Interactive Shooter Experience for Star Wars Land?

bakntime

These are fair points and I agree....I suppose the 'next level' aspect for me wouldn't be technological but rather financial, in that I would hope bigger sets mixed with AAs could be blended with the use of Spiderman tech.
Totally agree. Make the experience as good as you can make it, using as much technology as necessary to great that experience to the guests. Basically what I mean is that ride technology for the sake of ride technology is sometimes just a waste of money and doesn't always guarantee a good ride experience. I think about Luigi's flying tires, in which they tried to re-invent an old concept with new technology, and it just didn't work. A simple, classic dark ride or a trackless attraction like Ratatouille might not have cost much more, yet been an instant classic. Radiator Springs Racers didn't really advance the Test Track technology from the 1990s in any significant way, yet it's a great ride (and might have been even better if they had more room to make it longer) because the ride system fit the experience they were trying to convey, and they themed it well. And then sometimes you have an attraction like Splash Mountain that takes the simplest of log flume systems and makes the experience something special.

raymusiccity

I didn't see anything about the First Order / Resistance attraction that implied any kind of interactivity. Which would be fine by me. Spider-Man and Transformers, for example, are such a rollicking experience that adding in a "shoot the bad guy" element only distracts from the experience. It's really just too much to focus on, and in some ways prevents you from enjoying the scenery. Not everything has to be interactive. I, for one, welcome a Disney attraction that uses a Transformers type ride system. I know not everyone agrees, but I love that ride system. 3D projections, good motion base, simulation of high speeds ... and it would easily allow for part of the attraction to take place in space or outdoors, along with having some practical set elements and animatronics.

I like the practical set aspect, coupled with a brief segment outdoors, like Test Track. Some old school touches would be the coupe de gras!
image.jpeg

bakntime

I like the practical set aspect, coupled with a brief segment outdoors, like Test Track. Some old school touches would be the coupe de gras!
View attachment 131882
Yes, and Cylons. Not the human-looking ones either (unless it's Tricia Helfer). I'm talking the tin can ones.

But seriously, the "outdoor" portion wouldn't even have to be actually outdoors (it's Florida after all...), it could be simulated outdoors (similar to Splash Mountain, the HM graveyard, Pirates, etc). A chase through a forested area or something might be fun. Heck, even if it's only projections like the simulated outdoors on Transformers.

wdwgreek

Others have said it, but I'll echo that it looks to me like the Millennium Falcon ride could be like a mix of Toy Story Mania and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin (Astro Blasters), and the First Order / Resistance attraction will be like Spider-Man / Transformers, possibly a coaster+EMV hybrid, or maybe a trackless system like Ratatouille/Mystic Manor.
I thought the same exact thing, it looked like they were in a trackless car like in Mystic Manor in the battle ride.

choco choco

Except the stormtroopers shooter attraction, AKA the "Battle Attraction" or WDI code name "Alcatraz" per Miceage, will be roughly six times the size of Buzz Lightyear, or three times the size of the Haunted Mansion, or roughly twice the size of Disneyland's 15 minute long Pirates of the Caribbean (not the 8 minute long Cliffs Notes version of Pirates in WDW).

The Battle Attraction is the biggest show building on the left in this map.
StarWarsExpansion-Map-Satellite-After-610x518.jpg

It's not the size, it's what you do with it.

I actually feel WDI has made a lot of rides in recent years where the show building was oversized compared to what they actually put in it (Little Mermaid, for example, or Ratatouille).

Creativity thrives under limits. Historically, the more WDI had to cram into a smaller space, the more interesting the ride got. Show scenes had to be denser and more intimate, ride paths more windy, and the staging more creative so that scenes could fit into weirdly shaped nooks and crannies.

Mystic Manor has among the smallest show buildings of any ride under Bob Iger...and it is unquestionably the best ride during his tenure.

Last edited:

brb1006

As crazy as it is- Six Flags has this exact ride that they opened in 2 of their parks last year.

It doesn't move as fast as Spider-Main/Transformers, but still has some fast turns here and there. -And it shoots like Buzz Lightyear (Actually, more like MIB).

Of course, it's also broken 50% of the time, but that's Six Flags for you. That said, it is a distraction. Still fun- but not as fun as Transformers

Reminds me of the Monsters Inc ride at Tokyo Disneyland instead of lasers you use flashlights.

EOD K9

I'm wondering if you would board the MF as you would the speeder on ST. Would it be as if you are entering a portion of the exterior of the Falcon through a hatch? Any thoughts?

ItlngrlBella

As crazy as it is- Six Flags has this exact ride that they opened in 2 of their parks last year.

It doesn't move as fast as Spider-Main/Transformers, but still has some fast turns here and there. -And it shoots like Buzz Lightyear (Actually, more like MIB).

Of course, it's also broken 50% of the time, but that's Six Flags for you. That said, it is a distraction. Still fun- but not as fun as Transformers

I *think* this is the ride we are getting at Six Flags Great America this summer.

doctornick

I thought the same exact thing, it looked like they were in a trackless car like in Mystic Manor in the battle ride.

Mystic Manor looks like a fantastic ride (would love to see them bring it to the States) but my impression is that trackless would be more limited in how much movement and in what directions are possible. Even from the brief preview video, I feel like some sort of EMV as the mechanism of movement because it seems able to quickly change directions and move different ways. So I think it will be a vehicle more similar to Spider-Man or Indiana Jones than Mystic Manor.

That said, I could be easily wrong about the capabilities of the trackless tech. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

KingOfEpicocity

Mystic Manor looks like a fantastic ride (would love to see them bring it to the States) but my impression is that trackless would be more limited in how much movement and in what directions are possible. Even from the brief preview video, I feel like some sort of EMV as the mechanism of movement because it seems able to quickly change directions and move different ways. So I think it will be a vehicle more similar to Spider-Man or Indiana Jones than Mystic Manor.

That said, I could be easily wrong about the capabilities of the trackless tech. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

i would much rather see an improved emv. its much better than the trackless cars

Mike S

There are trackless motion based vehicles at Sea World. Of course the Star Wars Battle ride will be much better than that one but the combined tech exists.

Mike S

Finally watched the video. I remember when people made a big deal about the AA's when they were first unveiled. There's only two.

Next Big Thing

i still think a lot of the more simpler effects like the Audio animatronics are much more advanced...
AA's are obviously very hard to maintain, but the only real impressive AA's Disney has built of late motion-wise have been Ursula, Lincoln and Obama.

I would list the yeti, but we all know how that turned out...

KingOfEpicocity

AA's are obviously very hard to maintain, but the only real impressive AA's Disney has built of late motion-wise have been Ursula, Lincoln and Obama.

I would list the yeti, but we all know how that turned out...

i think it would be fair to mention the Mine train and cars land AAs for their striking realism and fluid motion. much better than six flags.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom