Does the talking Mickey have pre-recorded messages?

ChantingTiki

Original Poster
I was just watching some videos on him and I noticed quite a few awkward silences with some conversations. I know it would be deathly impossible for a Cast Member to wear a warm suit and talk, unless they have a seperate voice actor.

mimitchi33

No. I saw him say "Konnichiwa!" and "Sayonara!" in a Sen, Momo and Ai Channel video, because the family came from Japan.
I've also seen this techonology used for other costume characters.

Cmdr_Crimson

There was one time I went to meet Magician Mickey and said the same exact joke to two families......The second family said "You said that joke to the last family Mickey" Mickey's reply was just an IDK Shrug.....So that's gotta mean something...I guess?

pumpkin7

The one that premiered a few years ago I could have sworn was Mickey actually talking to people, so he was answering their questions, repeating their names and their ages if it was their birthday and it sounded really fluid. I think he was at D23 one year maybe? And I've seen a video of him as a magician like this as well. I'm guessing it worked a bit like the Laugh Floor or something with people listening in and speaking through a voice changer. The one video I saw, the mother nearly burst into tears because Mickey was actually having a full on discussion with her daughter. And one was a video of a teenager meeting him.

The newer ones sound awkward and pre recorded. If people ask him a question, he has to gloss over it, or you get an awkward response. I really hope they go back to the first version.

asianway

The one that premiered a few years ago I could have sworn was Mickey actually talking to people, so he was answering their questions, repeating their names and their ages if it was their birthday and it sounded really fluid. I think he was at D23 one year maybe? And I've seen a video of him as a magician like this as well. I'm guessing it worked a bit like the Laugh Floor or something with people listening in and speaking through a voice changer. The one video I saw, the mother nearly burst into tears because Mickey was actually having a full on discussion with her daughter. And one was a video of a teenager meeting him.

The newer ones sound awkward and pre recorded. If people ask him a question, he has to gloss over it, or you get an awkward response. I really hope they go back to the first version.
D23 was a live actor. There were also a few live actor tests at MK, but those were rare from what I heard.

Everything else is canned.

DisAl

The talking Mickey at Town Square Theatre in the Magic Kingdom seems to be real time conversation. As far as our experience goes I think this is the only talking Mickey at WDW. I think takes at least two people; one in the costume and another who is watching via multiple cameras to do the voice. That way anybody could do the shifts in the costume and the voice would remain consistent. When we went in June Mickey said things that only somebody who could actually see us could say.

ScarletBegonias

yeah, he had a pretty personal convo with my husband I about our dinner next store at Tony's. While he didn't say the name of the restaurant, he talked about how he was hungry, and maybe he'd take Minnie there for a slice of pizza later. Who knows! However they do it, It's magical to me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom