News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Hatbox Ghostbuster

OMG, someone who gets it.

I try to explain this concept often here, but it usually falls on deaf ears.

The very nature of things like health, energy, etc. - they are just impossible to keep up with in a theme park attraction. This historical aspect of EPCOT Center (WoM, etc.) was one thing as history is (mostly, though not always) history (we are becoming more aware of the realities of things all the time that we once thought much differently about), but the "cutting edge" stuff just doesn't work.

It's not even just "keeping up" with it - but also how politicized and ideological things have become today. They not only would have to make constant changes, but also constant value judgements as to what to include and not.

While I was one of those kids that was inspired by the original EPCOT Center, honestly, the Internet really killed that aspect for future generations. You can learn more about a topic in 30 minutes on the Internet, getting the most current information about pretty much anything. Disney just cannot compete there.

I truly admire the original intent (well, the "original" intent behind the park itself, as we all know the long history before that) - that said, while it was remarkable, it simply was not sustainable.
I get what you're saying...but I don't really think Disney felt like it was their park's duty to teach people everything they needed to know about a certain subject. They took the reality of the world and imparted an imaginative and fantastical side to it. Obviously, UoE wasn't meant to take the place of a school lecture on Energy. Same goes for the Seas, The Land, etc. Learning was a by-product of visiting Epcot and, for me personally, a spring board for wanting to learn more about the subjects. I mean, no one sat through Kitchen Kabaret, and thought, "I know everything there is to know about nutrition!" lol

Kamikaze

It is not a joke. It is exactly how the Marvel Theme Park Universe is constructed.

No, no it isn't.

There are currently two attractions in the Marvel TPU that we know the story of:

1) Iron Man Experience at HKDL. Takes place because Stark Expo is at HKDL. Then something goes wrong (this isn't a novel concept for a thrill attraction).
2) GotG: Mission BREAKOUT!. The comic goes into why its at DLR. The Collector's Fortress can travel to different locations. So he chooses locations where the most viewers can see his collection. One of those places is obviously DLR since it gets massive foot traffic as we all know.

Those are why the attractions are where they are. We don't have any details for this attraction yet, so we can't say for sure what the story will be for why its at Epcot, but its going to be better than 'Peter Quill went here as a kid'.

lazyboy97o

No, no it isn't.

There are currently two attractions in the Marvel TPU that we know the story of:

1) Iron Man Experience at HKDL. Takes place because Stark Expo is at HKDL. Then something goes wrong (this isn't a novel concept for a thrill attraction).
2) GotG: Mission BREAKOUT!. The comic goes into why its at DLR. The Collector's Fortress can travel to different locations. So he chooses locations where the most viewers can see his collection. One of those places is obviously DLR since it gets massive foot traffic as we all know.

Those are why the attractions are where they are. We don't have any details for this attraction yet, so we can't say for sure what the story will be for why its at Epcot, but its going to be better than 'Peter Quill went here as a kid'.
All Marvel attractions take place at the park. Peter has brought the Guardians of the Galaxy to Epcot because he visited and liked EPCOT Center. That really is the reason.

Kamikaze

All Marvel attractions take place at the park. Peter has brought the Guardians of the Galaxy to Epcot because he visited and liked EPCOT Center. That really is the reason.

I know you like repeating this, but you don't have anything to back this up. You are basically saying there is no backstory to these attractions other than 'they happen here'. I have given you the backstory to the other two. Unless you know that the joke photo is the only backstory, you're going to have to post something other than the same post over again.

lazyboy97o

I know you like repeating this, but you don't have anything to back this up. You are basically saying there is no backstory to these attractions other than 'they happen here'. I have given you the backstory to the other two. Unless you know that the joke photo is the only backstory, you're going to have to post something other than the same post over again.
That is it, no matter how much people want to delude themselves into thinking otherwise. The whole set at the park thing is there so any Marvel attraction can fit anywhere.

Captain Neo

The very nature of things like health, energy, etc. - they are just impossible to keep up with in a theme park attraction. This historical aspect of EPCOT Center (WoM, etc.) was one thing as history is (mostly, though not always) history (we are becoming more aware of the realities of things all the time that we once thought much differently about), but the "cutting edge" stuff just doesn't work.

It's not even just "keeping up" with it - but also how politicized and ideological things have become today. They not only would have to make constant changes, but also constant value judgements as to what to include and not.

While I was one of those kids that was inspired by the original EPCOT Center, honestly, the Internet really killed that aspect for future generations. You can learn more about a topic in 30 minutes on the Internet, getting the most current information about pretty much anything. Disney just cannot compete there.

I truly admire the original intent (well, the "original" intent behind the park itself, as we all know the long history before that) - that said, while it was remarkable, it simply was not sustainable.

This argument is such a cop out and something I've been hearing since the late 90s. You really believe that subjects weren't politicized in the era Epcot Center was being designed and expanded on? Walt Disney designed the iconic 1960s Tomorrowland during the most turbulent political climate in history and had it remained it would have been just as relevant, timeless, family oriented and Disney-Esque (hey whaddya know it satisfies all of Chapeks check marks!) as it was when it opened.

A Future World, Tomorrowland, Epcot, etc. can be made right now that will be iconic and exciting for at least two decades with minimal tweaks but the fact is nobody wants to make the effort and the company no longer has any guts.

Incomudro

Thank You.
I loved the original Epcot.
It was my favorite park at the time.
But the world changed - the way we get information changed - in a way that we didn't even imagine.
I used to love how Epcot showcased technology before we the public were going to get it.

Incomudro

Don't get me wrong I'm not a fan of Nye at all. He is actually pretty annoying; however I do feel that most people drag his name through the mud because of his political and environmental beliefs.
The guy is a freaking engineer and is a pretty smart dude. He doesn't flip burgers for Christ Sake! I'm pretty sure that a bulk of the people on this site including myself couldn't sniff an engineering degree.

I used to like him.
I've always been a science buff since I was a little kid, and I'm a big Carl Sagan fan.
I always assumed Nye was a scientist, never bothered to check his credentials because essentially I liked him.
But then (and this is very recent) I started to notice him using very unscientific methodology to support what he was preaching.
I would say to my wife "This guy's politics are effecting his science."
It was only then that I looked Nye up, and found out that he is not a scientist at all.
He really is just a "science guy."
Well, hell - so am I.
What I don't like is that Nye is using the guise that he using science to support his positions.
In reality he's become a charlatan.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

Perhaps. But there are aspects of rides that are timeless -- speed, Gs, inversions, air-time, length -- that make "theming" more-or-less superfluous for many riders. Guardians or Goofy, it doesn't really matter if you have a world-class coaster hosting the scenery.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It was only then that I looked Nye up, and found out that he is not a scientist at all.

Since when is getting a degree in engineering and then working as an engineer for Boeing for almost a decade not make one a scientist? Do planes fly on magic?

Neil deGrasse Tyson is someone everyone recognizes as a scientist, but he has hosted shows that feature science in areas in which he does not have expertise.

I would say to my wife "This guy's politics are effecting his science."

It can be just as easily said that politics are affecting whether one considers him a scientist.

It's the new thing: If you don't like the message, destroy the credibility of the messenger, rather than simply argue the merits of the message.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom