Rumor Pixar's Coco coming to the Mexico Pavilion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you are trying to make a point on amount of merch. However, my Toys R' Us has just as much Coco as Frozen.

My point is actually that during frozen the toy stores DIDNT have any...because they couldn't get it fast enough.

I was very skeptical of labeling frozen a "phenomenon" such as many on places like this did...
...but it was also not the standard issue disney animated. Like moana or princess and the frog or even tangled...they have a "life cycle" that flashes and then they fall back in line with movies like Tarzan or Mulan...liked and recognized but not themepark IP.

Coco can't be classified as frozen. It's just not on that plane.

I think the only reason frozen exists is the push on it coupled with a bunch of bizarre circumstances/operational agendas.

The main thing an overlay has going for getting approved is the resort and MGM construction/potential crush.

They need Epcot to be in a 3 way attendance race with MGM and mk and they got caught flat footed.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The size of the Latino market v. the size of the Nordic market.

Ahhh...the game is on...

...now figure out those demographic's representation in wdw. And how it compares to the dominant travelers - WASPs basically - or some Southern European, Catholicism washed variant of a wasp?

...I guarantee all those demos beat the swedes though, however...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Coco can't be classified as frozen. It's just not on that plane.

I think the only reason frozen exists is the push on it coupled with a bunch of bizarre circumstances/operational agendas.

The main thing an overlay has going for getting approved is the resort and MGM construction/potential crush.

They need Epcot to be in a 3 way attendance race with MGM and mk and they got caught flat footed.

Nothing has been in the plane of Frozen for a long time and may not be in the future. That doesn't mean that Disney won't stop using their own IP in the parks for their marketing synergy. You are assuming "because of X, Disney does Y. And now we have a case of Z, therefor, Disney won't do Y again." That's fallacious thinking. Disney is not beholden to what they have done in the past, and, they might have other reasons for doing Y.

Besides being perfect for Mexico, Coco is easily folded into the yearly Halloween events.

You came on these forums declaring yourself somewhat of a Disney expert. It is clear you don't have any insider knowledge. It is also clear that you don't even fully understand how Disney operates from an outsider expert point of view.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Nothing has been in the plane of Frozen for a long time and may not be in the future. That doesn't mean that Disney won't stop using their own IP in the parks for their marketing synergy. You are assuming "because of X, Disney does Y. And now we have a case of Z, therefor, Disney won't do Y again." That's fallacious thinking. Disney is not beholden to what they have done in the past, and, they might have other reasons for doing Y.

Besides being perfect for Mexico, Coco is easily folded into the yearly Halloween events.

You came on these forums declaring yourself somewhat of a Disney expert. It is clear you don't have any insider knowledge. It is also clear that you don't even fully understand how Disney operates from an outsider expert point of view.

You made all that up...because it's what you want to believe on a quick assessment. I've been there...stay tuned.

And my point...since you're snarking...is that frozen was huge and it got the rare immediate ride...which then took 18 months to install...

Now, a coco overlay would obviously be cheaper/easier to implement so I agree it's possible...it just doesn't fit the model that management has established TO THIS POINT.

Will the model change? Maybe...it would be a good thing.

And integration with Halloween at Epcot would be great...problem is that they don't have it. It's boothville and as long as the people keep lining up, not going to change.

Now...b r e a t h e...

I'm blunt, but incredibly fair...you made a bit of a clown of yourself back there...because you lashed out on what your impression was, not the debate points. Check the record of the iger regime on wdw operations/capex...it's not all that fantastic. The beauty there is its becoming not his choice because of the rest of disney portfolio. Good for customers...at least party.

I'm trying to process all of what's going here...so to summarize:
New country pavilion (can't go further than that)
New ride in UK...don't know which way that's turning yet
Coco overlay
To be completed by 2023 on top of the slate announced 7/2017?

Boy...I hope so. Nobody will defend the honor of Epcot like me...seems like asking a lot.

But as I was assured...this isn't JHM...and the reputation for predictions from those such as Martin is more than worthy to garner benefit of the doubt. I think my skepticism is actually quite low/reasonable now.

Expect Brazil...when pigs fly there. They can prove me wrong and I'll be all for it.

Oh...and the reason they're doing "y" is that espn is crashing and they need the profit to boost the portolio of a CEO and board running for the door. That's not a government secret.
But where we agree...I think ...is that it may change the stagnant/measured approach to construction down in the Riviera...that could be what's going on and if so, we can meet up for a Turkey leg and discuss over drinks with new rides in the background. Everybody wins.

Last edited:

Magic Feather

the size of the Nordic market.
(Waves)
To be completed by 2023 on top of the slate announced 7/2017?
Consider the EPCOT Slate to be Three Phases:

By 2020:
Rat
Coco
By 2021:
I:WotW (well... Maybe not that incarnation)
Guardians
Coco
UK
By 2023:
Hotel (Maybe bumped to '21)
New Country
Another FW reno in West that is not Imagination!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
(Waves)

By 2020:
Rat
Coco
By 2021:
Guardians
Coco
UK
By 2023:
New Country

See...in linear form without name calling...I am open to anything.

You'll admit that that plan represents a "significant deviation" from the progress or lack there off at Epcot since Eisner killed the Dreamfinder? That's not really debatable.

DisneyFan18

(Waves)

By 2020:
Rat
Coco
By 2021:
Guardians
Coco
UK
By 2023:
New Country
Magic Feather, sorry to bother you, but since you posted Coco two times in the timeline, I didn’t understand if Gran Fiesta is closing in 2020 for a 2021 opening of Coco or is it still not decided if Coco is opening in 2020 or 2021?

Princess Leia

(Waves)

By 2020:
Rat
Coco
By 2021:
Guardians
Coco
UK
By 2023:
New Country
Feather, you have Coco listed twice. Is that to mean it’s coming in either year?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ratatouille and Tron are even less popular.

Yet here we are

Tron is kinda like the princess bride or dirty dancing...it just won't die. How else would a box office flop get a sequel 30 years later?

And ratatouille is a clone...i think the original ride has to be assessed for the "why"? Not the clone.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Magic Feather, sorry to bother you, but since you posted Coco two times in the timeline, I didn’t understand if Gran Fiesta is closing in 2020 for a 2021 opening of Coco or is it still not decided if Coco is opening in 2020 or 2021?

Feather, you have Coco listed twice. Is that to mean it’s coming in either year?

According to @marni1971, Gran Fiesta will close maybe around late 2019 and Coco will be open in 2020.

Unless the 2021 date is the overlay for Coco's sequel: Coco and the Night of the Living Dead.

MrHappy

Y...you made a bit of a clown of yourself back there....
Not that he needs it, but I'm gonna have to defend the honor of @MisterPenguin here. His contributions to the Forums are incredibly appreciated. So whether you actually are new to here, or a reincarnation of someone else, it would be best advised to wield your impressive knowledge of WDW with a bit more class. Play nice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not that he needs it, but I'm gonna have to defend the honor of @MisterPenguin here. His contributions to the Forums are incredibly appreciated. So whether you actually are new to here, or a reincarnation of someone else, it would be best advised to wield your impressive knowledge of WDW with a bit more class. Play nice.

I'm not even debating that.

But that was an "e-mugging" without provocation.

I'm sarcastic...I play with the words...guilty as charged. But what I don't do is go on a personal insult rant...but have received many on the other side of the tracks. If you look at what I type as "healthy skepticism"...rather than "dismissal"...it reads totally differently.

Class?...I invite you to reread the thread and watch where it goes off kilter...

I'll accept my part for playing the fool in ONE sentence. My bad. Doesn't excuse the rest of it.

And I'm not a reincarnate of anyone here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom