Epcot parking lot currently closed due to capacity (Nov 7 2015)

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
It seems that, given their popularity and number, these runDisney events and other guests might be better served if more permanent and dedicated facilities were built somewhere on property.

Only problem with that different races take place and start in different parks and areas so it probably would not work or serve much of a purpose. The after parties also usually take place in the parks and people participate just to do those parties after hours in the parks etc for some of them like tonight's race. And the one at night Hollywood studios does. :)

lazyboy97o

Only problem with that different races take place and start in different parks and areas so it probably would not work or serve much of a purpose. The after parties also usually take place in the parks and people participate just to do those parties after hours in the parks etc for some of them like tonight's race. And the one at night Hollywood studios does. :)
It's 4 weekends a year. That's why the expo and registration is at the ESPN Sports Complex. But the charm is running in the parks, hence start and finish lines at them.
Seeing as a parking lot and temporary structures now suffice, the requirements at even multiple areas would obviously not be overly great.

TP2000

Do people somewhere in the country get the week off for Veterans Day?

Not the whole week, but the country takes Veterans Day itself off. It's this Wednesday, and you specifically asked about Wednesday. :)

Banks are closed (although financial markets are open). All federal and state offices are closed, and most city and county offices too (city halls, libraries, DMV, etc.). The US Postal Service does not deliver mail on Veterans Day. Almost all school systems, and many colleges, are closed. Many professional services are closed or run on limited schedules.

Most supermarkets and malls remain open however.

But its a US federal holiday that closes most public services, schools and govt. offices. Families tend to piggyback vacations onto the Veterans Day time off.

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Not the whole week, but the country takes Veterans Day itself off.

Banks are closed (although financial markets are open). All federal and state offices are closed, and most city and county offices too. The US Postal Service does not deliver mail on Veterans Day. Almost all school systems, and many colleges, are closed. Many professional services are closed or run on limited schedules.

Most supermarkets and malls remain open however.

But its a US federal holiday that closes most public services and offices. Families tend to piggyback vacations onto the Veterans Day time off.

No most schools including college are not off for Veterans Day. Have never seen schools in my state and surrounding areas off for the Veterans Day Federal Holiday. Yes government offices some are closed but some are actually still open locally. It's actually one of the least closed places federal holidays all year. Hope that last sentence made sense. Lol :)

TP2000

No most schools including college are not off for Veterans Day. Have never seen schools in my state and surrounding areas off for the Veterans Day Federal Holiday. Yes government offices some are closed but some are actually still open locally. Also most banks are still open on Veteran's Day as well. It's actually one of the least closed places federal holidays all year. Hope that last sentence made sense. Lol :)

Oh, my gosh! You are kidding?!? Here in California, and the West Coast in general, all public schools and all public colleges are closed on Veterans Day. Most private schools here also follow that format.

I'm sorry to hear you live in a part of the country that doesn't value the service our nation's veterans have given us enough to close the schools and city governments. May I ask which state that is? :(

sxeensweet

Oh, my gosh! You are kidding?!? Here in California, and the West Coast in general, all public schools and all public colleges are closed on Veterans Day. Most private schools here also follow that format.

I'm sorry to hear you live in a part of the country that doesn't value the service our nation's veterans have given us. May I ask which state that is? :(

Nope not kidding and I'm from Louisiana :) .. Most of the southern states including Florida follow the same, with schools not being off for Veteran's Day. I edited the bank part being open most of ours are closed but I know I have seen some still open.
Schools definately are not closed public and colleges at least. Don't know about the private schools. :)

Last edited:

TP2000

Louisiana :) .. I edited the bank part being open most of ours are closed but I know I have seen some still open.
Schools definately are not closed public and colleges at least. Don't know about the private schools. :)

That's truly, truly disheartening. A quick Google search shows that it's not just the California schools, plus the big school districts of Portland, Seattle and other West Coast cities that close for Veterans Day. Phoenix, Boise, Las Vegas, all close their school systems for the day. And the state universities and colleges in all those western states are closed. So it's definitely not just the West Coast, but the Western US in general.

I had absolutely no idea there were actual states in this union (forged and protected by veterans) who don't shut down for Veterans Day. It's really quite upsetting to learn that. The federal government and US Postal Service shut down for Veterans Day. If the schools are open, does that mean the Louisiana state government stays open too? City halls and county offices?

Last edited:

sxeensweet

That's truly, truly disheartening. A quick Google search shows that it's not just the California schools, plus the big school districts of Portland, Seattle and other West Coast cities that close for Veterans Day. Phoenix, Salt Lake City, Boise, Las Vegas, all close their school systems for the day. And the state universities and colleges in all those western states are closed. So it's definitely not just the West Coast, but the Western US in general.

I had absolutely no idea there were actual states in this union (forged and protected by veterans) who don't shut down for Veterans Day. It's really quite upsetting to learn that. The federal government and US Postal Service shut down for Veterans Day. If the schools are open, does that mean the Louisiana state government stays open too? City halls and county offices?

And it's not just Louisiana like I mentioned if you look at even Florida, Mississippi, etc most schools are not out. Yes a lot of our government offices are closed like yours but no not schools. DH is a vet himself and really its no big deal to him if stuff if closed or not because he is usually working and so am I because we do not have government jobs etc. The schools recognize the holiday by having special programs and such but that's it. :)

TP2000

And it's not just Louisiana like I mentioned if you look at even Florida, Mississippi, etc most schools are not out. Yes a lot of our government offices are closed like yours but no not schools. :)

I'm utterly amazed. If the local community doesn't think to close for Veterans Day I imagine the local government office closures are generated by the federal government closures, plus no banking or mail service so local business services become difficult to continue.

But the school systems and colleges staying open, especially when it's so important for children to understand and value service to the nation, is just flabbergasting to me. What is it about Veterans Day that those state's school systems don't value, I wonder?

sxeensweet

I'm utterly amazed. I imagine the government office closures are generated by the federal government closures, plus no banking or mail service so business services become difficult to continue.

But the school systems and colleges staying open, especially when it's so important for children to understand and value service to the nation, is just flabbergasting to me. What is it about Veterans Day that those states school systems don't value, I wonder?

If you look above I edited my post to add that the schools talk about and recognize it by having special programs etc all week or that day. We knew the importance and were taught about the day but growing up I was never off of school for it either and I'm 35 so it's been that way a long time for a lot of the south. :)

TP2000

If you look above I edited my post to add that the schools talk about and recognize it by having special programs etc all week or that day. We knew the importance and were taught about the day but growing up I was never off of school for it either and I'm 35 so it's been that way a long time for a lot of the south. :)

Wow, that's fascinating. But still sad. In California and the west, Veterans Day is a big holiday. There are parades and flag ceremonies and marching bands. Disneyland is open until Midnight on Wednesday and has a special veterans parade and concert that day. It will be very crowded.

Last edited:

sxeensweet

Wow, that's fascinating. But still sad. In California and all the west, Veterans Day is a big holiday. There are parades and flag ceremonies and marching bands. Disneyland is open until Midnight and has a special parade that day. It will be very crowded.

We have some local events/ceremonies and such but nothing big at all like you have. :)

sxeensweet

Looks like East Coast schools aren't out in a lot of areas as well like New Jersey. They get time from schools off known as "Jersey Week" in Disney world right before Halloween so I can see why no extra day is off for Veterans Day possibly. Bottom line from researching briefly looks like the majority of states outside of the western states do not give public schools off for Veteran's Day and most colleges don't close. As long as the students are taught about the importance of the Day I see no harm in them staying open.
:)

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Looks like East Coast schools aren't out in a lot of areas as well like New Jersey. They get time from schools off known as "Jersey Week" in Disney world right before Halloween so I can see why no extra day is off for Veterans Day possibly. Bottom line from researching briefly looks like the majority of states outside of the western states do not give public schools off for Veteran's Day and most colleges don't close. As long as the students are taught about the importance of the Day I see no harm in them staying open.
:)

Jersey week was just last week this year, so this weekend is the tail end of it.

HRHPrincessAriel

This. I'm in Texas.
Honestly, they'd learn and respect it more being in school. Kids would just be excited for the day off. That's all.:(

PhotoDave219

When was the last time Epcots lot reached capacity for only parking? Like, not marathon related?

I'm not sure. Ive parked in that third lot thats rarely used a couple of times and darn near the Cell Phone tower (next to WoodPecker Lane) one New Years Eve. I think NYE of the millenium would have come the closest.

@marni1971 Might know.

Slowjack

I didn't realize how good we had it. Not only is our daughter's elementary school closed for Veterans Day itself, but the school also hosted a Veterans Day celebration this last Friday. All family veterans were invited, the school choir sang "Step in Time" (the military tribute, not the Mary Poppins song!), awards were given to the oldest and youngest vets, etc. It was great.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom