Automatic Gratuity for large parties despite poor service

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
That's interesting. I've been dining in restaurants for more years than I care to admit, and no server has ever asked for my name. It's certainly not the practice at Disney. Imagine that - all those people with all of that education in hospitality and experience with service and no one has come up with that simple idea to improve service. One has to wonder why.
Maybe it's the guaranteed tips.

zbsigpi

Here’s what usually happens. Our group of 10 to 15 people is seated, and most times our party is served by only 1 waitress/waiter as to not share the tip on this huge check. If our group of 15 were at separate tables, the experience would be different and be better. But with one waitress serving our large party, everything moves at a snails pace. Water comes slowly, ordering around the table is slow, delivery of the food does come with help, but refills on drinks may or may not happen. After a 2 hour sit down, we have to expedite the check in order to make a fast pass or fireworks show. The huge dining bill comes, usually with great atmosphere, great food, friendly but SUBPAR service; and with with $100 tip on a $500 tab. Heck, If I waited tables, I would not want to share this tip either.

I am not here to say you are terrible person or that you did/did not receive sub par service!!!!!!
There are a few of your comments I would like to speak too though.

most times our party is served by only 1 waitress/waiter as to not share the tip on this huge check. - Most restaurants, the server has their section and other than a bus person who is taking care of multiple sections there are not others to just lend a hand quickly, Other servers unless asked for help do not cross those section lines. (more higher end restaurants do have multiple servers per section or the other server helps 2 sections. It is not due to the tip.

If our group of 15 were at separate tables, the experience would be different and be better. Not true unless sitting in multiple sections. Whether sitting at 1 table or 3-4 tables is the same for a server, they are still servicing 15 people at the same time.

But with one waitress serving our large party, everything moves at a snails pace. Water comes slowly, ordering around the table is slow, delivery of the food does come with help - With 15 people sitting at the same time everything takes longer. Take the time to do anything for a table of 4 and multiply that by 4. Taking a dinner order for 4 people may take say 4 minutes (1 minute per person) with a 15 top table you now have 15 minutes. Delivering beverages and food takes longer because of the need for multiple trips to the service station or kitchen.

refills on drinks may or may not happen. - If refills on beverages do not take place then that is the server fault.

After a 2 hour sit down, we have to expedite the check in order to make a fast pass or fireworks show - Let your server know before hand if you have a time limit. They can assist you in entree selections that may be quicker.. Ordering a med rare steak vs a well done steak. If the server follows the cues that the guests at the table are giving they may or may not drop the check. If the conversation is good and guests are having a good time they will let the guests enjoy and order more drinks, increasing the check and therefore the tip. Or if the guests look anxious then they will drop the check early. Failure to read the cue that the guests want to leave however is a servers fault.

As a former server we want nothing more than to give you great service, after all we are looking for the tip. Mis-steps sometimes happen. But to service a table of 15 people takes more time than most people realize.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Or maybe it’s a goofy idea. Just saying . .
So goofy that people use it. Maybe you haven't seen it... I have. I like it. I think it's a great idea when there's a large party that moves around, forgets orders, and does all those things that drive servers crazy.

Chi84

Premium Member
I've seen it at a local Chili's, an Olive Garden, faux English Pub, and a Greek sports pub. All of them seem to have nailed the dreaded "moving forgetful guest" problem down.
People can only determine credibility based on their judgment of what is reasonable and their life experiences. I’m sure that all the people who have been asked to provide their names while dining at table service restaurants (including Chili’s and Olive Garden) are with you 100%. I’m not buying it.

Last edited:

zbsigpi

100 bucks an hours? 200? 500?
Are you saying that servers make that much an hour?
If that were the case everyone would want to be a server!
People can only determine credibility based on their judgment of what is reasonable and their life experiences. I’m sure that all the people who have been asked to provide their names while dining at table service restaurants (including Chili’s and Olive Garden) are with you 100%. I’m not buying it.

As a former restaurant and banquet server, for large tables and even small ones I would make notes next to the menu selection of normally male/female and shirt color or other noticeable mark that would help in remembering what item when with who.
Asking for 1st names to me sounds a little informal. But if it works for some, do it!
If I were asked for my name I would give Mr. _______ , I do not know the server and they are probably younger than me so there for I am Mr. ________!!!! Me being old school and how I was raised.

Club Cooloholic

Are you saying that servers make that much an hour?
If that were the case everyone would want to be a server!

As a former restaurant and banquet server, for large tables and even small ones I would make notes next to the menu selection of normally male/female and shirt color or other noticeable mark that would help in remembering what item when with who.
Asking for 1st names to me sounds a little informal. But if it works for some, do it!
If I were asked for my name I would give Mr. _______ , I do not know the server and they are probably younger than me so there for I am Mr. ________!!!! Me being old school and how I was raised.
There is no restaurant I have ever been to where they asked my first name. Only case would be at the bar when you hand o e your credit card.
One more point on large groups. If a large group racks up an 800 dollar bill the server is expected to pay taxes that line up with a tip on that bill weather they get said tip or not. So after tipping out to all the help they get to bussers and bartenders they can lose money

zbsigpi

There is no restaurant I have ever been to where they asked my first name. Only case would be at the bar when you hand o e your credit card.
One more point on large groups. If a large group racks up an 800 dollar bill the server is expected to pay taxes that line up with a tip on that bill weather they get said tip or not. So after tipping out to all the help they get to bussers and bartenders they can lose money

I have never been asked for my name as well. Just saying that if it works for a server somewhere then good for them. As for the tip I agree. We were able to make our own decision to auto grat the check or not. I most of the time did not auto grat, sometime I made out better and sometime I lost out on the deal even with giving good service

ThanksPhoenicians

file.jpeg
Problem: Solved

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Clearly, you have never waited on a table in your entire life if you think a waiter should be expected to memorize the names of 20 people instantly.
Correct, I've never worked in food service in my life except as a volunteer bartender...
But there's no memorization required -- the waiters I've seen use this technique are smart enough to have a notepad or electronic device to write down orders with names. That way, when the food comes out, they just go "Larry?" I raise my hand, and I get my food. It works like a charm. Almost like magic.
Yeah, it is insane...
I guess crazy people think alike, because I give them crazy good tips when it all works out like that.

What's a crazy good tip? I figure 20% then round up to the nearest five, unless the bill is under $10, in which case I just tip $5.

Chi84

Premium Member
Correct, I've never worked in food service in my life except as a volunteer bartender...
But there's no memorization required -- the waiters I've seen use this technique are smart enough to have a notepad or electronic device to write down orders with names. That way, when the food comes out, they just go "Larry?" I raise my hand, and I get my food. It works like a charm. Almost like magic.

I guess crazy people think alike, because I give them crazy good tips when it all works out like that.

What's a crazy good tip? I figure 20% then round up to the nearest five, unless the bill is under $10, in which case I just tip $5.
I know you imagine that you’ve come up with a workable system, but outside of a super casual eatery in the most informal of locations, I don’t see this as a viable practice. We have been visiting WDW for over 30 years and have eaten in darn near every restaurant on property and it’s not done there. You’ll never see a server at California Grill or Yachtsman showing up at a large party with 12 plates of food and calling out across the table, “Larry? I’ve got a medium ribeye for Larry - raise your hand please. Next up is Diane. Wait wait that’s Diane S not Diane B.”

Restaurants have a system for delivering food to large parties without the overly familiar practice of asking for people’s first names. If you switch seats, just tell your server. Much easier than expecting the server to hold a food auction. You should nominate one of your local places for a Gordon Ramsay makeover. I would love to hear what he has say about this system. I imagine it would involve a lot of bleeped out words.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom