Toy Story Land expansion announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Casper Gutman

It honestly baffles me that folks are OK with a bare coaster at WDW. Folks still pour hatred on the coaster in Dinoland, and that fits thematically. This is much worse.

It says something that, the week WDW completes its largest naked coaster yet, Uni announces its replacing one of its three with a more heavily-themed indoor coaster.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It honestly baffles me that folks are OK with a bare coaster at WDW. Folks still pour hatred on the coaster in Dinoland, and that fits thematically. This is much worse.

It says something that, the week WDW completes its largest naked coaster yet, Uni announces its replacing one of its three with a more heavily-themed indoor coaster.

You continue to make the same point over and over...but in different ways...

Casper Gutman

You continue to make the same point over and over...but in different ways...

I can't deny that there's some truth to this. But I don't think I'm alone in having a consistent opinion and making statements based on it. You don't seem to feel compelled to post this about folks who fill up threads talking about how awesome WDW's new announcements are... weird.

So, am I wrong? Do you feel TSL and this naked coaster will be a boon to MGM? Go ahead and make an argument - be constructive.

LithiumBill

It's a themed coaster, that happens to be exposed... The theme is Andy's back yard. Is his yard supposed to be indoors? Is Andy a mechanical genius, and able to build a giant indoor roller coaster for his toys? Is Andy a backyard imagineer?

Get past the EXPOSED COASTER. Just because the track is all laid out, does not mean it's done...

Casper Gutman

It's a themed coaster, that happens to be exposed... The theme is Andy's back yard. Is his yard supposed to be indoors? Is Andy a mechanical genius, and able to build a giant indoor roller coaster for his toys? Is Andy a backyard imagineer?

Get past the EXPOSED COASTER. Just because the track is all laid out, does not mean it's done...

It's an exposed coaster - something WDW fans have always made a point of praising WDW for not having - with an uninteresting theme crammed on after the fact. Theme did not dictate ride, budget dictated ride dictated theme.

And apparently Andy is capable of building whatever the flat ride is. So he's got some engineering chops, that kid.

And based on the other TSLs, which feature no sense of scale and make little effort to carry through the "backyard" idea, I'd argue "decorated" is a better word then "themed."

LithiumBill

It's an exposed coaster - something WDW fans have always made a point of praising WDW for not having - with an uninteresting theme crammed on after the fact. Theme did not dictate ride, budget dictated ride dictated theme.

And apparently Andy is capable of building whatever the flat ride is. So he's got some engineering chops, that kid.

And based on the other TSLs, which feature no sense of scale and make little effort to carry through the "backyard" idea, I'd argue "decorated" is a better word then "themed."

Uninteresting to you, so that means we should all be uninterested as well. My kids are surely wondering how Casper Gutman feels about Toy Story Land... because if Casper Gutman says it's not interesting, they sure as heck are not going to want to visit Disney World.

It's a themed back yard. It is not tacked on cake decorations. From my minds eye (maybe my imagination is closer to that of a 10 year old's than yours) the UFO spinner is a game, an open toy in they yard (think big Hungry Hungry Hippos). So yeah, it's a themed "land".

It's OK to not be a fan of the theme, but don;t pull the BS that it's nakde track, and YOU ALL HATED THAT WHEN UNI DID IT... And hey, stick up for those coasters you love. I adore HULK and will miss Dueling Dragons.

SpectroMan93

I don't mind the exposed track as long as they put enough theming around the coaster to make the point that's it's a backyard, and it appears they're doing so. My main concern is them getting the scale and forced perspective right so that the whole land makes you feel like the size of a toy. From the pictures I've seen from Paris and Hong Kong, it doesn't look too convincing, so I'm hoping they have learned.

No Name

I don't love it.

Sure, it's supposed to be a toy coaster that Andy built, but let's be real... it doesn't look like a toy. It looks like any other steel coaster you've ridden at any other amusement park. If they hid the bolts and themed the safety railings, etc etc, they could make it look more like a toy. But they aren't doing that. They aren't doing enough. It comes off as cheap.

I think it'll add some much needed energy to the park, especially since every other ride except for ToT is entirely indoors. However, rides can be both outdoors and well-themed.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, July 25. Update on Toy Story Land entrance passage. As viewed through the construction scrim, part of the sound stage's (next to the Toy Story Mania building) lower walls have been removed.

IMG_9893.JPG

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

WDW fans have also been wildly inconsistent in their expectations, which means, if you're WDW, you kinda shrug off their pouting when their expectations aren't met.

"Fans" whine about sightlines with regard to the Swolphin, but if you turn around you can see the warehouses of Test Track and Imagination, and if you go to the MK, you can certainly see other lands at various places.

"Fans" whine about the purity of Future World but blind themselves to how Figment was a 'shoehorn' into that ideal. "You need imagination to make scientific progress!" That's a load of bullpuckey. If you want edutainment, then you have a display of inventive geniuses that had used their imagination and highlight their inventions... not have a purple dragon sing how great imagination is.

"Fans" will long for a dancing sci-fi spaceman in Captain EO to come back, but eschew the dancing spaceman, Star Lord.

"Fans" will say how important AAs are, and then nostalgically blind themselves to how awful some of the AAs are in TGMR, PotC, and Mermaid ride instead of demanding all AAs be up to the standard of The Wicked Witch, American Adventure, HoP, Elsa, and the Na'vi Shaman. When you look at the good AAs and you aren't disgusted by mannequins on a turntable... you're not consistent.

And "Fans" will decry exposed tracks of coasters in TSL, but not get excited at another dark coaster in GotG; or, not get their hair on fire when they see the exposed tracks of Barnstormer, or the metal arms of every spinner, or that the horse their riding is make of wood and mounted on a very visible pole!

Casper Gutman

WDW fans have also been wildly inconsistent in their expectations, which means, if you're WDW, you kinda shrug off their pouting when their expectations aren't met.

"Fans" whine about sightlines with regard to the Swolphin, but if you turn around you can see the warehouses of Test Track and Imagination, and if you go to the MK, you can certainly see other lands at various places.

"Fans" whine about the purity of Future World but blind themselves to how Figment was a 'shoehorn' into that ideal. "You need imagination to make scientific progress!" That's a load of bullpuckey. If you want edutainment, then you have a display of inventive geniuses that had used their imagination and highlight their inventions... not have a purple dragon sing how great imagination is.

"Fans" will long for a dancing sci-fi spaceman in Captain EO to come back, but eschew the dancing spaceman, Star Lord.

"Fans" will say how important AAs are, and then nostalgically blind themselves to how awful some of the AAs are in TGMR, PotC, and Mermaid ride instead of demanding all AAs be up to the standard of The Wicked Witch, American Adventure, HoP, Elsa, and the Na'vi Shaman. When you look at the good AAs and you aren't disgusted by mannequins on a turntable... you're not consistent.

And "Fans" will decry exposed tracks of coasters in TSL, but not get excited at another dark coaster in GotG; or, not get their hair on fire when they see the exposed tracks of Barnstormer, or the metal arms of every spinner, or that the horse their riding is make of wood and mounted on a very visible pole!

So this is a pretty big collection of strawmen. To take on a few - I've seen quite a few people get upset at the Barnstormer, a cheap, poorly thought out addition, and the Magic Carpets. You've seen these people too.

It is not intellectually dishonest at all to accept both basic and advanced AAs when both are used well in constructing amusing, well-built scenes. The point, again, is to craft a pleasing whole using appropriate ride elements. Even Screenzzzz, when carefully integrated and not supplanting all other elements, can be useful tools. This particular complaint is utter nonsense.

I've never been a huge fan of Figment, but saying he doesn't fit into the "edutainment" theme is absurd. "Edutainment" is meant to be educational entertainment - it can consist of things like Donald Duck in Mathland ("What's that duck doing in my educational short???"). You seem to have confused "edutainment" with "dry documentary presentation," weird.

You're gonna defend Disney no matter what. That's fine, it's a perspective. But I am amazed by the drive to defend TSL, a truly pathetic tribute to WDW's cost cutting and, apparently, "fans" low expectations.

And you know what really gets me? This whole post comes from a mindset that the fans have somehow FAILED WDW, that they owed WDW something in the first place. That's a horribly distorted way of thinking about any fandom or any corporation. The fans owe WDW absolutely nothing - not loyalty, not praise, not even consistency, nothing.

Casper Gutman

Now who's propping up the straw man? I just took at jab at lousy AAs in the previous post. But if you want to dismiss me with an ad hominem, fine. Would it make you feel better if you called me a pixie duster?

I've never called anyone a pixie duster. You cut the next sentence, when I said steadfastly defending Disney is a legitimate perspective.

Oh, and by the way, I took issue with you on many of the specifics of your argument - the opposite of the ad hominem you accuse me of here. How about engaging on those.

Last edited:

Pedro Soto

Uninteresting to you, so that means we should all be uninterested as well. My kids are surely wondering how Casper Gutman feels about Toy Story Land... because if Casper Gutman says it's not interesting, they sure as heck are not going to want to visit Disney World.

It's a themed back yard. It is not tacked on cake decorations. From my minds eye (maybe my imagination is closer to that of a 10 year old's than yours) the UFO spinner is a game, an open toy in they yard (think big Hungry Hungry Hippos). So yeah, it's a themed "land".

It's OK to not be a fan of the theme, but don;t pull the BS that it's nakde track, and YOU ALL HATED THAT WHEN UNI DID IT... And hey, stick up for those coasters you love. I adore HULK and will miss Dueling Dragons.

Well said :)

LithiumBill

You don't understand people having opinions that differ from yours?
OH, I do. What I don't understand is the generalization of the word fans you throw around. Also the vehement rhetoric that goes along with it. I mean you did say, "It honestly baffles me that folks are OK with a bare coaster at WDW." It baffles you that others have differing views.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom