News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Disneyland opening reports/reviews

Nirya

1. Not only would it be counterintuitive to have created the engineer/ gunner roles for smaller kids or passive scaredy cat non alphas but it also doesn’t account for the fact that parties are rarely going to be an exact party of 6 and more often than not your role isn’t a choice.

4. I don’t think that Corellia is the biggest issue with the ride (see 66.6% of riders having an only good to meh ride experience) but I do agree that it’s just not interesting and I’m not a fan of the aesthetics. I’m looking forward to new missions but TBH I’ll still have fun with the Corellia mission for the foreseeable so long as I’m pilot.

1. One thing I did notice that the Chess Room succeeds at is creating an environment where you want to talk to the people in your party prior to lining up. I ended up switching from an engineer up to gunner on one ride because the lady who had gotten gunner wanted the "easier" position of engineer just so she could experience the ride. So I don't necessarily believe that having mixed parties creates an issue for the roles. I'm more of the opinion that because pilot is such a sought-after position, it makes the other positions less-desirable. Maybe shifting some responsibilities from pilot to the engineers (like the jump to lightspeed?) would help, or giving a bit more to do to those positions.

4. I'm a firm believer that a good story can overcome a lot of other issues. Just as some personal examples, I took my parents to Universal, and while my mom could only do Forbidden Journey once because it caused her to get nauseous (and this did not appear to be a singular problem but maybe the biggest flaw of a ride I absolutely adore), she did still love her experience. Similarly, my dad was able to nitpick Transformers down to the ride vehicles because the story did not engage him. My point is, if the story is good, riders are more likely to forgive minor flaws in the experience, so having a more engaging story would go a long way to fixing the overall ride experience.

ThemeParkTraveller

3. Agreed. Probably the worst queue for a modern E ticket or any E ticket for that matter.

Space Mountain's queue is much worse in my opinion, but that's not excusing Smuggler's Run. For the amount of money they spent on the land, the queue should have been one of the most immersive ever created. Hopefully, Rise of the Resistance delivers in that regard.

Travel Junkie

Oh ya forgot about that one. Ok modern E ticket queue ** then

Although it does have that old school DL charm and those cool mission control voices and cool echo sounds.

I think this is another example WDI taking things to the immersive literal extreme. Instead of making it something cool and a place we would want to hang out in, they thought it would be a good idea to spend our time waiting in a parts shop, because that is literally where the Falcon would be parked in if it were reality.

Star Wars is a fantasy. We got too much real world in this land and not enough of the fantasy. This is where I think Universal struck a better balance with Potter on making the fantasy real.

Snow Queen

I think there were ways to make a parts shop more interesting as a queue. After all, they made an airplane (spaceship) terminal interesting for Star Tours. Some droid animatronics talking, more moving parts, maybe some buttons you could push would go a long way. As is, before the Hondo room, it seems like going through the Star Tours queue if it didn't have 3PO, R2, the Starspeeder, the 'window' with the characters going past, the bags window, overhead conveyor belts or the pair of droids. Just some overhead speaker system barking at people who aren't there.

mickEblu

I think this is another example WDI taking things to the immersive literal extreme. Instead of making it something cool and a place we would want to hang out in, they thought it would be a good idea to spend our time waiting in a parts shop, because that is literally where the Falcon would be parked in if it were reality.

Star Wars is a fantasy. We got too much real world in this land and not enough of the fantasy. This is where I think Universal struck a better balance with Potter on making the fantasy real.

Exactly. This is their problem pretty much with the entire land not just the Falcon queue.

Pretty dumb of them really.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Was anyone at DL yesterday or today? Seems like the crowds were up based on Touring Plans site. Wondering what the wait times were like for the land and the ride. Have they actually had to use the virtual queue yet?

WDW Pro

Was anyone at DL yesterday or today? Seems like the crowds were up based on Touring Plans site. Wondering what the wait times were like for the land and the ride. Have they actually had to use the virtual queue yet?

It's 6:40 PM and wait times are...

25min45min20min15min30min10min5min5min0min20min10min20min20min13minTemporarily Closed10min5min5min30min30min10min30min10min10min25min20min60min60min20min20min5min5min20min
Average WaitMillennium Falcon: Smugglers RunAstro OrbitorAutopiaBig Thunder Mountain RailroadBuzz Lightyear Astro BlastersCasey Jr. Circus TrainDisneyland MonorailDisneyland RailroadDumbo the Flying ElephantWalt Disney's Enchanted Tiki RoomFinding Nemo Submarine VoyageGadget's Go CoasterHaunted MansionIndiana Jones™ AdventureJungle CruiseKing Arthur CarrouselMad Tea PartyMatterhorn BobsledsMickey's House and Meet MickeyMr. Toad's Wild RidePeter Pan's FlightPinocchio's Daring JourneyPirates of the CaribbeanRoger Rabbit's Car Toon SpinSnow White's Scary AdventuresHyperspace MountainSplash MountainStar Tours – The Adventures ContinueStorybook Land Canal BoatsThe Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh"it's a small world"Alice in Wonderland
https://www.isitpacked.com/live-crowd-trackers/disneyland/

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's 6:40 PM and wait times are...

25min45min20min15min30min10min5min5min0min20min10min20min20min13minTemporarily Closed10min5min5min30min30min10min30min10min10min25min20min60min60min20min20min5min5min20min
Average WaitMillennium Falcon: Smugglers RunAstro OrbitorAutopiaBig Thunder Mountain RailroadBuzz Lightyear Astro BlastersCasey Jr. Circus TrainDisneyland MonorailDisneyland RailroadDumbo the Flying ElephantWalt Disney's Enchanted Tiki RoomFinding Nemo Submarine VoyageGadget's Go CoasterHaunted MansionIndiana Jones™ AdventureJungle CruiseKing Arthur CarrouselMad Tea PartyMatterhorn BobsledsMickey's House and Meet MickeyMr. Toad's Wild RidePeter Pan's FlightPinocchio's Daring JourneyPirates of the CaribbeanRoger Rabbit's Car Toon SpinSnow White's Scary AdventuresHyperspace MountainSplash MountainStar Tours – The Adventures ContinueStorybook Land Canal BoatsThe Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh"it's a small world"Alice in Wonderland
https://www.isitpacked.com/live-crowd-trackers/disneyland/
It looked like yesterday may have been even more crowded. Avg wait times around an hour for MF.

britain

Since wait times across the board are low, it’s clearly not that people are avoiding the Falcon. It’s (again) an issue with people deliberately staying away from the park.

If it was an “I don’t like Disney’s Star Wars” issue, we’d see regular July crowds throughout the park except for GE.

That’s not what we see.

britain

It’s definitely lackluster. It’s not offensive, but I wouldn’t tell anyone they need to rush to see it.

That's definitely a review that it the land is lackluster. There are also plenty of reviews that say it is spectacular. They cancel each other out in the formula.

Last edited:

TROR

That's definitely a review that it the land is lackluster. There are also plenty of reviews that say it is spectacular. They cancel each other out in the formula.
The consensus has definitely seemed to leaned towards the former from what I’ve seen, especially with hardcore Star Wars fans.

drod1985

The only place I've seen a "consensus" of lackluster reviews for the land has been this forum - and that "consensus" is really just a group of vocal posters. And I think a few weeks ago you admitted this forum was your main source of reviews as well.

I've been following the discussion and reviews across this forum, reddit, twitter, instagram, discord, and YouTube. The one thing I've seen consistently middling-to-lackluster reviews for has been the blue and green milk. Smuggler's Run reviews aren't breathtaking, but they're not lackluster either. Across my anecdotal observations from the aforementioned platforms I'd estimate the Falcon is probably averaging a 7.5/10.

George Lucas on a Bench

The early "Look at me" vlogger reviews were completely unrealistic. "We went to Galaxy Edge Before Everyone Else, Look at Us!", "We Drank BLUE MILK and Took a Selfie with Our Children's Toys", "Top 10 Rides in Galaxy Edge" etc. Even the more understated POV walkthroughs of the land were suspiciously dull, so I had a feeling something fishy was going on and it wasn't the "Ronto Wraps."

Last edited:

TROR

The only place I've seen a "consensus" of lackluster reviews for the land has been this forum - and that "consensus" is really just a group of vocal posters. And I think a few weeks ago you admitted this forum was your main source of reviews as well.

I've been following the discussion and reviews across this forum, reddit, twitter, instagram, discord, and YouTube. The one thing I've seen consistently middling-to-lackluster reviews for has been the blue and green milk. Smuggler's Run reviews aren't breathtaking, but they're not lackluster either. Across my anecdotal observations from the aforementioned platforms I'd estimate the Falcon is probably averaging a 7.5/10.
Star Wars fans inn Reddit and YouTube are saying the same thing.

mickEblu

Part of the letdown with SWL is obviously the sky high expectations. With that said, after seeing it at night, I don’t think the land is as ugly as I’ve been making it out to be. I mean yes, it could use some improvements, some easier than others but it’s not as much ugly as I guess it is boring and uninspiring with the exception of the outdoor Falcon queue area. I’m indifferent toward Big Thunder Trail West (the ROTR area).

Orrrrr maybe it’s just more pleasant at night and it still looks like Iraq in the daytime.

Last edited:

mickEblu

It's totally boring and ugly! I still want very much to like it, but I know that it's a hot mess. Disneyland is a park that is vital, alive and owns itself. It is beautiful. Epic in scope, yet homey and charming. GE is the complete opposite.

I don’t understand how they prioritized immersion for the sake of immersion over theme park basics and what resonates with people on an emotional level.

I mean there was a way to accomplish both. They re not mutually exclusive.

mickEblu

It's totally boring and ugly! I still want very much to like it, but I know that it's a hot mess. Disneyland is a park that is vital, alive and owns itself. It is beautiful. Epic in scope, yet homey and charming. GE is the complete opposite.

That’s a good way to put it. GE on the other hand is epic in scale but cold and dreary.

George Lucas on a Bench

The area around the Falcon is cool, even hindered by awkward design with ramps and stairways that make it feel like it was slapped into an existing area or something. No characters, music or even anything to do in the line, though. Something went very wrong here. That boring line needs some robots or something.

Instead, there are CMs awkwardly selling SW drink bottles and yelling at people to keep the line moving if they're not buying a drink. Go set that stand up outside the line! Where are some entertaining things to look at besides the pretty guests?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom