Hate for childless Disney fans

LUVofDIS

I never experienced anyone putting me down for going to WDW without kids. I think more people are amazed that we go multiple times a year, not because we have no kids but because of the prices. Also, I think many people believe once you hit 18 that amusement parks cant be that interesting.

I have a friend who took his wife and child to WDW and he played golf the whole time while his wife took the daughter to the parks. He just had no interest. I personally have no interest in playing golf or watching any sports, I understand why people do, I just have no interest. I love to play though, but those same people wont play if I ask, I have to get the kids to play. I cant understand why or how people can spend that much money or time watching something that boring. So I see how they can perceive me going to WDW.

My wife and I were on the cusp of being late for TSM fast pass, so we began to jog to the ride, a guy with a stroller said something about, "just because you don't have kids doesn't mean you can run in the park". I think that was the most hate I ever felt, but I had to get to TSM so I didn't care.

donaldtoo

My apologies for not having read the whole thread, but, I did catch a coupla’ posts from others that I can relate to...
We have been to WDW a few times with our 3, childless ;), adult children (although, oldest DD is expecting our first grandchild - a girl - in Oct. :inlove::happy:) and SonIL...I could say “Hhmmm...I wonder what some people think about that?”
But, I don’t (at least not verbally to their face :hilarious:, or on an open forum ;)) judge others for their leisure/vacation choices, so, I, ultimately, don’t give a rats bloated beeeeehind what they think about mine...while we’re enjoying our time with our choice, the last thought that could EVER possibly cross my mind is what others think of those choices...how can you relax thinking about what others think...? :cyclops:
Sometimes, people think waaaaayyy too much about things that don’t need it, and too little about things that do...Pooh moments...?!!! ;):)

World_Showcase_Lover007

People are very ill-informed and very ignorant. They also are opposed to seeing things in a different perspective. It has always been this way, but social media just allows us to see how many ridiculous people there actually are in the world.

I listen to WDW podcasts in the car everyday going back and forth to work. I get some strange looks from friends and family when this comes up in conversation, but they just don’t get it, and I guess I can’t explain it well enough to them. But WDW makes me smile, and those people don’t.

DisneyDaver

Lately I feel like I have been seeing more and more hate for those Disney fans that are childless. Between twitter and Facebook-I see people making fun of those adults who vacation at Disney without kids.

My husband and I do not have kids yet, and some of our favorite trips have been to WDW just the two of us. Of course we travel to other locations, but what’s so wrong about two adults enjoying Epcot or Animal Kingdom?

What thoughts do you have on the subject?

My friends make fun of me (in a friendly way) for my love of WDW and adult only visits. I'm sure there are many people who can be nasty about it. It doesn't bother me. I enjoy adult only visits to WDW and don't care what others think of it.

I am Timmy

My daughter and I went to Disney when she was 8, and almost every year since. She's 22 now and I'm so fortunate that she still loves going with her Mom. We'll be there in five weeks and we can't wait. We never feel out of place as adults. Everyone turns into a kid at Disney!
This! My boys are 26 & 23, and we've been going multiple times a year since they were tiny. We still go. Together. Now it's a group of adults family instead of a couple with 2 littles. We are a diehard Disney family with no shame (except DH doesn't always get to come due to work schedule - so sometimes it's 3), and my boys still see it as their home away from home. And they let me come along. Every time.

I am Timmy

Also, my life is very relaxing. I'm a homemaker with a special needs son (26) on disability who only likes to leave the house for DW (I do get him out for other things, like comic con, or going to the store) and a son (23) at uni that we happen to live near so he can live at home. We have a pool to lounge by in the warm months. I cozy up with DH and read in the cold months. In the in between times we spend time hanging out together. Our lives are pretty chill. So when we vacation............ we want STUFF TO DO. We do not want to relax, we need action and excitement. DW provides this in spades - so many different types of entertainment that every one in the group can enjoy. I'm aware plenty of people don't get it, I am so sorry for them. Their lives must be mundane and joyless (there I go assuming things about the non-disney folks!). As for me and mine, we will disney.

Kevin_W

Even when we're there for a week, maybe it's just us, but there's always so many things to do in the parks, we haven't been in a resort pool the last 5 or so trips. Every year we plan to hit the pool at our resort of choice (AoA), and every year on the ride back home I always say, "You know what we didn't get a chance to do?" LOL

That happens to us a lot as well! We have pools at home, but we don't have a safari, or space mountain, etc.

Nottamus

We've been to WDW 8 times in four years. First four trips were cash trips....then we ended up buying into DVC for the last 4 trips. (and future trips)

The first bit of flack came from family - "you guys don't have any kids, why Disney world?"
co workers - "DISNEY world?? really"

I started off defending our decision to do this twice a year. Some tried making me feel funny for not taking an 'adult' trip. Which apparently is a cruise? sitting on a beach? going to a resort where all there is to do is eat and sit on a beach?

Meh. You can do ALL of that in WDW, PLUS be a kid again. Be an adult. Ride a Banshee. Eat a Dolewhip. Be whatever you want to be.

at 52 & 53 we totally love our vacations. AKL in the spring and fall, and NJ poolside at home for the summer.

ElvisMickey

I think that what some of those people don't get is that there are many of us who are interested in Disney as a whole where it's not just the parks. I grew up going to WDW on vacation as a child of the 80s. I've taken solo trips to WDW since I was 19. I worked for the Disney Store for several years. But my Disney passion is more about Walt, the history of the company, the films, the business side, etc. I'm just not showing up at the Magic Kingdom, running to the Mine Train with a Mickey ice cream bar in my hand. I had the opportunity to relocate to the Orlando area with my company from NJ in 2013 and my passion for Disney is obviously what brought me here. I live 30 minutes away from WDW, I'm an AP holder and I go at least once a week, the majority of the time solo. I'm single with no kids. I'm sure those same people who are the subject of this discussion would find that ridiculous. But guess what? Who cares. I've never been one to care about what anyone thinks. And you know what they say about opinions...

Michaelson

When we go without the grandson with our older daughter and her husband, we call it 'adulting'.

We earned the right to enjoy our vacation by getting up and going to work the other 50 weeks of the year, so we're going to enjoy those two weeks we EARNED!

If/when we take the grandson (currently 3 years old), we'll still enjoy the trip......just at a slower pace, and with fewer 'adult' stops.

Regards! Michaelson

donaldtoo

People are very ill-informed and very ignorant. They also are opposed to seeing things in a different perspective. It has always been this way, but social media just allows us to see how many ridiculous people there actually are in the world.

I listen to WDW podcasts in the car everyday going back and forth to work. I get some strange looks from friends and family when this comes up in conversation, but they just don’t get it, and I guess I can’t explain it well enough to them. But WDW makes me smile, and those people don’t.

There's an old saying that a member related to our love of Disney that I first read on the first Disney forum I joined back in May 0f '07, that most here have probably already seen or heard...
"For those that get it, no explanation is needed. For those that don't, no explanation will do." ;):)

Last edited:

righttrack

You're mostly seeing this from people who just don't understand Disney as well as we all do. There are lots of parts of WDW that you can't really explore well with children. Drinking around the world would be an example of that. You could argue Victoria and Alberts is best child-free as well. Clubbing on the Boardwalk and Disney Springs would be another.

There's a converse to this and that is taking the family to Las Vegas. People react the same way to this as the OP, but there is so much to do there that doesn't involve drinking and gambling.

Missymoe4

I don't care what people say about me going to Disney childless. I'm a high school teacher. I have enough "kids".

Here's a story that happened to me last year. I was walking up to the security checkpoint as a mother with lots of baggage cuts in front of me, right at the table (in front of the Disney security guard who said nothing!). Annoyed, yet polite, I called her out and said she had cut in front of me, but since we were in Disney, I'd let it go. Her response: "You don't have kids with you, so where do you have to go so fast?" She continued to ramble (under her breath) about me not having kids and how rude I was to call her out on cutting.

The lady had bag after bag with her and the guard was taking forever. Another guard called me over to her table and I sailed through security. As I turned around, I saw that this lady was then being pulled to the side to go through the walk through security check (I don't know the name of it).

I got the last laugh. The lady that was in a rush and made some harsh comments to me about visiting Disney without kids didn't sail through security as she planned.

Last edited:

Missymoe4

KBLovedDisney

Although, my partner usually says... "Tom, just stop, you're gonna get us killed." How, with a ***** pack? F-a-n-n-y is censored? What if we talk about Funny Girl, the ***** Brice Story!
Ha! I asked my hubby about this the other day and he informed me that the *bleep* pack (other than the word pack) means something bad in the UK, I think? Like it's another name for something bad.

smile

Lately I feel like I have been seeing more and more hate for those Disney fans that are childless. Between twitter and Facebook-I see people making fun of those adults who vacation at Disney without kids.

My husband and I do not have kids yet, and some of our favorite trips have been to WDW just the two of us. Of course we travel to other locations, but what’s so wrong about two adults enjoying Epcot or Animal Kingdom?

What thoughts do you have on the subject?

been on this earth how long and can't recognize jealousy when you see it? ;)

walking around san kids? haha...
try being a lone male - like walt used to do :cool:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom