different.

This 2015 artwork with a mysterious village that had famous Star Wars characters and aliens and droids....

star-wars-galaxys-edge-concept-3b-jpg.388717

Became this 2017 artwork that removed all the 1977-1982 characters and aliens and droids and cut back on all the extra village stuff...

galaxys-edge-800x400.jpg

Which then became this 2019 reality which was devoid of colors outside of the beige range, plus removed even the newer droids and aliens and characters and replaced them with sparse crowds and a gaggle of bored CM's talking to each other about Katie's party last weekend.

swge_millennium_falcon_tw2_8543-e1559225735377.jpg

WDW Pro

View attachment 388717

If you'll go back in my post history, you'll see that I go into the history of this in great detail. I'll give you the quick version here:

The 2015 artwork is based on WDI's interpretation of what a Star Wars land could look like. This was prior to involvement with Lucasfilm to any significant degree. At that time, the thought was the land would be an homage to all Star Wars films and would occur in a timeless space as much of Disney Parks usually do. At that point, the thought was that Star Tours in DLR would be moved to the land, a pod racing interactive game was being looked at (which eventually would be iterated into MFSR), a possible meet and greet on the Millenium Falcon was an option, and a huge animatronic ride a la Pirates or Haunted Mansion was sort of a dream project (eventually would become RotR). However, given the success of The Force Awakens, it was mandate that Lucasfilm Story Group be given liberal command of the new expansion's story and background. They brainstormed Batuu and coordinated it with the scripts of The Last Jedi and Solo A Star Wars Story. Unfortunately, much of what WDI wanted to do had to be scrapped or heavily modified because Lucasfilm wanted the expansions to be based specifically after Episode 8. They also did not want Star Tours, Luke, or Darth Vader brought to the land in any form. Now, when you add that to Chapek's bizarre philosophies, that's how you go from the original concept to what we have today...

... except for one thing...

... on a humorous note, the greenery is actually gone for a semi-good reason. The greenery on the rock work would have almost totally had to have been fake, plastic plants. During the design of the Star Wars mountain facades, it just so happened that Seven Dwarves Mine Train caught on fire from falling firework debris at Magic Kingdom. It was an interesting night there, and despite Reedy Creek keeping it under control, it could have been a really bad situation. In what could have been a bit of a knee jerk reaction, plastic greenery at SW:GE was removed from plans within the week. Then again, SW:GE is also much, much closer to the pyro launch site than Dwarves, so it might be pretty wise.

WildRide

Haven't heard much on RotR. Getting closer to my mid-September trip as well... starting to get nervous and disappointed that it will not be ready by then...

SSG

swr2348729384729384fi-624x351.jpg

Thu, July 11, 2019
Timing for Opening of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Announced

by Thomas Smith, Editorial Content Director, Disney Parks

We’ve got some exciting news to share today with the galaxy. We’re opening Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Dec. 5 at Walt Disney World Resort. If this date sounds familiar, many of our fans will recognize it as Walt Disney’s birthday. What better way to honor the ultimate storyteller than by introducing the most immersive and advanced attraction ever imagined in a Disney Park.
rrs2094802394823423424fi.jpg

When it opens, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will blur the lines between fantasy and reality and will put guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance. Guests will be recruited to join Rey and General Organa at a secret base. Along the way, they will be captured by a First Order Star Destroyer. With the help of some heroes of the Resistance, they break out and must escape the Star Destroyer, protect the secret base, and stay one step ahead of Kylo Ren.

As soon as work is completed at Walt Disney World, Imagineers will head back to California to complete their mission at Disneyland Resort where Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will open on Friday, Jan. 17.

Between now and then, we’ll have lots more to share about this immersive, multi-platform experience so keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for updates.

TROR

That poster is still the best thing out of the land. I hope the attraction is as great as that image sells it to be. Disappointed WDW will get the attraction over a month before Disneyland, but I won't be in the park again until the summertime so what do I honestly care.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The greenery on the rock work would have almost totally had to have been fake, plastic plants.

But would that really have been such an unusual (or bad for that matter) concept? All of the greenery in Pandora that is not on "ground level" is fake, all of the greenery on the Disney Springs parking garages is fake, and (from what I have been told) all of the greenery around Three Bridges (the restaurant on the water at Coronado Springs at WDW) is fake and in all three cases, it looks convincing. If anything, using fake foliage in the upper sections would have allowed them to create more "alien" looking plant species (like they did for Pandora).

Hawg G

If you'll go back in my post history, you'll see that I go into the history of this in great detail. I'll give you the quick version here:

The 2015 artwork is based on WDI's interpretation of what a Star Wars land could look like. This was prior to involvement with Lucasfilm to any significant degree. At that time, the thought was the land would be an homage to all Star Wars films and would occur in a timeless space as much of Disney Parks usually do. At that point, the thought was that Star Tours in DLR would be moved to the land, a pod racing interactive game was being looked at (which eventually would be iterated into MFSR), a possible meet and greet on the Millenium Falcon was an option, and a huge animatronic ride a la Pirates or Haunted Mansion was sort of a dream project (eventually would become RotR). However, given the success of The Force Awakens, it was mandate that Lucasfilm Story Group be given liberal command of the new expansion's story and background. They brainstormed Batuu and coordinated it with the scripts of The Last Jedi and Solo A Star Wars Story. Unfortunately, much of what WDI wanted to do had to be scrapped or heavily modified because Lucasfilm wanted the expansions to be based specifically after Episode 8. They also did not want Star Tours, Luke, or Darth Vader brought to the land in any form. Now, when you add that to Chapek's bizarre philosophies, that's how you go from the original concept to what we have today...

... except for one thing...

... on a humorous note, the greenery is actually gone for a semi-good reason. The greenery on the rock work would have almost totally had to have been fake, plastic plants. During the design of the Star Wars mountain facades, it just so happened that Seven Dwarves Mine Train caught on fire from falling firework debris at Magic Kingdom. It was an interesting night there, and despite Reedy Creek keeping it under control, it could have been a really bad situation. In what could have been a bit of a knee jerk reaction, plastic greenery at SW:GE was removed from plans within the week. Then again, SW:GE is also much, much closer to the pyro launch site than Dwarves, so it might be pretty wise.

No way would they have ever moved Star Tours.

SSG

OK, this allows me to plan my next trip. I know some people I don't believe I exist, but I'm an out-of state Star Wars and Disneyland fan, interested in Galaxy's Edge, but holding off until the entire land is open before I visit again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom