Jedi Training Academy to close to reopen later this year as 'Jedi Training - Trials of the Temple'

Matt_Black

Nah, that's describing a millennial.lol

Ah-ha! It's actually a quote from Socrates describing the youth of his day! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: Don't get into an argument with me because I'm always right! Ah-ha-ha-haaaa!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wait, I didn't know this. Star Wars Land is only based on the new movies?
I guess so. It was news to me too. According to Disney, Galaxy Edge takes place on a planet not from the movies but lines up with the timeline of the new trilogy so it's OK for new trilogy characters to visit that world but not ones who died in the old trilogy. Star Wars fanboys will riot if any classic characters appear in the land other than droids or characters that made it to Force Awakens like Chewie. They are losing out on some great characters like Yoda, Vader, Darth Maul, Bobba Fett, etc

21stamps

I guess so. It was news to me too. According to Disney, Galaxy Edge takes place on a planet not from the movies but lines up with the timeline of the new trilogy so it's OK for new trilogy characters to visit that world but not ones who died in the old trilogy. Star Wars fanboys will riot if any classic characters appear in the land other than droids or characters that made it to Force Awakens like Chewie. They are losing out on some great characters like Yoda, Vader, Darth Maul, Bobba Fet, etc

Wow. That's so strange. How can Yoda and Darth Vader not be represented?! There's even some great characters from Rogue One that I'm surprised they wouldn't want to capitalize on.

This is shocking.

Ah-ha! It's actually a quote from Socrates describing the youth of his day! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - the most famous of which is "never get involved in a land war in Asia" - but only slightly less well-known is this: Don't get into an argument with me because I'm always right! Ah-ha-ha-haaaa!

Why do I feel like this is a Princess Bride joke? Is there a similar line in that movie?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Wow. That's so strange. How can Yoda and Darth Vader not be represented?! There's even some great characters from Rogue One that I'm surprised they wouldn't want to capitalize on.

This is shocking.

Why do I feel like this is a Princess Bride joke? Is there a similar line in that movie?
Yes, Princess Bride...classic movie

I don't disagree about missing out on characters. I guess the thought is they could still appear in other parts of the park but not within the new land. Seems like a big miss to me too. I love Star Wars but I'd prefer all of the SW material stays in the SW Land and the rest of the park has other stuff.

doctornick

Wait, I didn't know this. Star Wars Land is only based on the new movies?

Well, it is based on the timeframe of the new (current) triology. That's why the big ride (the battle escape ride codenamed "Alcatraz") has the First Order as the antagonists. Disney is going for full immersion with the land and that includes having consistency for the storytelling elements.

We don't really know if there will be M&Gs in the land, but presumably there will be as that's a Disney staple. It so, the most likely choices are Kylo Ren, Chewbacca and BB-8 -- like they currently have in Launch Bay -- but I guess they could consider C-3PO, R2-D2, Rey, Captain Phasma, or even old man Luke if they wanted and still be consistent with the timeframe of the land.

As for Vader or other earlier period characters... as mentioned, the current Jedi Training conceit if that these are Force induced illusions, not the "real" characters, so you could still have a similar training with a similar premise and have Vader or Maul or so on. But we still have never heard of a similar type of concept going to exist in SW:GE. I would hope they have some smaller attractions like that present though.

Getting back to the timeframe of the land, my hope is that when/if they build a second Star Wars land in WDW -- you know it will happen eventually -- that they may the setting of that land as being the original trilogy and can use the "real" Vader, Yoda, Obi-Wan, etc..

21stamps

Well, it is based on the timeframe of the new (current) triology. That's why the big ride (the battle escape ride codenamed "Alcatraz") has the First Order as the antagonists. Disney is going for full immersion with the land and that includes having consistency for the storytelling elements.

We don't really know if there will be M&Gs in the land, but presumably there will be as that's a Disney staple. It so, the most likely choices are Kylo Ren, Chewbacca and BB-8 -- like they currently have in Launch Bay -- but I guess they could consider C-3PO, R2-D2, Rey, Captain Phasma, or even old man Luke if they wanted and still be consistent with the timeframe of the land.

As for Vader or other earlier period characters... as mentioned, the current Jedi Training conceit if that these are Force induced illusions, not the "real" characters, so you could still have a similar training with a similar premise and have Vader or Maul or so on. But we still have never heard of a similar type of concept going to exist in SW:GE. I would hope they have some smaller attractions like that present though.

Getting back to the timeframe of the land, my hope is that when/if they build a second Star Wars land in WDW -- you know it will happen eventually -- that they may the setting of that land as being the original trilogy and can use the "real" Vader, Yoda, Obi-Wan, etc..

This thread is the first time that I've heard JTA was supposed to be illusions.
I'll keep that a secret from my kid.lol

It will be strange to not have any classic Star Wars characters in the new land.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

It will be strange to not have any classic Star Wars characters in the new land.
Dont worry. With a lame backstory and a little photoshop, Disney can now make any land a hodge podge of theme where, “the real becomes fantastical and the fantastical becomes real.” See, look, Vader visited as a kid. So now he can make appearances!

anikin.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

A force illusion has a reality about it. It can totally beat the snot out of you. Don't know if it can kill you, though, SWRebels have held out that as a danger.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

There is nothing during the show itself to imply that the characters are force illusions. Yoda's voice is heard without a physical Yoda character so maybe that but Vader and the others are portrayed as real people physically present. If they want to call them force illusions to placate adult Star Wars fanboys that's fine. Convoluted backstories are not uncommon with Disney. For the kids in the show they think they are fighting Vader or Darth Maul not a force illusion.

Matt_Black

There is nothing during the show itself to imply that the characters are force illusions. Yoda's voice is heard without a physical Yoda character so maybe that but Vader and the others are portrayed as real people physically present. If they want to call them force illusions to placate adult Star Wars fanboys that's fine. Convoluted backstories are not uncommon with Disney. For the kids in the show they think they are fighting Vader or Darth Maul not a force illusion.

Well, the exterior of the place is designed to look like a Jedi Temple, and if you watched Star Wars Rebels, you'd know that most, if not all, encounters at a Jedi Temple are illusions meant to test those who enter. :bookworm:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

Well, the exterior of the place is designed to look like a Jedi Temple, and if you watched Star Wars Rebels, you'd know that most, if not all, encounters at a Jedi Temple are illusions meant to test those who enter. :bookworm:

This. The new show is based on SWRebels plot lines. Force Illusions come up several times in SWRebels. And as mentioned above, it also showed up in The Empire Strikes back when Luke fights something that is not Darth Vader.

So, not a convoluted backstory. Quite canon, even to the original trilogy.

21stamps

Yeah, so all of our cousins, friends, most classmates, and quite a few of my coworkers are annual Disney vacationers with kids in the JTA age range. I've never once heard anyone talk about "force illusions" and the kids definitely don't think that.

Glad I learned something new :)

J. D.

Actually the show itself does mention a few times that they are illusions manifested by fear. It's been that way since Jedi Training Academy became Trials of the Temple.

ToTBellHop

Dont worry. With a lame backstory and a little photoshop, Disney can now make any land a hodge podge of theme where, “the real becomes fantastical and the fantastical becomes real.” See, look, Vader visited as a kid. So now he can make appearances!

View attachment 231255
See? Just like WDW1974 has been saying, WDW was MUCH more affordable in the '80s. Shmi could NEVER afford to bring Anakin to even the All Star Resorts in 2017.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
From the show:

"Our greatest hopes and greatest fears may seem to come alive here. You might see frightening enemies and they might seem different for each of us. But remember they are not real. What we see is our fears seeming to be real."

"So what if we have a fear of wamp rats?"

"Then you might see wamp rats."

After DV and SS appear...

"Students, remain calm they appear to be real."

So.... perhaps a better attention to the show dialogue is in order?

TROR

Not having classic Star Wars characters,vehicles, aliens, and droids, the new land will easily be its downfall. The original trilogy is timeless but we don't know how long the sequel trilogy will be relevant. Not having those X-Wings or Imperial Shuttles or classic Stormtroopers or Darth Vader will really just harm the entire land in the long run, in my honest opinion.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This. The new show is based on SWRebels plot lines. Force Illusions come up several times in SWRebels. And as mentioned above, it also showed up in The Empire Strikes back when Luke fights something that is not Darth Vader.

So, not a convoluted backstory. Quite canon, even to the original trilogy.
JTA was not based on Star Wars Rebels. If it has been "re-imagined" to that it's the definition of a convoluted backstory.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom