Tropical Depression Nine impact to Walt Disney World

emcclay

Drove from Winter Garden to Haines City around 9pm and it wasn't too bad.. even though I was quite anxious that a random tornado would touch down.

raven

A Tornado touched down on Independence Parkway and 429 around 8:45pm last night all is well Florida is open today.
Actually 3 of them did within 30 minutes last night. I live in that area but since all of the buildings are concrete, not much damage.

Wind advisory until 4:30pm today and many more storms to follow.

Seanual757

Actually 3 of them did within 30 minutes last night. I live in that area but since all of the buildings are concrete, not much damage.

Yea I am over in Ocoee we had lots of wind and rain and herd emergency vehicles shooting down the 429 last night.

mimitchi33

I saw on the news yesterday that kids were actually excited for this hurricane "because they can surf on waves". It didn't look that bad on TV...although they did show a traffic jam of what seemed to be people evacuating?

Disone

Lasf night was super calm. There was a huge disconnect between what I was seeing on the radar of TV news, and what I was experiencing. It was literally sprinkles and breezes last night. This morning it's been a very persistent but also light rain. Almost zero wind activity, every once in awhile a good Breeze will come through. Your typical Florida summer thunderstorm is much more violent than what central Florida is currently experiencing. In fact in my experience since 1995 living here, tropical storms typically do not have the heavy lightning and thunder activity that the thunderstorms have and today is certainly another example of that. The airport is fine, Walt Disney World is fine, I'll even throw in Universal and SeaWorld are fine :) in fact the forecast calls for the weather beginning to clear around 5 p.m. and by 8 p.m. the light rains should stop.... so Mickey's not-so-scary will probably go off without a hitch.

JCtheparrothead

I live in summerport and Windermere and those 3 were pretty close to me plus a lot of action in downtown windermere. Other than that not too bad last night.

cdeev8690

I just want to point out that radars do not have the ability to lie. Just because your side of town wasn't experiencing any nasty weather, doesn't mean there wasn't. Seriously, why are people so ignorant about weather? Drives me up the wall.

Reminds me of North East winters. One town gets a foot and a half of snow, another town 10 miles away gets 4 inches. The town that's snowed in is glad they ran out for shovels, water, bread, and fire wood while the other town is calling the news team's meteorologist an idiot. Even Sandy was the same way, for those of us on Long Island at least. Storm surges were killer to those on the south shore, while everyone else had to make do with cold showers for a few days and had the audacity to call the storm a "bust" (losing power for a week, downed tress, power lines, flooded homes, governor of NY shuts down Long Island Railroad, bridges, and tunnels to and from NYC so you're effectively stranded on Long Island...yeah...sounds like a bust to me...)

disney4life2008

Lasf night was super calm. There was a huge disconnect between what I was seeing on the radar of TV news, and what I was experiencing. It was literally sprinkles and breezes last night. This morning it's been a very persistent but also light rain. Almost zero wind activity, every once in awhile a good Breeze will come through. Your typical Florida summer thunderstorm is much more violent than what central Florida is currently experiencing. In fact in my experience since 1995 living here, tropical storms typically do not have the heavy lightning and thunder activity that the thunderstorms have and today is certainly another example of that. The airport is fine, Walt Disney World is fine, I'll even throw in Universal and SeaWorld are fine :) in fact the forecast calls for the weather beginning to clear around 5 p.m. and by 8 p.m. the light rains should stop.... so Mickey's not-so-scary will probably go off without a hitch.

The media definitely over exaggerated the storm at least for orlando. iT TAI
The campus is nice, I think he was more referring to the area around it

Honestly, the area around UCF is nice. Before I moved here, everyone called this area "shady" but it is no more shady than any other city in the united states. i live in the UCF area and love it.

disney4life2008

Me too, I am really considering residing permanently on this side of town once I'm done with schoold. Depending on where I get a job of course

I mean you cant go wrong. Compared to other areas, rent is pretty good (cheaper than the tourist areas). The only negative is traffic and people cant drive on this side of town but its no worse than airport or i-4 traffic.

Sped2424

The media definitely over exaggerated the storm at least for orlando. iT TAI

Honestly, the area around UCF is nice. Before I moved here, everyone called this area "shady" but it is no more shady than any other city in the united states. i live in the UCF area and love it.
The UCF area is beautiful and great I've lived here all my life and find it to be one of the best places to live in Orlando!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom