Umm 21st Century Fox Purchase?

MichRX7

Premium Member
Stop building so much bob... the parks are fine..

Uhh... disagree. I'm sure the quote below includes WDW as well, or I will weep for the loss of imagination in this world.

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
~Walt Disney

Gatorboy

Interesting all the speculation, some wrong info and some I didn’t know. I believe this is exactly what is needed. I think most are buried in the what if’s. To me it’s relatively easy. The parts of 21st Century Disney is interested in is production, channels, and it’s hude library. Creating a streaming service to compete with Netflix, will take a huge amount of content, new and old. As far as what it includes, many under developed franchises that Disney could restart. As for R rated or adult films, 21st Century Pictures. Just another extension of the Disney’s other studios. Something not mentioned is the 30% stake in Hulu, which with Disney’s 30% would give them controlling interest. Along with cable channels FX (by the way means special effects, not adult content), National Geographic (tied to Disney Nature perhaps) Just dropping the Fox name and using 21st Century divides association with parts not bought. 21st has more global connections than Disney and would also expand Disney’s reach. Starz was mentioned, it’s owed wholly by Lionsgate now. For closure, how bout a Russian Pavillion with a Anastasia ride. Just saying

Robbiem

If this deal goes through it will be interesting to see who ends up with the 20th century fox name and logos etc they are one of the most iconic logos in cinema on a par with the paramount mountain, Leo the MGM lion and the WB shield. Perhaps DHS or WDSP would be renamed Disney fox studios?

seascape

I get blew this one. He had the negotiations to just Disney and Fox but now everyone is jumping in. Great for Fix shareholders but bad for Disney or whoever gets them.

The one question I have concerns the Marvel Characters, did the contract with Fox state as many do that the company is sold the rights revert back to Marvel.

Gatorboy

Disney definitely now has the most to lose if another company buys 21st. Comcast would not only increase it’s content, it would also have distribution from both cable and streaming from majority stake in Hulu. Amazon’s ownership brings in another player with streaming ability that now would have content production. Sony would get a much bigger cut into the market and be able to buy all assets as they don’t own a network. Disney would lose an opportunity to get back major IP’s or have them sold to a rival. Maybe they could team up with Sony, Disney buying the assets mentioned before, with Sony buying the Fox broadcasting networks and sports networks. Strengthens Sony, Disney gets what it wants, and I’m sure 21st would get more selling assets separately than a Amazon or Verizon buying the whole. Iger needs to work his magic and make this happen. As for antitrust laws, I don’t see a problem. Market share would be under 50% and everyone knows that can switch in an instant in the movie business. Also, I don’t see the government going after Google Microsoft or Amazon who all are closer to monopolies in their fields

Mmoore29

Murdoch and family clearly want a deal, and they are determined to sell 20th Century Fox by whatever means necessary. Well, that's quite pleasing. Good riddance to his empire. Regardless of what side of the political spectrum you're on, I think we can agree that we don't want American entertainment and media to become what Murdoch managed to do in Australia.

As for the deal, I can see it as very likely that all three companies are going to get different slices of the pie. Disney wants the films, Sony the networks, Comcast the satellite rights, or something like that.

Cmdr_Crimson

Looks like it's still on the table in regards to talks...http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/disney-fox-sale-talks-comcast-1202628942/

It would mean all of these guys would be under the mouse house considering how they have mocked Disney in The Simpsons & Family Guy...
6d9595520787dcae113d64f02622a13f--american-dad-bobs-burgers.jpg

Ripken10

I saw that Disney's stocks had quite a big jump today (at the time they are over $5.50 up for the day, which if it holds would be the largest gain for Disney in over 28 months (I believe the largest gain was $3.60 from day open to close in last 28 months). So it's significant. I did some searching and apparently it is because of this POTENTIAL deal (https://www.thestreet.com/story/144...sky-surges-on-report-of-renewed-fox-deal.html). Not saying wall street is always right, but often times the fluxuation in a stock is a good indicator when something seems like it might be coming...

2351metalcloud

Some people on here seem to think Disney World had better theming coherence and guiding ideas behind theming in the 80s and 90s compared to the present. What would some of you who think Disney doesn't do theming of Disney World as well as they used to think of Disney building at least one theme park in the United States centered around movies and tv shows made by the Fox company or shows/movies made by companies acquired by Fox that would be more similar in the theming method to modern Universal Studios than 80s and 90s Disney world while trying to make Disney World's theming coherence and guiding ideas more similar to what they were like in the 80s and 90s than the present?

Would you guys like that and/or think it would be a good idea? I can imagine some people might worry that if it was very successful some people might worry that Disney might try to change to Disney World to have theming coherence and guiding ideas similar to that Fox park and modern Universal Orlando if Disney thought it would be financially more beneficial over some given period of time into the future.

I was thinking they could build a Fox park in Missouri, Texas, or Arkansas. An idea I thought was interesting would be to build a Fox theme park near a Marvel Studios/Marvel theme park. You could have the X-Men be a way to connect the two parks if it was desired like the Hogwarts train in Universal Studios of Orlando. There would be something to do with X-Men in both parks and transportation between the two parks stopping at the areas in each park. Maybe there could even be a third theme park just about mutants in Marvel movies, tv shows, and comics in the far future if movies and tv shows about them could be popular enough to justify such a thing. That seems like it could be unlikely however.

Having a separate Marvel park in Missouri or elsewhere in the US could allow Disney to build Marvel theme park attractions, but not have them in Disney World or Disneyland like I have seen some people on here complain about.

Maybe Disney someday could have a Disney theme park in St. Louis and a Fox and Marvel park further west inside Missouri. There was an old idea for a park in St. Louis when Walt Disney was alive, but I imagine a new park built in St. Louis wouldn't be too similar or would include more than just the building that was thought of for those plans.

Also, what would some of you all think of Disney building attractions that take place in the time period covered by the Star Wars Original Trilogy and the Prequel Trilogy in one or more Fox theme parks rather than in a Disney theme park or in a Fox park in addition to a Disney park like in a Fox park in the US and in Disneyland Paris? Fox distributed the Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy Star Wars movies.

Last edited:

seascape

CNBC reports deal is close and could happen as early as next week. Deal is for stock so Disney will be using treasury shares and assume some large amount of debt. Overall it will be a great deal for Disney in the long run.

seascape

Where did you see that they will be using treasury stock?
It is reported as a stock transaction. That means they will give something like 1 share of Disney stock for about 4 shares of Fox. The only way for them to do that is using shares they own, i.e. treasury stock from previous buybacks. The exact value is a guess but since its reported as a 60 billion dollar deal including assuming Fox debt the best guess I have is a 4 to 1 trade. It could be 3 for 1 but that would value Fox well over 60 billion just for what they are buying with the existing owners still owning quite a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom