Tiffins - A new table service restaurant coming to Discovery Island at Disney's Animal Kingdom

flyerjab

Menu sounds really interesting, I'm wondering though whether it will resonate with the DDP crowd as it's more on par with Jiko which is a favorite of mine.

I actually find it to be even more exotic, more in line with Sanaa and even some of the dishes offered in the Skipper Canteen (both of which I really like so I am anxiously awaiting both Tiffins and the Nomad Lounge).

Jon81uk

Reading through that menu there is again just cuts of meat with spices on them. Is this an American thing or just a Disney thing, that exotic spiced meals are still only whole steaks with spices. The only curry dish is the vegetarian option. Why does Disney shy away from proper curries, stews and stir fries when doing exotic menus?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Reading through that menu there is again just cuts of meat with spices on them. Is this an American thing or just a Disney thing, that exotic spiced meals are still only whole steaks with spices. The only curry dish is the vegetarian option. Why does Disney shy away from proper curries, stews and stir fries when doing exotic menus?

I think because a proper curry/stew/stir-fry cannot be mass produced in a central kitchen and reheated at the restaurant. All those items need to be freshly prepared at the restaurant instead of cooking a cut of meat and squirting some (reheated) sauce on it.

Jon81uk

I think because a proper curry/stew/stir-fry cannot be mass produced in a central kitchen and reheated at the restaurant. All those items need to be freshly prepared at the restaurant instead of cooking a cut of meat and squirting some (reheated) sauce on it.

For curry and stew I would argue the opposite, they are easy to pre-produce and just reheat. Whereas grilling a steak of meat to order takes a bit more care and attention and potentially more care on the chefs part to get rare or well-done correct (where applicable).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For curry and stew I would argue the opposite, they are easy to pre-produce and just reheat. Whereas grilling a steak of meat to order takes a bit more care and attention and potentially more care on the chefs part to get rare or well-done correct (where applicable).

Perhaps stew can, But a curry needs tasting because we've all had curries which were a bit off because of too much or little of curry

No Name

For all the Rivers of Light issues and Star Wars fashion shows we've seen recently, this restaurant really looks great. The menu doesn't excite me personally since I don't go for the most exotic options, but I am very glad that they're offering more than your typical menu, including meals inspired from the actual places, which is great. The inside of the restaurant looked a bit plain to me at first, but not really anymore. It looks like they're going for cultural and elegant at the same time, which is fine by me. The described elements sound great.

And I particularly like the thing about writing your own answer to that travel and adventure question. That is a great idea! I love reading things like that and seeing other's responses and I like that it's an incentive to support the fund. I've always had faith in Joe Rhode, but it sounds like this Emily O'Brien and the other imagineers involved in this project (and the ones doing Rivers of Light, Avatar, and general park changes) really know what they're doing.

I am very observant when it comes to concept art so I couldn't help but notice that the girl in the pink hearts shirt must be adopted or vacationing with a non-family member.

I also notice that her mom (or whatever relation she has) is consumed with her electonic device! Hey, I understand that one though, it's to maintain good relations with Apple. No seriously, I kid you not, they do that for Apple just as Apple does subtle things for them. They have an agreement of some sort. The art is very nice though, despite the multiple subtle advertising elements. :cool:

Overall, looks like I'll be getting more than just a tiffin at Tiffins.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
For all the Rivers of Light issues and Star Wars fashion shows we've seen recently, this restaurant really looks great. The menu doesn't excite me personally since I don't go for the most exotic options, but I am very glad that they're offering more than your typical menu, including meals inspired from the actual places, which is great. The inside of the restaurant looked a bit plain to me at first, but not really anymore. It looks like they're going for cultural and elegant at the same time, which is fine by me. The described elements sound great.

And I particularly like the thing about writing your own answer to that travel and adventure question. That is a great idea! I love reading things like that and seeing other's responses and I like that it's an incentive to support the fund. I've always had faith in Joe Rhode, but it sounds like this Emily O'Brien and the other imagineers involved in this project (and the ones doing Rivers of Light, Avatar, and general park changes) really know what they're doing.

I am very observant when it comes to concept art so I couldn't help but notice that the girl in the pink hearts shirt must be adopted or vacationing with a non-family member.

I also notice that her mom (or whatever relation she has) is consumed with her electonic device! Hey, I understand that one though, it's to maintain good relations with Apple. No seriously, I kid you not, they do that for Apple just as Apple does subtle things for them. They have an agreement of some sort. The art is very nice though, despite the multiple subtle advertising elements. :cool:

Overall, looks like I'll be getting more than just a tiffin at Tiffins.

A small positive but I'll take it after the crapstorm that's hit WDW recently, It really does look like a worthy addition to AK.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Sunday, April 17. The "tower" for the new Tiffin's restaurant has been painted and a trellis-like structure attached on either side of the entrance wall. Work crews were installed roof tiles today, to blend with the existing roof tiles for Pizzafari.

IMG_7685.JPG

Behind the large construction wall across the main pathway, the restaurant is taking shape and new large trees were installed in front of the main building. Of note, a new barrier wall has already been installed across the main pathway to Pandora. This wall is situated at the beginning of the bridge over the Discovery River. When Tiffin's opens later this spring/summer, guests will be able to use this pathway approaching the restaurant. The restaurant will have views of the Discovery River from the back, but guests will not be able to view past the opposite river bank, as the existing tree line will obscure the view of Pandora's construction. Tiffin's will have a natural setting within the forest of Animal Kingdom.

IMG_7694.JPG

IMG_7695.JPG

IMG_7693.JPG

Added note: The closed pathway behind the restrooms near Festival of the Lion King is on the opposite side of the Discovery River from Tiffin's restaurant. Therefore, that pathway won't be open until Avatarland opens.

Last edited:

Goofyque'

Photo update as of Sunday, April 17. The "tower" for the new Tiffin's restaurant has been painted and a trellis-like structure attached on either side of the entrance wall. Work crews were installed roof tiles today, to blend with the existing roof tiles for Pizzafari.

Thanks so much for the great photo update. Love all things AK, very excited for all the new things coming. Super shots!

djkidkaz

View attachment 138357

Behind the large construction wall across the main pathway, the restaurant is taking shape and new large trees were installed in front of the main building. Of note, a new barrier wall has already been installed across the main pathway to Pandora. This wall is situated at the beginning of the bridge over the Discovery River. When Tiffin's opens later this spring/summer, guests will be able to use this pathway approaching the restaurant. The restaurant will have views of the Discovery River from the back, but guests will not be able to view past the opposite river bank, as the existing tree line will obscure the view of Pandora's construction. Tiffin's will have a natural setting within the forest of Animal Kingdom.

View attachment 138359

View attachment 138358

View attachment 138360

So does that other path connect the path near FOTLK?

Jon81uk

So does that other path connect the path near FOTLK?
The path leading away from the camera with the green construction fence is the path to Pandora (was Camp Minnie-Mickey). To the right of the camera would be Pizzafari, then Starbucks then Africa.
The path that leads from FOTLK will connect to Pandora on the opposite side of the river from Tiffins. Tiffins is on Discovery Island, Harambe and Pandora are on the other side of the river.

This might help
Tiffins is circled in RED. The yellow path leads to Pandora, with the fence in question drawn in green. Blue is the path that will connect Harambe near FOTLK and Pandora.
Df16K4n.png

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom