News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

captveg

They were thinking most guests would get their Cantina experience by eating at the Cantina Restaurant that would have been adjacent to the bar. But they just built the bar.

Is this the restaurant that can still be built a few years down the road? Or is this a different location? (I still don't have a great understanding where all the food services and shops are).

fctiger

Portions are tiny, but everything’s interesting. Think bar food... like those complimentary nuts they’ll give you (but this isn’t complimentary). They have their own version of trail mix with a Star Wars twist.

Drinks are strong. Their version of a shot gives you the best bang for your buck. Certain cocktails are very expensive since you need to buy the souvenir cup with it.

OK thank you! It sounds like TDR type of portions lol. But you sold me after 'drinks are strong'. ;)

fctiger

Tiny. Oga’s is roughly half the size of the old Cove Bar. And there’s barely a kitchen. Of course, there’s room for expansion, but why hold off?

I really don't get the thinking behind this? Why not make the place as big as possible? Especially if its the only place in the land (hell, the entire park) you can actually buy hard alcohol? I remember hearing it was going to be in two parts, the bar area and a full service restaurant. I was excited about the latter. Who wouldn't spend $30+ on a big dinner and a few drinks in a Star Wars style restaurant?

Maybe there is something in their research that told them it wouldn't be a big hit but this is one of those weird times it looks like Disney is leaving serious money on the table. If the Carthay theater is a big hit, imagine a SW version of that inside a cantina.

fctiger

They were thinking most guests would get their Cantina experience by eating at the Cantina Restaurant that would have been adjacent to the bar. But they just built the bar.

Yes but even the bar is small. Thats the crazy part. If they got rid of the restaurant, then why not expand the bar area a bit? It would be different if DL had 10 bars in the place, but this literally the only one. And the only one in your new super themed land where you know people will want to hang around in. Make it a reasonable size that can fit more than 50 people.

The_Mesh_Hatter

Yes but even the bar is small. Thats the crazy part. If they got rid of the restaurant, then why not expand the bar area a bit? It would be different if DL had 10 bars in the place, but this literally the only one. And the only one in your new super themed land where you know people will want to hang around in. Make it a reasonable size that can fit more than 50 people.

They did not get rid of the restaurant; they delayed it.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Operations wants you in and out. They want to cycle as many people thru the land as possible. Seating is limited everywhere, not just at Cantina. Disney doesn’t want you lounging over your QSR meal, taking up space. They want you shopping, buying food, then making room for more guests.

The Cantina has room to expand in the future.
This makes me think that in the future when things have died down they will introduce the actual sitdown restaurant and offer it as a premium experience similar to Blue Bayou.

fctiger

Operations wants you in and out. They want to cycle as many people thru the land as possible. Seating is limited everywhere, not just at Cantina. Disney doesn’t want you lounging over your QSR meal, taking up space. They want you shopping, buying food, then making room for more guests.

The Cantina has room to expand in the future.

But you're in a bar, the only one in the park, you are literally there to buy drinks. No one goes to Starbucks and buy 4 coffees, at least normal people ;). But in a bar, you can get people buying all night if the atmosphere is right for it. And Disney knows that, because they are only expanding bar areas in other areas of the resort like the hotels and DTD. But then the one place you provide drinks at DL, you turn it into a hole the wall. I don't understand the thinking personally.

Rich T

If you only have 4 hours and only one chance at it for the next few months, how would you divide up your time between all there is to see and do?
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Alice in Wonderland, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Indy, Space Mountain, It's a Small World, Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, relaxing with some good food... got a little time left... shopping... Teacups... Casey Jr...... :D

Seriously, I can wait until the craziness has subsided.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom