Bob Iger's contract is extended

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
He said:

Bob Iger is not going to leave "the wreckage of the once great TWDC" behind. The Walt Disney Company is currently enjoying the most success that it has ever seen. People are acting as though ESPN is the company; it's not. Yes, ESPN is faltering for a variety of reasons. But that is not going to destroy the company. Literally every other business unit of the company, including Parks and Resorts, is prospering and we are seeing the largest ever investment in park expansion taking place right now.

Sure, anything is possible, but I don't see either the company itself or P&R going anywhere.
Oh, by the way, I don't own any DIS. How about you?

jt04

Laugh now, The tears will cone soon enough.

Ive watched too many companies crash and burn and been a part of a couple where i was the last manager out of the HQ facility and fedexed the keys to the building owner.

Perhaps you were more of the problem than the solution.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Literally every other business unit of the company, including Parks and Resorts, is prospering and we are seeing the largest ever investment in park expansion taking place right now.

Really?

DIS - 2017Q3 Segment Results.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Could that happen to Disney? Sure. Is it going to happen in the next couple of years because of ESPN? Not a chance.

Yes, ESPN is sinking. But it is not ready to go bankrupt yet, and there are many options that Disney has to either turn it around, sell it, spin it off, or shut it down. Also, for as much attention as ESPN gets, ESPN is not Disney. Disney is a much, much, much larger and more diverse organization than that and virtually every other business unit of Disney has been very successful in recent years.

The problem with ESPN is Disney overpaid for rights and the sports leagues are not going to let Disney out of those contracts.

The problem is that Disney is on the hook for tens of billions in rights payments through 2025 or so, The big cable deal with Altice where Iger thought he was going to double the rates went splat Disney got a little more money but nowhere near what Disney wanted because Altice was willing to walk away from Disney's content.

The usual corporate shuffle of spinning off a declining unit so it can implode on its own is not going to work in this case as the leagues will spin it to the courts as 'buyers remorse'.

Disney really only has two options sell it to a deep pocketed entity or declare bankruptcy to allow the contracts to be restructured.

The rest of ESPN's issues are easily fixable,

The overpaying for rights are not fixable easily Disney should have but did not include step down clauses which would have reduced the rights payments if subscription income went down due to factors beyond Disney's control.

Lets face its no accident that Bob says im leaving immediately after the Altice deal went south recall in earnings call Iger said that 'significant' increases in cable rates were in the cards due to 'strong demand' for Disney content. Well the market just said otherwise.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Perhaps you were more of the problem than the solution.

No in those cases it was management looting the company treasury which is precisely why I say the things do ive seen and lived this story and got the scars and the t-shirt.

i was an operations guy you know the managers who are actually responsible for something other than powepoint presentations

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Matt Ouimet is stepping down as CEO of Cedar Fair at the end of this year. Maybe he can take over?

I like Matt Ouimet. Seems like a quiet, humble guy who prefers to let the results of his efforts do the talking, like what he did at DCL and at Disneyland for the park's 50th. I cannot see any way he'd want to come back to the company that basically dumped him for having higher aspirations within the company. Plus, it sounds like he's staying on at Cedar Fair as an adviser and as Executive Chairman of the Board.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I like Matt Ouimet. Seems like a quiet, humble guy who prefers to let the results of his efforts do the talking, like what he did at DCL and at Disneyland for the park's 50th. I cannot see any way he'd want to come back to the company that basically dumped him for having higher aspirations within the company. Plus, it sounds like he's staying on at Cedar Fair as an adviser and as Executive Chairman of the Board.

Well it was a typical "Today's Disney" move, Save two of our most important B/U's - your fired for embarrassing 'The Powers That Be because Matt fixed what they screwed up', For The ordinary CM - P&R turns in a record quarter "CM's your reward is a pay cut"...

Do we really WANT to give money to a company that does things like that???

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Iger can see the writing on the wall, ESPN effectively goes bankrupt about 2020 if subscribers keep ditching cable at current rate.

The Bob's will float off on their golden parachutes leaving the wreckage of the once great TWDC behind.

A 'Private Equity' will come in and we will look at the Iger years as a golden age.

Think UNI under Blackstone as your model.

After that once the hotels sold off to Hilton/Marriott/Lowes.

Then Six Flags over WDW will be the end game.

It's not going to be pretty kiddies

What's that, boy? A wolf?!

Ok, sure, we'll get right on that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom