Disney slowly losing some of what made it special.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The problem is, it doesn't look like there is a breaking point. Thats why prices keep skyrocketing and they feel they can nickel and dime us with things like parking fees. Or charge full price for a park that at one point not that long ago, had 3 rides open.

We’re in a stock bubble economy...again...it’s just rigged differently this time so the elite can try to bail before it bottoms out.

That’s why people are sucking up every nonsense upsell in Orlando with a hose. It’s bread and circuses time.
Every crash just cuts deeper/hits Disney harder...as will the next one.

At any moment - we could see a drop that has the Disney management abruptly leave with absolutely no line of succession. That’s more than a real possibility...which is contrary to the stability that has been one of their foundation pillars.

Iger is riverboat gambling in many ways. They should appoint Kenny Rogers the next ceo.

eliza61nyc

That is true but a lot of people like myself have cut their trips. I know we are the minority right now. But in my (all be it small circle ) I hear more and more people tell me it was a one time trip, it was OK but too expensive too much hassle... Most had a good time but the experience didn't create that oh my god I need to start planning my next trip feeling. That won't do much in the short term, but down the road, that could take a really bad turn for Disney if they aren't careful.

It could but I do think Disney is careful. lol we just don't agree with their decisions. You have to admit that they are marketing geniuses. they know how to pimp out their product and get folks in. I think of all the ways disney pulls at the heartstrings.

Now most of my friends are dvc owners so they know they will be back at least every 16 months. Also (and I'm not implying that others don't travel) since my friends and I are all sliding into retirement ville we are traveling more. Yes absolutely Disney is expensive but as I ask all the time, where are all these destinations folks are going to that are cheap? I seriously can't find them.
I go to the shore on the East coast, usually NJ but some times Ocean city Md. a shore vacation is going to run you at least 2-3 thousand bucks. at least.
I posted a thread about the cost of food in the restaurant form. What "vacation" destination is the food truly inexpensive. People compare disney food prices to their hometowns, of course it's cheaper but sorry if you come to Philadelphia pa and eat down the block from the liberty bell, you are going to pay 40-50 dollars per person on dinner.

so the folks I know think travelling in itself is expensive.

6 more sleeps until I'm at the happiest place on the planet and this will be the 2nd of 3 trips just this year.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

We’re in a stock bubble economy...again...it’s just rigged differently this time so the elite can try to bail before it bottoms out.

That’s why people are sucking up every nonsense upsell in Orlando with a hose. It’s bread and circuses time.
Every crash just cuts deeper/hits Disney harder...as will the next one.

At any moment - we could see a drop that has the Disney management abruptly leave with absolutely no line of succession. That’s more than a real possibility...which is contrary to the stability that has been one of their foundation pillars.

Iger is riverboat gambling in many ways. They should appoint Kenny Rogers the next ceo.

Do you think that could be a good thing??? I'm going with maybe if the entire upper echelon got kicked to the curb, they could get some folks totally different from the current management. a new "vision" so to speak.

The bad thing would be that if the economy crashed bad enough to do that, lol I probably wouldn't be travelling anywhere.

erasure fan1

But that's how (most) businesses works. Prices increase to what the market can bear. I grew up in my family's restaurant (lol all the kids work it), my grandparents charged the most they could for their product. If the price was too high, stuff did not move.
Oh I am well aware of supply and demand. Now in your restaurant did you raise the prices and lower the quality and at the same time charge to park? Probably not. Raising prices until people stop consuming said product is a dangerous move. A lot of people never go back once you pass their threshold, even if you lower it again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It could but I do think Disney is careful. lol we just don't agree with their decisions. You have to admit that they are marketing geniuses. they know how to pimp out their product and get folks in.

Now most of my friends are dvc owners so they know they will be back at least every 16 months. Also (and I'm not implying that others don't travel) since my friends and I are all sliding into retirement ville we are traveling more. Yes absolutely Disney is expensive but as I ask all the time, where are all these destinations folks are going to that are cheap? I seriously can't find them.
I go to the shore on the East coast, usually NJ but some times Ocean city Md. a shore vacation is going to run you at least 2-3 thousand bucks. at least.
I posted a thread about the cost of food in the restaurant form. What "vacation" destination is the food truly inexpensive. People compare disney food prices to their hometowns, of course it's cheaper but sorry if you come to Philadelphia pa and eat down the block from the liberty bell, you are going to pay 40-50 dollars per person on dinner.

so the folks I know think travelling in itself is expensive.

I think Disney WAS careful.

Since I studied/experienced how they determined pricing...it’s a stark contrast these last ten years to me.

There was always a delicate balance between the increases and leaving a margin for future price hikes. The company tact was to have a self control approach that allowed steady advance while ensuring future stability and growth.

This clown is just trying to get to the door...doesn’t matter what happens the next day.

Say what you want about Michael Eisner...he wasn’t that guy. He was still a creative background who wanted to do things and get the ego bump afterwards.
Iger is a bland sitcom money dude who has spent 15 years of trying to worm in with the high profile accounting types at places like Sun Valley. Proving he “made it”.

Completely different animals...and the lens of history is already painting the picture for what that does.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do you think that could be a good thing??? I'm going with maybe if the entire upper echelon got kicked to the curb, they could get some folks totally different from the current management. a new "vision" so to speak.

The bad thing would be that if the economy crashed bad enough to do that, lol I probably wouldn't be travelling anywhere.

In the academic sense...I’d love to see a completely new slate of “creative” people swoop in. But that is not realistic in today’s Wall Street...which is on a daily search for profit...daily, quarterly, dividends...not what you want to see if you value stability.

The mechanisms preclude the type of talent they really need for 20 years of leadership. That’s the unfortunate scenario.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh I am well aware of supply and demand. Now in your restaurant did you raise the prices and lower the quality and at the same time charge to park? Probably not. Raising prices until people stop consuming said product is a dangerous move. A lot of people never go back once you pass their threshold, even if you lower it again.

This is what I often stress:
A disposable product does not recover once the perception it’s a ripoff or no longer desirable hits the mainstream consciousness.

Too many examples to quantify....but it’s assured.

If they ever reach the price “cliff”, you could see the catastrophic end to an institution. Not far fetched at all.

The General disney (with family influence) management mentality was always to peak over that cliff as much as possible without violating a safe distance. It’s what allowed them to be so consistent, resilient...even in bad times.

Tony the Tigger

The problem is, it doesn't look like there is a breaking point. Thats why prices keep skyrocketing and they feel they can nickel and dime us with things like parking fees. Or charge full price for a park that at one point not that long ago, had 3 rides open.

Are you that guy who goes from store to store buying giftcards on your chase card?

No.

Tony the Tigger

Everything you said was reasonable until you got to this.

You are the consumer...you never have to apologize for what you spent earlier at a Lower price. This mentality is why iger has floated doing stupid price tactics.

If I bought a Ford today...and it was a plastic piece of crap that is constantly in the shop...do I say “thanks” because a 97 Taurus i had ran like a beast??

...only Disney has their customers feeling guilty for not paying enough. Well...and Apple 😉

I barely understand this post. Nowhere am I apologizing or feeling guilty.

I live my life with an awareness of things to be grateful for. If 5 years from now I’m priced out of WDW, that’s really not a big deal in the big picture. I’ve gone and experienced WDW much more than the average person. So when I say I’d just be “grateful,” that doesn’t mean to Disney for making it affordable, it means just in general for my experiences, memories, and the ability to make them happen.

Hayley In Wonderland

I am a big Disney fan and long time lurker on this forum. 2nd generation DVC and coming since 94. My concerns are that in the time I have been coming I have seen a erosion of the unique. Examples would be the candy woman in Epcot Japan, Adventurer's club , egg painting in Germany etc. Also the reduced capacity at the rides to save pennies on slower park day's. As I compose this so many things come to mind that have been reduced or removed, from park hours to activities. Disney is foolish to do this. I am fine with the increasing costs but keep all the special things, park hours and ride capacity. The fan base has a lot of patience and love for the brand but it is fraying at the edges. My feelings may really only apply to a long time park goer. If you are only here once or twice you are so sensory over loaded you would never see what I am talking about.
Time moves, things go, that's what business is.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I barely understand this post. Nowhere am I apologizing or feeling guilty.

I live my life with an awareness of things to be grateful for. If 5 years from now I’m priced out of WDW, that’s really not a big deal in the big picture. I’ve gone and experienced WDW much more than the average person. So when I say I’d just be “grateful,” that doesn’t mean to Disney for making it affordable, it means just in general for my experiences, memories, and the ability to make them happen.

Agree to disagree...

The only power the consumer has is to keep the screws to the supplier when they futz with pricing and ask: “why?”

Never rest. I suggest that everyone be vocal about that even after they no longer go. Silence is encouragement.

Tony the Tigger

Agree to disagree...

The only power the consumer has is to keep the screws to the supplier when they futz with pricing and ask: “why?”

Never rest. I suggest that everyone be vocal about that even after they no longer go. Silence is encouragement.

I suggest find more important things to get upset about in life.

eliza61nyc

Absolutely! And I have to admit that's a hard question because I was a teen being forced into servitude so I did not pay attention. I do remember discussion (lol arguments) about purchasing items and the price per dish. I have a friend at my church who's trying to start her own custom tee shirt business and uses me a lot for a guinea pig, she makes beautiful shirts but at 40 bucks I'm like "no one is going to pay that much for a tee shirt".

I do know folks who think Disney is an excellent value simply for the fact that it's so "inclusive".

Now that brings us to another point and that is "experiences". I'm a native new yorker, plain and simple you pay to park all the time. I grew up in upper manhattan (Harlem) my parents building you pay an extra 240 month for your parking fee. Now I live in Philly, every year I spend 190 bucks to have the privilege of parking on the street. You buy a resident parking permit to allow you to park in your neighborhood without getting a ticket.

So I can't really understand why folks here are melting down over parking fees. quite literally I don't know anywhere except malls where parking is free. so in my world paying to park is such a non issue. now I do understand not liking to pay for some thing I use to get for free but in my world anywhere I go I either pay the meter for street parking or I pay a resort fee or I park in the garage.

erasure fan1

So I can't really understand why folks here are melting down over parking fees. quite literally I don't know anywhere except malls where parking is free. so in my world paying to park is such a non issue.
And that is why this is so subjective. I don't know anywhere that has parking fees unless its a parking garage or private event parking... I've vacationed in Florida for over 40yrs, never paid a parking fee for a hotel, place to eat or shop... 30 plus visits over 40 yrs and I've never paid parking at disney. And now, at a time of record profit, they add it. Its not like they don't have the spaces and over demand deems that they need to thin it out. Collect parking fees plus hope people don't leave the property, its a win win for them. Pure money grab plain and simple because they can. That's why people have lost their minds over it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And that is why this is so subjective. I don't know anywhere that has parking fees unless its a parking garage or private event parking... I've vacationed in Florida for over 40yrs, never paid a parking fee for a hotel, place to eat or shop... 30 plus visits over 40 yrs and I've never paid parking at disney. And now, at a time of record profit, they add it. Its not like they don't have the spaces and over demand deems that they need to thin it out. Collect parking fees plus hope people don't leave the property, its a win win for them. Pure money grab plain and simple because they can. That's why people have lost their minds over it.

Disclaimer: I am not in this boat...but I’m trying to be fair...

The outrage - which is limited - over parking fees appear to be the cumulative effect.
Parking fees are the figurehead for ticket increases, upsells before and after a short park day, upsells for all night Time shows, fastpass clogging that are for sale for limited spenders. Standby lines that don’t move, lyfts to get you to overpriced buffets cause they decline to do it with internal transport, pet fees on no notice whether you want animals next to your $300 room or not, dining plan increases and menu charges going up as they “outduel” each other...

It’s the picture...not just bob ross’s “Happy tree” in the middle.

That’s what it seems. Definitely overstated by types like me on these boards...but a reasonable extrapolation is that there is some public fire behind the smoke. Something to watch.

eliza61nyc

Oh god I'm moving to Florida, lol. I live in Philly and every year I have to buy a parking sticker for 3 cars at 60 bucks a car. It allows me to park on the street.

eliza61nyc

Disclaimer: I am not in this boat...but I’m trying to be fair...

The outrage - which is limited - over parking fees appear to be the cumulative effect.
Parking fees are the figurehead for ticket increases, upsells before and after a short park day, upsells for all night Time shows, fastpass clogging that are for sale for limited spenders. Standby lines that don’t move, lyfts to get you to overpriced buffets cause they decline to do it with internal transport, pet fees on no notice whether you want animals next to your $300 room or not, dining plan increases and menu charges going up as they “outduel” each other...

It’s the picture...not just bob ross’s “Happy tree” in the middle.

That’s what it seems. Definitely overstated by types like me on these boards...but a reasonable extrapolation is that there is some public fire behind the smoke. Something to watch.

Wow, thanks Sir. I really never thought about it like that. :) I just thought, parking fee, big deal eveyone and their mama charges a parking fee. at least every hotel I've been to (not including motels) but that makes perfect sense.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom