Monorail beam cleaning and painting

ToTBellHop

Please note that my comment is in no way directed towards you, @DGracey , I jut quoted you because it pertains to how I personally feel about maintenance at WDW.

While I agree with you about deserving a better WDW, I also feel compelled to point out that while this is good news that the beams are being cleaned, it is also sad that basic maintenance and upkeep such as this has gotten to a point that we as guests are excited to see it done and compliment them for doing it. I am not just speaking about the beams but about the Monorails and the entire resort in general.

It really speaks volumes about the mindset that Disney has created in the customer when we praise them for doing basic upkeep such as carpet or pressure washing. (not referring to you @DGracey ;)) Building a new attraction may cost hundreds of millions of dollars, but cleaning the Monorails does not. Maybe because theyve ignored them for sooooo long it may cost a little extra to get them up to snuff, but that is their fault. With prices on everything from resorts to AP's skyrocketing, they have no excuse, neither does any Disney defender lurking on these boards waiting to lash out at anybody who dares to speak ill of the company.

I will say that they have stepped it up a bit lately and the WDW that we want, expect, and deserve is slowly returning. Still a ways to go, IMO. I will also praise them for an amazing job at brainwashing and conditioning peoples minds to accept the shoddy upkeep theyve practiced for over a decade and how it has allowed them to look like super heroes when they decide to finally paint a wall or change the urinal cakes in the mens room. /rant.
And yet if they do this and no one notices or says anything, it's easy for them to push off maintenance next time because, "No one notices, anyway." Ever notice how people clap throughout Wishes? Disney has trained us to expect fireworks every night in the MK for over a decade, and yet we still applaude. When Disney does what Disney does well, we should applaud so they know what we like. When they don't, we should write strongly worded comment cards and posts on these boards.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
And yet if they do this and no one notices or says anything, it's easy for them to push off maintenance next time because, "No one notices, anyway."
While that may be true, they ultimately wind up paying more money in the end. If they couldnt afford it I would understand, but they definitely can. Why delay a maintenance issue that you KNOW will cost more $ down the road and possibly take three times as long to repair due to the poor state its in. The monorails are perfect example of that type of situation. It seems it would almost be cheaper to just replace the entire fleet at this point rather than repair the myriad of problems that exist. Problems mostly born of their lack of upkeep or willingness to allocate a proper budget that allows more than just a rinse with the hose at night.

ToTBellHop

While that may be true, they ultimately wind up paying more money in the end. If they couldnt afford it I would understand, but they definitely can. Why delay a maintenance issue that you KNOW will cost more $ down the road and possibly take three times as long to repair due to the poor state its in. The monorails are perfect example of that type of situation. It seems it would almost be cheaper to just replace the entire fleet at this point rather than repair the myriad of problems that exist. Problems mostly born of their lack of upkeep or willingness to allocate a proper budget that allows more than just a rinse with the hose at night.
While I of course agree with your logic, this is a company that largely thinks about the current fiscal year only (as many in charge don't know if they will stay for more than one or two more fiscal years before moving elsewhere). Let things like popcorn lights burning out be the next manager's problem.

DGracey

I will say that they have stepped it up a bit lately and the WDW that we want, expect, and deserve is slowly returning.

My comment certainly wasn't praise, it was recognizing change finally coming for the better.

I was saying, what you were saying - I just only wrote 12 words.

For some reason they never felt they had to clean the beams. Now they do. And I hope it continues.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
My comment certainly wasn't praise, it was recognizing change finally coming for the better.

For some reason they never felt they had to clean the beams. Now they do. And I hope it continues.
Agreed. Things have been improving. If it continues, we all win, even the company. Time will tell if they are just putting a band aid on a broken leg or if they are seriously trying to return to more efficient practices. And by that, I do not mean to infer that the parks are crumbling or that the sky is falling because thats exactly how certain people will spin a statement that speaks bad of TWDC. (Again, not saying that is you).

It just gets old when you point out a flaw and along comes a Disney defender with the same tired excuses (Diz is a biz ,or why do you still go if you hate it). The current state of the monorails and especially the recent evac are good examples of how their laziness/greed is now biting them in the buttox yet they are well aware there are many people who excuse it as nothing more than a bad day.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Agreed. Things have been improving. If it continues, we all win, even the company. Time will tell if they are just putting a band aid on a broken leg or if they are seriously trying to return to more efficient practices. And by that, I do not mean to infer that the parks are crumbling or that the sky is falling because thats exactly how certain people will spin a statement that speaks bad of TWDC. (Again, not saying that is you).

It just gets old when you point out a flaw and along comes a Disney defender with the same tired excuses (Diz is a biz ,or why do you still go if you hate it). The current state of the monorails and especially the recent evac are good examples of how their laziness/greed is now biting them in the buttox yet they are well aware there are many people who excuse it as nothing more than a bad day.

THIS

jt04

Even the casual observer can see that they have made drastic changes over the last 6 years or so to infrastructure and maintenance plans. They were previously so outdated and neglected. From new transportation facilities to roads and countless other upgrades. It takes a lot of money and time to change direction of a behemouth like WDW. Carping about maintenace at this point seems like whining. You are right calling out the gloomy gus's and debbie downers at this point.

PS - The monorail beam cleaning is awsome .

PS 2 - The new ramp from I-4 is equally awesome.

Marlins1

The additional MK ferry docks were also a great add. I used to think the boats were broken down in the middle of the bay sometimes because they would wait so long for the other one to clear.
Monorail beam cleanup looks great and would not have made the cut a few years back. A new fleet is needed - hopefully they move that up the list.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Even the casual observer can see that they have made drastic changes over the last 6 years or so to infrastructure and maintenance plans
The casual observers LACK of being able to notice the cutbacks that were taking place over the years is the VERY REASON Disney was able to get away with it for so long which in turn led to the need for all the "drastic changes". If I shove everything under my bed, nobody would notice it right away, but eventually, after a long period of continuing to shove things under there, it would start to show. If I go out and buy a bigger bed to hide the bigger mess, I havent really improved anything. When I finally decide to clean it up, Im only back to square one. Would I deserve praise for that?

It takes a lot of money and time to change direction of a behemouth like WDW.
What direction was changed or even needed?

Carping about maintenace at this point seems like whining
Ignoring the much needed maintenance issues and turning a blind eye because they built a new off ramp and pressure washed something is just moronic.

PS - The monorail beam cleaning is awsome .
Again, If a child doesnt clean their room for over a month and it becomes a disaster, do you tell them that its "amazing" when they finally clean it? OR do you remind them they need to be cleaning it more often?

Nastory4

Sorry, you didn't pay enough for your stay to get clean cement... ;) The MILDLY dirty beams don't bother me, but the clean beams scream excellence and quality experience. It sends the message "someone still cares..." I equate this to visiting a business that has burnt out exterior lights on their building (for more than a night or two). Sends a message "we don't care about the small things".

Well said

jt04

The casual observers LACK of being able to notice the cutbacks that were taking place over the years is the VERY REASON Disney was able to get away with it for so long which in turn led to the need for all the "drastic changes". If I shove everything under my bed, nobody would notice it right away, but eventually, after a long period of continuing to shove things under there, it would start to show. If I go out and buy a bigger bed to hide the bigger mess, I havent really improved anything. When I finally decide to clean it up, Im only back to square one. Would I deserve praise for that?

What direction was changed or even needed?

Ignoring the much needed maintenance issues and turning a blind eye because they built a new off ramp and pressure washed something is just moronic.

Again, If a child doesnt clean their room for over a month and it becomes a disaster, do you tell them that its "amazing" when they finally clean it? OR do you remind them they need to be cleaning it more often?

It is clear to me that they now fix things to last and have an ongoing plan to keep things from becomming so degraded. To use your analogy, less is being shoved under the bed in the first place thereby solving the problem. Still some areas to improve but light years from where things were.

Cuz new management.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It is clear to me that they now fix things to last and have an ongoing plan to keep things from becomming so degraded. To use your analogy, less is being shoved under the bed in the first place thereby solving the problem. Still some areas to improve but light years from where things were.

Cuz new management.
I will agree that they are indeed fixing things, and its great to see. Definitely better than things were. I meant no disrespect towards you or anyone else for being excited about the clean monorail beams and new off ramp. To Disney, I say thank you. Im just not going to pat them on the back for it. I wouldnt to tell my employees that they are amazing for doing something today that should have been done last week. Thats all. The good part is, the future looks bright, lets hope it stays that way.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I never understood painting the beams. Paint requires way more maintenance over time as it flakes off, etc... To me, cleaning would have been a much better option.

Being concrete it's probably not paint but something like Thompsons Water Seal which is being applied after cleaning to help shed water and dirt particles.

halltd

Being concrete it's probably not paint but something like Thompsons Water Seal which is being applied after cleaning to help shed water and dirt particles.
I was just going off the OPs insistence that it was paint, and not a clean (not having seen it myself in person). After subsequent posts, it seems like it was just a clean and maybe some type of sealer like you mention.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Cuz new management.

Or.... The result of low expectations.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
I know zip about the cement mix used here, but I can tell you a coral rock / cement mix is common to parts of Florida. I say all that to say, we had one of these mixes as a driveway. After the drive would be pressure washed (and looked amazing), there was a top coat that can be added. It was porous, but helped to keep the drive looking cleaner longer. PERHAPS (guessing), this is along similar lines of what is being used on property.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I know zip about the cement mix used here, but I can tell you a coral rock / cement mix is common to parts of Florida. I say all that to say, we had one of these mixes as a driveway. After the drive would be pressure washed (and looked amazing), there was a top coat that can be added. It was porous, but helped to keep the drive looking cleaner longer. PERHAPS (guessing), this is along similar lines of what is being used on property.
Both lines use pretentioned concrete with a polystyrene core. The magic kingdom lines were cast in Washington state and the Epcot ones were done locally. I had heard people say the Epcot beams were not done as well as the original, but considering all the use they get they have held up pretty well with minimal maintenance. There have been instances of expansion joint issues and you can see areas (higher sections) where additional bracing has been installed. But for being close to 45 years old, they've aged well.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Both lines use pretentioned concrete with a polystyrene core. The magic kingdom lines were cast in Washington state and the Epcot ones were done locally. I had heard people say the Epcot beams were not done as well as the original, but considering all the use they get they have held up pretty well with minimal maintenance. There have been instances of expansion joint issues and you can see areas (higher sections) where additional bracing has been installed. But for being close to 45 years old, they've aged well.
I didn't understand all that, but I agree overall the beams have held up well.

boufa

Because they certainly can afford it

spoken by many

Not to get into a business analysis, or debate here, but no, money is tight with Disney....wait, don't write your reply back yet, read my entire comment :D

The amount of money that they have to show investors is real money, however it is money that is effectively "spent" and must be accounted for in that way. Certainly there is some wiggle room in the budget for some things, but just because they cleared $x billions in profit last quarter/year, doesn't mean that they can go and spent that money all up. In the next period they have to show various things to their investors, and if they do have a large project, then certainly they can say that profit is down due to a billion being spent on star wars land, and they will likely get away with it, but they can't say "We are down 10% in profit because we are doing a bunch of maintenance projects" I would love it if they could, but they simply can't, they would get destroyed. So yes, they could spend a little extra money, most likely it would get taken from another budget line, because another wall street metric that gets watched closely is total operating expenses. They also could and might have done this a few times, sneak up the budget for certain areas during a time when a new area opens, then dismissed the increased operating expenses as being related to the new area.... thus creating a new normal operating expense level.

You see, it is definitely not as simple as we wish it were.:banghead:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom