News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

21stamps

The blind don't realize that most Disney tourists don't even stay at Disney.... and why Disney needs to have those massive parking lots that fill up :banghead:. And it's been this way for decades... and why Orlando continues to grow, not just disneynthemselves.

Sand lake rd and I drive have way more variety in dining and entertainment than the Disney-blinders crowd could ever realize. Even the big polished places like pointe Orlando... which is not much more than an outdoor mall is a worthy stop for food compared to what used to be the leader at Disney.

This sounds like the people that go to a Sandles resort and consider themselves worldly and experienced.

So people who are going to Orlando.. with theme parks as part of their vacation.

I think that's exactly what everyone has been saying.

People going for purely a "city" will probably choose a different one.. and if purely a "Florida vacay", will probably choose a different spot.

It's not an assault on Orlando. It just is what it is, Orlando tourism thrives mostly because of it's theme parks. Without them it would not be such an internationally huge vacation destination.

Theme parks out of the equation- the two most internationally viewed- Miami vs Orlando. Why are people visiting Orlando? For their beaches and dining? Come on now, it's not a bad thing to say theme parks drive tourism, and it doesn't mean that they are the only thing to do while there.

Last edited:

raven

Theme parks out of the equation- the two most internationally viewed- Miami vs Orlando. Why are people visiting Orlando? For their beaches and dining? Come on now, it's not a bad thing to say theme parks drive tourism, and it doesn't mean that they are the only thing to do while there.
I think this was the point that @flynnibus was making as well as what Inwas trying to point out.

Yes, parks are what pull people to Orlando but many of them know that there are things outside that they may be interested, more so now than even 5 years ago. I, myself, was also simply responding to a member who suggested that there was nothing to do outside of Disney that can't be done in their own hometown yet he never stepped foot outside to see for himself. I believe most people here know that statement isn't true.

Laketravis

The blind don't realize that most Disney tourists don't even stay at Disney.... and why Disney needs to have those massive parking lots that fill up :banghead:. And it's been this way for decades... and why Orlando continues to grow, not just disneynthemselves.

Sand lake rd and I drive have way more variety in dining and entertainment than the Disney-blinders crowd could ever realize. Even the big polished places like pointe Orlando... which is not much more than an outdoor mall is a worthy stop for food compared to what used to be the leader at Disney.

This sounds like the people that go to a Sandles resort and consider themselves worldly and experienced.

We were in that crowd that always flew to MCO, took MDE to the resort, and stayed "in the bubble" until we caught MDE back to the airport.

Until the last few years after we decided to venture out one day and were really surprised just how close civilization actually was to AKL. The next time we went we rented a car at the airport, skipped MDE, and spent a few days out of our two week stay exploring Orlando. The experience was so good that the next time we even skipped the flight and just made a road trip out of it, driving to Orlando and staying for three weeks experiencing things we'd never be able to do in Austin, Dallas, San Antonio or Houston. A couple of times I've been back and haven't even gone to either park system.

Point is in terms of dining Yachtsman's, CG, Citricos, Narcoossee's and others just don't seem the same anymore after having ventured out to Sand Lake and International Drive. The WDW resorts still hold a unique flair for us that's hard to identify when compared to off-site options but their recent refurbishments and future concept renderings appear to nullify that flair with an almost Ikea flat pack look.

21stamps

I think this was the point that @flynnibus was making as well as what Inwas trying to point out.

Yes, parks are what pull people to Orlando but many of them know that there are things outside that they may be interested, more so now than even 5 years ago. I, myself, was also simply responding to a member who suggested that there was nothing to do outside of Disney that can't be done in their own hometown yet he never stepped foot outside to see for himself. I believe most people here know that statement isn't true.

I agree with that. I didn't see anyone say differently. Again, I think he was just saying that food and souvenirs aren't a reason to leave, if you are staying on Disney property. I agree with that. But, I think the whole convo was sparked by a miscommunication.lol

SugarMagnolia75

Disney was worried enough about people leaving property to shop (especially at the outlets) to upgrade Downtown Disney to Disney Springs. Now I can go to a Lilly Pullitzer and Art of Shaving store at my local mall so I don't feel any reason to go.

While some people fly and stay inside the Disney bubble, many people at WDW have a car. I'm hoping that the PP who bumped the thread is correct and they decided against the fees. I really think it would be a bad business decision to charge hotel guests. If you are going to charge those not staying onsite, I think WDW will have to validate parking for those who make a resort purchase (dining or retail) or they will lose more money.

raven

Disney was worried enough about people leaving property to shop (especially at the outlets) to upgrade Downtown Disney to Disney Springs.
That was their thinking, I'm pretty sure, when they were planning that upgrade. But, in my opinion, a lot of the stores they added are geared for guests way above the average income level of their guests. I understand they are a novelty but in all honesty, they aren't really vacationing at Disney to shop for high end clothing.

So, trying to see where guests were actually shopping at Disney Springs, I took careful observations of guest flow and their areas of interest during my past few visits there for my own curiosity. The new sections of Disney Springs had plenty of guests walking on the paths in the open areas outside of the shops. Inside those shops there were a few people in some stores, other stores had more. But the biggest thing I noticed was when guests came out of these stores they weren't carrying any merchandise. Next I went to the World of Disney and it was a completely different story. This place was packed (as it was still Spring Break for some) and it was difficult at times to navagate the store. The lines at the registers were long and people were buying things. Then I noticed the restaurants and the amount of people that were in them or going into them.

So it seems, from my observation, that a lot of guests weren't really into the big expensive merchandise stores but rather preferred restaurants and stores with official Disney merchandise. This isn't a negative thing, just something I observed and you may observe for yourself sometime.

I rather think some of those stores were also added to attract locals into Disney Springs and pull them away from the nearby outlet malls (which may also be the reason they don't charge for parking). If this is the case then it makes more sense but a visit to those other outlet malls will show you which stores they are going into, and they aren't the high end retail ones. I'd really love to see Disney add some of these stores in order to attract a wider audience. Yes, it's supposed to be unique and it is but in my opinion certain sections of DS isn't really doing much.

I realize this isn't on the topic of the thread but I wanted to comment on this subject when it came up here as it was something I've observed lately. Again, not a negative observation but an interesting one at least.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That was their thinking, I'm pretty sure, when they were planning that upgrade. But, in my opinion, a lot of the stores they added are geared for guests way above the average income level of their guests. I understand they are a novelty but in all honesty, they aren't really vacationing at Disney to shop for high end clothing.

So, trying to see where guests were actually shopping at Disney Springs, I took careful observations of guest flow and their areas of interest during my past few visits there for my own curiosity. The new sections of Disney Springs had plenty of guests walking on the paths in the open areas outside of the shops. Inside those shops there were a few people in some stores, other stores had more. But the biggest thing I noticed was when guests came out of these stores they weren't carrying any merchandise. Next I went to the World of Disney and it was a completely different story. This place was packed (as it was still Spring Break for some) and it was difficult at times to navagate the store. The lines at the registers were long and people were buying things. Then I noticed the restaurants and the amount of people that were in them or going into them.

So it seems, from my observation, that a lot of guests weren't really into the big expensive merchandise stores but rather preferred restaurants and stores with official Disney merchandise. This isn't a negative thing, just something I observed and you may observe for yourself sometime.

I rather think some of those stores were also added to attract locals into Disney Springs and pull them away from the nearby outlet malls (which may also be the reason they don't charge for parking). If this is the case then it makes more sense but a visit to those other outlet malls will show you which stores they are going into, and they aren't the high end retail ones. I'd really love to see Disney add some of these stores in order to attract a wider audience. Yes, it's supposed to be unique and it is but in my opinion certain sections of DS isn't really doing much.

I realize this isn't on the topic of the thread but I wanted to comment on this subject when it came up here as it was something I've observed lately. Again, not a negative observation but an interesting one at least.
I think a lot of the high end stores are geared toward the convention business. The average tourist family with kids in tow may not want to stop and shop for high end clothing, but an adult in Orlando for a convention who is already going to Disney Springs for dinner might be more interested. The volume of sales at those types of stores is also naturally going to be lower because the margins are so high. It's not surprising that the World of Disney and similar type stores are more popular. I still think the vast majority of visitors to Diane Springs are going for Disney souvenirs and food. It will be interesting to see if the high end stores make it or if there is a lot of turnover.

Kman101

I've noticed this as well. Plenty of people but a lot of the stores are empty empty empty (except Uniqlo, which I personally really liked and found fairly affordable, but that's me). I can't really say anything about the restaurants (It appears most of them are a hit, and are pricey, but guests are used to paying for overpriced food, and most of it seems to be quality so it's worth the price tag) but you are spot on here.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I've noticed this as well. Plenty of people but a lot of the stores are empty empty empty (except Uniqlo, which I personally really liked and found fairly affordable, but that's me). I can't really say anything about the restaurants (It appears most of them are a hit, and are pricey, but guests are used to paying for overpriced food, and most of it seems to be quality so it's worth the price tag) but you are spot on here.
I always felt the same way in Vegas. Most of the high end stores were empty, but I think they only need a sales or 2 per hour on average to make enough to stay in business.

Kman101

I always felt the same way in Vegas. Most of the high end stores were empty, but I think they only need a sales or 2 per hour on average to make enough to stay in business.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured too. They don't need a lot of sales to likely make a profit. I'm just assuming this, of course. But I encourage everyone to visit Uniqlo. (I also gave Chapel Hats my business as well as the great Coca-Cola store)

And I don't know that they aimed it for the American tourists, it was likely aimed for the foreign tourists who go off-site and shop at the malls and outlets outside of the area and in and around Orlando. They wanted to capture some of that money. Those high end stores were for them, not for me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured too. They don't need a lot of sales to likely make a profit. I'm just assuming this, of course. But I encourage everyone to visit Uniqlo. (I also gave Chapel Hats my business as well as the great Coca-Cola store)

And I don't know that they aimed it for the American tourists, it was likely aimed for the foreign tourists who go off-site and shop at the malls and outlets outside of the area and in and around Orlando. They wanted to capture some of that money. Those high end stores were for them, not for me.
Good point on international tourists. Between convention visitors and international guests that's a pretty decent size market for niche stores. It will still be interesting to see if most make it or not.

Kman101

Good point on international tourists. Between convention visitors and international guests that's a pretty decent size market for niche stores. It will still be interesting to see if most make it or not.

I personally don't see the 'mall' portion doing so hot, but time will tell I guess. I don't really know that they 'needed' that portion. It's really nice and all that, I suppose ... somehow they felt there was a market for it.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I personally don't see the 'mall' portion doing so hot, but time will tell I guess. I don't really know that they 'needed' that portion. It's really nice and all that, I suppose ... somehow they felt there was a market for it.
For Disney there was a market...all those stores are paying rent:greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy: The beauty of 3rd party vendors is it doesn't matter if the stores themselves are making a killing just as long as they make enough to keep paying the rent.

Kman101

For Disney there was a market...all those stores are paying rent:greedy::greedy::greedy::greedy: The beauty of 3rd party vendors is it doesn't matter if the stores themselves are making a killing just as long as they make enough to keep paying the rent.

Oh that's an excellent point I didn't even think about (and I totally should have!). Yeah, they're making a profit so they don't care. It's money no matter what. But they also should hope the stores succeed and stick around to pay said rent.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Oh that's an excellent point I didn't even think about (and I totally should have!). Yeah, they're making a profit so they don't care. It's money no matter what. But they also should hope the stores succeed and stick around to pay said rent.
That's the real challenge. It's definitely better for Disney if they do well. One recently reported negative side effect for Disney is that some of the new higher end 3rd party restaurants at Disney Springs may be canabalizing sales from the signature restaurants run by Disney.

Kman101

That's the real challenge. It's definitely better for Disney if they do well. One recently reported negative side effect for Disney is that some of the new higher end 3rd party restaurants at Disney Springs may be canabalizing sales from the signature restaurants run by Disney.

I can believe that. They're all pretty nice and seem to have quality food. Disney has forced itself to up their own game. Heh.

raven

I can believe that. They're all pretty nice and seem to have quality food. Disney has forced itself to up their own game. Heh.
Well, to what cost? Some of Disney's well known staple restaurants across property have taken a dive in recent years. O'Hana's quality has dropped dramatically. And the fun atmosphere of servers being very playful at 50's Prime Time Cafe is just a hint of what it used to be like, at least in my last 2 visits. These could just be current management issues though.

Kman101

Well, to what cost? Some of Disney's well known staple restaurants across property have taken a dive in recent years. O'Hana's quality has dropped dramatically. And the fun atmosphere of servers being very playful at 50's Prime Time Cafe is just a hint of what it used to be like, at least in my last 2 visits. These could just be current management issues though.

Well, I was more referring to Disney Springs. I admit to not having hit a lot of the "signatures" in the parks/hotels (edit: not restaurants! lol I'm tired) themselves but I personally wouldn't go into PrimeTime expecting anything more than table-service with quick service food. But that's me, lol. I've heard though that Primetime has gone down quite a bit, be it both food and service. Funny you mention O'Hana's as I've heard that's also gone down. I just don't have my own personal experiences with them to go by. I do think they've made a lot of improvements overall in the food quality around the property. And I probably should have said "forcing" not that everything has been brought up to par. It's still a bit of a mixed bag.

Last edited:

drizgirl

I wonder how long the leases are on those high end shops. It seems when those leases come up for renewal is when we'll start getting our first real feel for how this overhaul is really faring. Disney will definitely care if those shops are successful or they'll end up looking like everyone's local mall with empty shops and "for lease" signs all over the place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom